PDA

View Full Version : Bisexuals and Sports

fredtyg
Aug 30, 2013, 7:02 PM
Let's see if this pollhost poll works. (update: It didn't)

I came up with this idea in another bi forum. Somehow the topic of sports came up. For the first time in my life I actually found a number of guys who, like me, couldn't care less about sports. So far, most in the handful of guys that piped in aren't at all interested in sports.

That got me to thinking as we've discussed there and here signs to tell if a guy is bi or homosexual. I suggested if a majority of the guys in that group weren't interested in sports, maybe lack of interest in sports would be a good indication of bisexuality.

Keep in mind that only a handful of the 3000 plus guys in that group were involved in that discussion. I posted this same poll there and so far 4 guys have said they're sports fans with 2 saying they aren't, so from those results my idea isn't going anywhere. Still, I thought I'd try the poll here and see how this group looks in regards sports.

The wild card is whether guys who don't like sports might be predominantly bi or homosexual, yet there are bi and homo guys that do like sports. If that's the case, I'd have to poll a whole bunch of straight guys to see if there are any of them that aren't sports fans.:eek2:

<form method="post" action="http://poll.pollcode.com/tz4y2"><table border="0" width="150" bgcolor="EEEEEE" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0"><tr><td colspan="2"><font face="Verdana" size="2" color="000000"><b>Are you a sports fan?</b></font></td></tr><tr><td width="5"><input type="radio" name="answer" value="1" id="tz4y2answer1"></td><td><font face="Verdana" size="2" color="000000"><label for="tz4y2answer1">Yes</label></font></td></tr><tr><td width="5"><input type="radio" name="answer" value="2" id="tz4y2answer2"></td><td><font face="Verdana" size="2" color="000000"><label for="tz4y2answer2">No</label></font></td></tr><tr><td width="5"><input type="radio" name="answer" value="3" id="tz4y2answer3"></td><td><font face="Verdana" size="2" color="000000"><label for="tz4y2answer3">I just watch sports to be social</label></font></td></tr><tr><td width="5"><input type="radio" name="answer" value="4" id="tz4y2answer4"></td><td><font face="Verdana" size="2" color="000000"><label for="tz4y2answer4">Other</label></font></td></tr><tr><td colspan=2><center><input type="submit" value=" Vote ">&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type="submit" name="view" value=" View "></center></td></tr><tr><td colspan=2 align=right><font face="Verdana" size="1" color="000000">pollcode.com <a href="http://pollcode.com/"><font face="Verdana" size="1" color="000000">free polls</font></a>&nbsp;</font></td></tr></table></form>

Realist
Aug 30, 2013, 10:20 PM
Nothing, but gibberish there, Fred.

I'm one of those who's always thought sports was a waste of time, too. I'd rather be building something, fishing, working on cars, fabricating something tangible. I like to see the results of my efforts. I'm no couch potato, though...I walk, work in the yard, play with my GF...that's exercise enough for me.

Shit, at 73, I'm lucky to still be breathing!

OverNeath
Aug 30, 2013, 11:41 PM
I used to be a huge sports fan. Now, I could care less about pro sports! It has nothing to do with me being bisexual though. I lost interest after every pro sport went on strike over money. That proved to me that the players were no longer playing for the love of the game,but playing strictly for money. Kind of took the shine off of professional pro sports for me

fredtyg
Aug 31, 2013, 12:34 PM
I've never had much interest in sports, if any, despite playing Pop Warner football as a kid. What you refer to is probably part of the reason I never cared for sports as an adult. Not so much the money itself, but never having been able to establish any team loyalty. I don't know what the teams are, but I care less if any of them win.

After all, I don't know any of the players. I could see it if a team was from my home town and there might be a loyalty because it's my home town, but the way it is, even if a team was from a given town, those players didn't come from that town. They're recruited and added to the team as a business. I just can't get excited about it.

fredtyg
Aug 31, 2013, 12:47 PM
Nothing, but gibberish there, Fred.

Yep. So much for the poll. The one on the other site is up without a lot of participation. Last I looked it was 6/5, I believe, with 6 non- sports fans to 5 sportos. That's the most non- sports fan I've ever heard from in my life!

As far as trying to use sports interest as a way of detecting likelihood of bisexuality, after thinking about it I'm not sure a poll of bisexuals would be the best way to go about it. It would probably make more sense to take a poll of, say, 5000 certifiable straight guys, if that were even possible. I doubt that it is as even many so- called straight guys might be bi.

But, if I were to magically poll those 5000 straight guys, and only 2% of them didn't care for sports, that might be an indicator if 50 or 60 percent of bi guys didn't like sports. That wouldn't mean a guy not liking sports was bi, since maybe only half the bi guys don't like sports. But, if a guy was into sports, that might mean he's more likely not bi.

