PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any tips for staying cool?

pmg_ams01
Jul 15, 2006, 6:40 PM
I'm starting a new contract in Lyon, France on Monday, and the temperature is forecast to reach 100 degrees by Thursday ! As someone who has lived in Scotland for many years where the temperture rarely exceeds 70 for more than 2 days in a row, I'm dreading having to live, sleep, work in that sort of heat.

Anyone got any good tips for surviving?

Cheers,
Pete.

arana
Jul 15, 2006, 6:58 PM
Are you working indoors or outside? Airconditioning is a MUST. Light, loose fitting clothing. Personal fans and mist-ers can be helpful. Don't drink too much caffeine as it dehydrates you. Make sure to put a windshield barrier inside your car when parked or you will not be able to hold onto your steering wheel while driving. I've endured many blisters from this mistake.

I'll trade you our 115* for your 100* lol

Herbwoman39
Jul 15, 2006, 7:41 PM
Even with the windshield screen, keep a hand towel in the car to use on the steering wheel while the air conditioning kicks in. On the high-tech end, Amazon.com has a personal cooling system for $10. It fits around your neck and cools your base body temp.

Other than that, don't leave the air conditioning :-)

Lyon1369
Jul 15, 2006, 7:49 PM
Wet a tee shirt down, wring it out and put it on, any air movement will help cool you. I call it the poor man's (or in this case Woman's) Air conditioning.
Its about 100 here in Denver CO and we have fans going and have all wet our shirts down. seems to help. good luck, stay cool.
bi4now
Lyon

JrzGuy3
Jul 15, 2006, 8:44 PM
Wet a tee shirt down, wring it out and put it on, any air movement will help cool you.

Make sure the tee shirt's white, it'll reflect more of the sun's rays. And include a picture of this if it works!

allbimyself
Jul 15, 2006, 8:47 PM
If you get seriously overheated and can't seem to cool down, take washcloths and rinse in cold water. Apply one to each armpit and one to the back of the neck. And, if possible, one to your crotch.

Another alternative is to use icepacks wrapped in a thin towel.

JrzGuy3
Jul 15, 2006, 9:08 PM
And, if possible, one to your crotch.

Once again, let me stress the importance of follow-up pictures. :tongue:

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 15, 2006, 9:15 PM
Make sure the tee shirt's white, it'll reflect more of the sun's rays. And include a picture of this if it works!

That's cute. I like that ;)

My advice... loose fitting, light colored clothing, a personal cooling system, Open or breathable shoes, sandles. Always drink lots of water too.

JrzGuy3
Jul 15, 2006, 10:03 PM
I was a canvasser for the DNC two summers ago and I learned another thing. Get some lubriderm in a squeeze tude you can take places with you. As you sweat, the body often saps water from skin cells which will cause skin havoc. I could rub my palms together on a bad day and have little beads of dead skin from dehydration I'd be rubbing off. Some lubriderm (or other skin moisterizer) will help.

Also, go take a look around your local Brookstone or Sharper Image. When I was working out in a state park for a few summers, I had a device that fit around 3/4 of the neck like a horse caller and was like a little air conditioner. The idea was that it cooled off the blod flowing through your juggular and thus the rest of your body. I can't guarantee they'll still have the same thing, but they often have lots of personal coling products this time of year.

veloroo
Jul 15, 2006, 10:29 PM
Hydrate. Drink lots of water. Then drink some more. Skip the soft drinks and grog.

JrzGuy3
Jul 15, 2006, 11:08 PM
Skip the soft drinks and grog.

Partially true. Alcohol will dehydrate the body, yes. But carbonated drinks will actually reach the bloodstream faster than noncarbonated ones. Soda still isn't better than water due to the lower water content, but seltzer will do you good.

JohnnyV
Jul 15, 2006, 11:10 PM
I was a canvasser for the DNC two summers ago and I learned another thing. Get some lubriderm in a squeeze tude you can take places with you. As you sweat, the body often saps water from skin cells which will cause skin havoc. I could rub my palms together on a bad day and have little beads of dead skin from dehydration I'd be rubbing off. Some lubriderm (or other skin moisterizer) will help.

JrzGuy,

Maybe to instruct us better, you should send us photoes of you rubbing Lubriderm all over your body. You do rub it *everywhere*, don't you?

J

codybear3
Jul 16, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hydrate. Drink lots of water. Then drink some more. Skip the soft drinks and grog.

