PDA

View Full Version : i have a question

Gleekybaby
Jul 12, 2006, 9:15 AM
hey everyone

i gave up smoking a week ago now *yay*
but i have notice that from my knees down have become very tight and swollan
i do get up of my fat ass and play running games outside with my dog and i drink alot of water, the swelling goes down when i sleep but after half an hour of been up and out of bed they go back to been tight and very swollan, i dnt want to have to go to the doctor as he will tell me its either nothing to worry about or give me some more meds to take, which i do not need right now as im still on a few few meds as it is.

just wondering if anyone might know y im swelling in my legs and if u might know away to help me solve it?????

thanks
lots of love Gleeky

creative_ly_inclined
Jul 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
hi there,

while i would suggest this forum is not the best place to get medical help... i can say that from my experience swelling in the lower legs can fall under the umbrella of a condition called "Edema"...

i know b/c family members have gone through this, and have had a mild form while on medication.

it has many causes - and effects... and means of treating it based on your health profile.

hopefully you can do some more research and see if "Edema" relates to your symptoms. (note that it is sometimes a sign of heart troubles!)

so, maybe a visit to the doctor is in order?
or Naturopath, or some other medical professional?

all the best,

c.i.

warmpuppy
Jul 12, 2006, 10:23 AM
hey everyone

i gave up smoking a week ago now *yay*
but i have notice that from my knees down have become very tight and swollan
i do get up of my fat ass and play running games outside with my dog and i drink alot of water, the swelling goes down when i sleep but after half an hour of been up and out of bed they go back to been tight and very swollan, i dnt want to have to go to the doctor as he will tell me its either nothing to worry about or give me some more meds to take, which i do not need right now as im still on a few few meds as it is.

just wondering if anyone might know y im swelling in my legs and if u might know away to help me solve it?????

thanks
lots of love Gleeky

Gleeky, it may be the build-up of water/liquid in your body, not from giving up smoking, but from too much salt. I recently had the same problem, and the prescription diuretic Lasix has caused me to lose almost 15 lbs of water in less than a week. You should see the sexy legs I'm now sporting. :bigrin:

Talk to your doc about water retention and see if something like Lasix is a solution for you.

Regards,

The Pup

chook
Jul 12, 2006, 5:35 PM
Hi Gleeky.

Hun if I was you I wouldnt waste any time seeing a doctor about the swelling in your lower legs, I'm sure he or she wont say its nothing and send you home and if I mat sugest to you that while you are there have a good talk to him about a test to see if you a diabetic as well. Believe me its better to find out what the problem is and start treatment than to leave it alone so complications set in.

Cheer Chook :bigrin:

taz67156
Jul 13, 2006, 7:46 PM
Hi Gleeky,
if you just gave up smoking recently your going to notice things that you didn't before like eating more foods and drinking more but don't over do either one cause that can cause another problem that you don't want to have and with the swelling in your lower legs all I can say is work yourself up to doing more things instead of all at once but if you have the problem for to long then I'd say talk with your doc about it cause there might be problem you haven't found out about yet.

good luck and hope things get better very soon

MotherGoose
Jul 13, 2006, 8:10 PM
Gleeky,

Wonderful for you, Hon!! I also just gave up smoking, 58 days ago and counting. Don't know if this is just a coincidence or not, but my legs and feet swelled also. I don't know if it was from drinking a lot of fluids and your metabolism slows down because your not smoking anymore, but it took a couple of weeks for mine to quit swelling. The problem is gone now however, and I feel soooo much better. If the swelling doesn't subside, however, then by all means, consult a physician. Could be something else! Good luck and congratulations on quitting! It's tough, but hang in there Hon!! It's worth it in the long run!! Love ya! ((((((((((())))))))))))) :bigrin:

Macy