If a guy indicated no interest in sports, odds would be better in checking into his interest(s) further. I'm sure a statistician could make a formula to illustrate this but with both bi and straight groups making up 200% (100bi+ 100 straight) (98% + 50%) equals 148% out of 200 interested in sports. The non- sports guys would make up 52% and only 2% of the non- sports guys were straight. Thus, the odds are good that a guy who didn't like sports might be bi. Make sense?

Keep in mind I'm just guessing at the statistics. Mental masturbation if you will.

fredtyg
Aug 31, 2013, 12:55 PM
Update on the Bisexual Buddies sports interest poll: 6 have said they're interested in sports. 10 have no interest. 1 shows interest just for social purposes or to be polite.

Turns out a lot of the guys haven't had access to the poll due to an upgrade in the Yahoo Groups. Some apparently have gotten the upgrade and can't access the poll. Some, like me, still get the old group and can get to the poll. With over 3000 members in that group, obviously many have chosen not to participate, although it's only been up a day.

tenni
Aug 31, 2013, 4:55 PM
Fred
It is an interesting question but I wonder if it may be too broad. When someone asks me if I'm interested in sports, I immediately think about competitive team sports and in particular professional sports. Professional sports don't really require any involvement other than as an audience fan base. There are a lot of sports that are individual and usually far away from your question(at least in mind). At different times, I have played sports such as tennis and downhill skiing. Running is a sport. These sport require involvement usually. No big crowds usually.

They are pretty far away from pro hockey or baseball or football. Those are the activities that I think of when I think of the question. The guys who spout off stats about baseball etc. are the ones that I think of as sports fans but many sports fans are not really athletic.

Personally, I'd be surprised if there was a correlation between bisexuality and dislike of sports. ..maybe team sport but not even that really. As Overneath suggests a lot of people are turned off pro sports due to salary strikes etc. and not because they are bisexual.

fredtyg
Aug 31, 2013, 6:20 PM
Good point. I'm generally referring to spectator sports that people make a big deal out of and those that follow them might well be interested in sports that they can participate in.

I realize there might not be anything to this. I was just struck by hearing from more people in that other forum that aren't interested in spectator sports than I have in my entire life. That they happened to be bisexual really made me wonder. Of course, as I wrote before, I was only hearing from a handful of guys out of thousands in the group. Still, I thought it might be an interesting thing to look into.

My statistical stuff is kinda goofy. I'm basing my assumption of 50% of bi guys not liking sports on a poll with only 17 respondents so far. If you could actually take an accurate poll, it could turn out just as many straight guys don't follow sports as bi guys. If that were the case than it would certainly be meaningless whether someone likes sports or not.

Still, even without any definitive results from polling, I'll look twice if I bump into some guy that doesn't follow sports.

tenni
Aug 31, 2013, 9:09 PM
Just to warn you Fred. I have a couple of hertero buddies who are not into spectator sports. One is now into being extremely focused of physical fitness after years on inactivity. I'm just say'n ;) Some watch sports. Here in Canada, even if you are not into hockey, there is no way that you can not know about it. You do have to have at least a clue who is in the Stanely Cup finals. There is no way of avoiding it as it is dominant in our culture.

fredtyg
Aug 31, 2013, 10:11 PM
Just to warn you Fred. I have a couple of hertero buddies who are not into spectator sports. One is now into being extremely focused of physical fitness after years on inactivity. I'm just say'n ;) Some watch sports. Here in Canada, even if you are not into hockey, there is no way that you can not know about it. You do have to have at least a clue who is in the Stanely Cup finals. There is no way of avoiding it as it is dominant in our culture.

Oh, I know. I could be way off base with this, but it seems to me an innocent enough topic.

tenni
Aug 31, 2013, 11:22 PM
I think hat it is an interesting examination.

Hypersexual11
Sep 2, 2013, 7:09 AM
I was a fan of spectator sports as a kid but as time went on the sports have changed so much that I don't recognize what I used to love. Back in the day, guys that played pro sports were people to be admired. Now they are just entitled brats who don't understand or care about the influence they have on kids. I still watch football (American) but now I find myself following the coaches and watching the tactical aspect more than the rich a-holes with the ball. Just old and jaded I guess. It really has little to do with my sexuality other than I really hate being around a group of testosterone infested fat ass screaming, stat gushing douch bags who use "fandom" as their only social outlet.

elian
Sep 2, 2013, 10:26 AM
I would rather cooperate than compete so football seemed too aggressive to me, I remember being a teen and not at all very happy about the idea of slamming into other guys. I was clumsy growing up and for some strange reason I kept getting pinned in wrestling. Basketball was something I sort of liked (even then mostly shooting hoops, not really a game). My depth perception sucked and first inclination with volleyball was to step out of the way rather than get hit in the head so they let me keep score mostly.

I'm not against sport, it is a civil way to release tension, I'm just not very excited about watching others play - (lust doesn't count, right? *blushes*)

I guess it's a catch 22 - seems boring to me if you're not actually participating but I'm too self-conscious and need a lot of practice before I can participate.