PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4: Bi Curious Me

softfruit
Jun 21, 2013, 4:33 AM
For the UK / Ireland bisexual.com readers... did you catch this last night? It's probably on the 4od player if not.

I was watching and exchanging "grrrr!" about it with about half a dozen friends on twitter, including how most of us had been out as bi for years and years and this looked nothing like our lives. All very ratings friendly soft focus stuff, that you really needed a Bi Cliche bingo card or drinking game to accompany.

There were a couple of good moments, mostly towards the end when one of the women started talking about the social impacts of biphobia, how it pushes us towards monogamous mixed-sex relationships but despite that pressure still we fall for who we fall for, and that it's not about wanting all the chocolates in the box just that gender doesn't automatically rule someone out.

On the other hand, alas, even with the BBC it's all about sensationalising life to pull in the viewers. 4 needs the ad revenue as much as any of the other commercial stations do.

Still... for all that this was 'not my bi life', I'm sure that out there it'll have given some people an excuse to talk about stuff going on in their head they couldn't otherwise say out loud, and helped some people put a label to a thing about themselves they haven't dared put a word to before.

darkeyes
Jun 21, 2013, 6:41 AM
I didn't see it, Softfruit, but of course it wasn't ur life... it's telly and soft edged but even the fact that they did a programme 'bout it is progress of sorts.. women.. the usual man get off.. women who like women... nice easy introduction into the world of bisexuality cos as Channel4 sed in its blurb... more and more women are finding out bout the joys of same gender sex and it is becoming more accepted. We can all quibble 'bout it not being real, and having no bearing on the lives of most bisexual women and yet what does? Of all the several million bisexual women who gad abut this country pick any 3 and others will say it is serpently not their lives. It will have been no doubt shallow telly as u are bound 2 get in a 1 off documentary.. a harder edged programme sympathetically dealing with the problems and much less acceptance of bisexual men would have been a better subject.. but not really good viewing figure fodder... or even better a series about bisexuality period would be a great improvement and if ne 1 does such a series it is likely 2 be Channel4.. but even if over a 10 week period of hour long programmes looking at 5 10 or 20 or more bisexuals, men and women.. people will always say.. "this is not my life". No it isn't...but it may well be the lives of those involved or at least a very shallow snapshot of them..

It's on again on Saturday after midnite I believe for those who don't have the 4od .. will catch it tonite when I get home and no doubt will be as critical as u are... so please don't take this as criticism of anything u said because it isn't meant that way.

con1970
Jun 21, 2013, 3:59 PM
I watched it I didn't impress me really.
Not really a reflection of bisexuality I thought.