Glad someone pointed this out...DO NOT take large gulps of cold water after exerting yourself in the heat...Drinking cold water may sound like it will be refreshing but it can cause you a heat-stroke...Take mouthfuls and let it slowly dribble down...I happen to live in the desert region and water is a must...If you will be out doors, wear a head covering and long sleeves...Tee shirts are great but they won't do a thing to save your arms from the harmful UV rays...If you happen to be moving about, walk in the shade as much as possible...Other than that, everyone else has covered pretty much everything else...Hope this also helps... :paw: :paw:

FSJeepguy
Jul 16, 2006, 5:50 PM
Get naked! ;)

and send pics to me :bigrin:

jedinudist
Jul 16, 2006, 7:00 PM
Thre's always my favorite...

Go Nude whenever possible

:)

ghytifrdnr
Jul 17, 2006, 1:26 AM
My experience as a sailor visiting the Phillipine Islands was that your body begins to adjust to the heat in about 14 days. But still drink lots of water.

Azrael
Jul 17, 2006, 11:49 AM
Believe it or not, I used to wear two layers of t-shirts when working in 140+ degree attics. It somehow insulates you, I guess by trapping more sweat to your body. This can be a bad thing or irrelevant depending on what you do. Water is good, Water infused with electrolytes is better, as it's not just water you're sweating off.

julie
Jul 17, 2006, 6:15 PM
I'm starting a new contract in Lyon, France on Monday, and the temperature is forecast to reach 100 degrees by Thursday ! As someone who has lived in Scotland for many years where the temperture rarely exceeds 70 for more than 2 days in a row, I'm dreading having to live, sleep, work in that sort of heat.

Anyone got any good tips for surviving?

Cheers,
Pete.

Giggles... i notice your fellow Brits have no advice to offer you Pete... i for one, despite being a little further south in Manchester, would be as out of my depth as you are!

Hope you are able to acclimatise soon though :cool:

love Julie xx :female:

APMountianMan
Jul 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
When I worked in Kitchens in the summer without air conditioning, we took a metal pot and filled it with ice. Then place a fan behind the pot and turn the fan on. The air being generated as the air hit the pot will be much cooler than the surrounding air.

:cool: :2cents:

DÆMØN
Jul 20, 2006, 9:52 AM
I know this is gona sound terribly difficult to do and quite very off the wall. But if keeping cool is the deal then suit up.

I recommend crafting a suit of armour from ICE ! ROFL.

Alternatively you could purchase lots of gelpacs that you could maybe sew into the lining of some shorts and shirts / vests which you could then chill in the fridge, when hot just slip on something.

DGoncz
Jul 20, 2006, 2:59 PM
1) Don't rely on sweat. Add water to light colored, loose fitting clothing to cool you. A Gel Vest from MSC Industrial Supply helps a lot. A polypro t-shirt drenched in clean water is good, too. :)
2) Wear a really big hat; a Sampan, or one of those hilarious Mexican Hat Dance hats. :rolleyes:
3) Drink water at about 68-78 deg F, with a little sugar and salt in it, almost constantly, in small sips. Not ice cold, not overly hot. Gatorade I like to make at 3/4 recommended strength. Isotonic is what you want. Absorption is what you need.
4) Use what shade is available; take breaks, and walk a little slower through the shade, pick up the pace in the sun. Try a hammock for your breaks. The Amazon Traveler from Campmor is my favorite. Put it up in the shade and drench it.
5) Be aware of the symptoms; changes in mental status and perception, irritability, lightheadedness. :eek: Know the difference betewen heat stroke and heat prostration. Have a cell phone. Carry emergency dextrose and salt tabs and know when to take them. :cool:
6) Monitor urine output; if you're not pissing, you're not drinking. If it's dark yellow, you aren't drinking enough. Too much tap water will wash your electrolytes out. :2cents:

The Dougster :male:

deletetacount123
Jul 20, 2006, 4:16 PM
I just turn on my AC and stay home when its WAY TO HOT outside!! :-)

As hot as it gets out there, I still must have my morning and evening TEA!! hehe

Tasha

pmg_ams01
Jul 20, 2006, 7:00 PM
Thanks all for the useful (and interesting !) suggestions.

Was pleased to find the offices had aircon. Outdoors was warm but really dry and very pleasant. Was 37C when I left Lyon yesterday afternoon, and Edinburgh airport was like the Baltic in comparison.

Will try to post to photos soon (didn't have camera with me this week but am back there on Tuesday!)

Pete

tom_uk
Jul 21, 2006, 1:10 PM
Will try to post to photos soon (didn't have camera with me this week but am back there on Tuesday!)
Pete

........... about time too ;- )) ........