PDA

View Full Version : Nelly Furtado opens up about bisexuality

glantern954
Jul 14, 2006, 10:58 PM
Title: Nelly Furtado opens up about bisexuality
Author: John Kennedy
Source: Canada.com
Date: July 14, 2006

Chart-topping Canadian singer Nelly Furtado admits she’s attracted to women and believes all people are bisexual.

“I’m reading a book about Chinese medicine, which claims that people are inherently bisexual to balance their energies. And, in a way, that makes so much sense,” Furtado told freelance writer Arjan Timmermans.

[Click Link to See Full Article] (http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=560ccaf2-2aa3-495c-a522-219783cc30e0&k=70845)

“I grew up in British Columbia, where the hip-hop community was very fun-loving and open. I think the negative vibe comes from the thug mentality and masculinity in some hip-hop. But, now the world has become so much more one and gay culture is becoming more mainstream.”

Link to Full Article: http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=560ccaf2-2aa3-495c-a522-219783cc30e0&k=70845

Brian
Jul 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
Interesting. But I cringe when I hear bi people say that "everyone is bisexual". That is stereotyping and second-guessing other people's sexual attractions; not unlike straight and gay people saying bisexuality doesn't exist. Hopefully Nelly will retract that statement someday.

- Drew :paw:

ps. I editted your post to cut out most of the article GL. People can click the link to see the full article. It's fair game to quote small portions of an article, but reprinting the whole thing is technically a copyright violation.

glantern954
Jul 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I know I hate it when other people project their sexuality on me, so I try not to do it to others.

OK....I will keep the link thing in mind for future posts. I'm always torn on how to post items like this. Some sites kill the link after a couple weeks and then you can't read the article anymore. Forever. But I totally get where you are coming from.

orpheus_lost
Jul 15, 2006, 12:11 AM
If I read her comment correctly, I'd kind of agree with her. I do believe even the most butch or feminine of us still has some small amount of the opposite in them. That doesn't necessarily translate into sexual desire but maybe into some form of gender opposite behavior or thought.

I remember in high school I was seated next to one of the young toughs in biology class. Unfortunately, I had child development the hour before that and at one point had to "parent" an egg for a week. This included dressing "her" up and carrying around a miniature rattle in her basket. Anyway, when I got to biology with this thing, he immediately started demanding to see it. I refused at first as my grade depended on the egg surviving the week, but eventually he wore me down and I let him see it. Amazingly, this ultra macho guy was fascinated with an egg in a small basket playing with the tiny rattle and fixing the clothes just so. He treated it like a real baby and even "babysat" it every biology class that week. I was stunned.

Now I know that's just one example and has no real statistical significance, but it did open my eyes to the fact that everyone seems to have some bit of the opposite in them if you look hard enough - a lesson I've used often in life. If that's what Furtado meant then I agree with her. If she meant that everyone really wants to try same gender sex, then she's off her rocker. :)

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 15, 2006, 11:46 AM
Its nice to see bisexuality spoken about in an enlightening way. Is doesn't claim anything about her own sexuality (which is fine) but would be a great boost into getting bisexuality out in the open if she were to claim being bisexual. Angelina Jolie Was openly bisexual at one time and I think that helped alot in allowing more people to explore it within themselves.

She simply sounds open and accepting to all sexuality. Which too is great. I have also read a book on Yin/Yang and Chi. It really made alot of sense to me and can actually relate to it, there is a total exchange of engergies when I make love to hubby with the strap on, or when I am with a woman. I feel more balanced and free so to speak. Prostate message also has to do with balancing the chi and so does the g-spot orgasm. The book said that those places are where our negative feelings get stuck and don't allow balanced energy to flow.

Really interesting stuff.

Driver 8
Jul 15, 2006, 12:24 PM
Interesting. But I cringe when I hear bi people say that "everyone is bisexual". That is stereotyping and second-guessing other people's sexual attractions; not unlike straight and gay people saying bisexuality doesn't exist.
I agree completely. I do think that some people who come up with this are trying to say "very few people are 100% gay or 100% straight," which I probably would agree with, but which generally needs a paragraph of explanation ("if you're gay, and occasionally attracted to women, that doesn't mean you can or should be straight; sexual orientation, sexual attraction, and sexual behavior are often different, blah blah blah bi education presentation blah blah blah.")

JohnnyV
Jul 15, 2006, 12:29 PM
Putting on my supernerd glasses.....

In Kinsey's time "bisexual" meant that you exhibited traits associated with both genders. Sexual behavior was part of bisexuality but not the only aspect of it. Using the old definition of bisexual, sometimes now called "ambisexual" I think that everyone is bisexual to a certain degree. As in, we all show traces of both the male and the female. For example, I have nipples that don't produce milk, and my wife has a clitoris that does not ejaculate semen... stuff like that. :) :)

J

jedinudist
Jul 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Putting on my supernerd glasses.....

In Kinsey's time "bisexual" meant that you exhibited traits associated with both genders. Sexual behavior was part of bisexuality but not the only aspect of it. Using the old definition of bisexual, sometimes now called "ambisexual" I think that everyone is bisexual to a certain degree. As in, we all show traces of both the male and the female. For example, I have nipples that don't produce milk, and my wife has a clitoris that does not ejaculate semen... stuff like that. :) :)

J

I guess I should modify my signature line then - lol

I really do believe that everyone is bisexual to some degree, and that for most it is held in check by the belief systems they were taught or adhere to. Indeed it may not ever even come to mind for many. I think that everyone definately has the potential for bisexuality, as I have seen so many things (studies, etc.) that have shown that mammals overall seem to have the inate propensity to be bisexual.

I'm not saying that everyone feels the attraction, or has to "cope" with it, just that I believe that, at minimum, it is a distinct possibility for each of us.

Brian
Jul 15, 2006, 1:55 PM
Some sites kill the link after a couple weeks and then you can't read the article anymore. Forever. But I totally get where you are coming from. Good point. Some blogs/forums like ours let the entire article stand unless the media outlet or writer complain, then they will remove it when requested. I was trying to take the proactive high road. But you are right, it sucks to click on a link to an article that sounds interesting and the link no longer works - I don't know why the big online media giants do that - it seems counter-productive to their goal of getting traffic. I'll ponder it some more.

- Drew :paw: