PDA

View Full Version : Comic Books and Bisexuality

Iowabiguy
Jul 7, 2006, 2:12 PM
I am going to the San Diego International Comic Con in a week and was wondering if anyone else here is either going to the convention or if you are into comic books.
I think that comics are a natural place for someone to fantasize about sex. Big muscled guys and buxom women. Wolverine is both muscled and hairy. YOW!!
Of course, now the stories deal with all kinds of relationships. Marvel Comics has been writing gay characters into their comics since the late 80s when they outed a character from Canada in Alpha Flight. Recently, a western character was "revealed" to have always been gay.
In a new series, the Young Avengers, two of the characters are openly gay and in relationship with each other. It was funny that when one of them was going to reveal that he was a super-hero to his parents they stopped him and said that they already knew that he was gay and that they were cool with it and happy that he had found a nice boy. He never got to tell them that he was a super-hero!
So I want to know if there are other people that read comics and if you know of any other GLBT characters out there.
A bonus would be if you are going to the convention maybe we could hook-up in San Diego.

Flounder1967
Jul 8, 2006, 2:45 PM
There has been only one comic book i ever really liked. It wasn't beacuse it had do do with sex, but more of what i like in stories. It was Sargent Rock. I just remember that i did hae alot of them for a while.

Da Doctor
Jul 9, 2006, 2:32 AM
Check out the Authority. One of my Favorites. Two of the main characters are Gay and married.

Brian
Jul 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
I'm not into comics anymore, but I just happened to stumble on this article released today:

"Bisexual Mystique"
http://www.afterellen.com/Print/2006/7/mystique.html

- Drew :paw:

glantern954
Jul 13, 2006, 7:59 AM
I knew I loved her for a reason.

I'm not into comics anymore, but I just happened to stumble on this article released today:

"Bisexual Mystique"

canuckotter
Jul 13, 2006, 8:06 AM

"Bisexual Mystique"

Interesting... I just checked, and I have almost every issue of X-Men from like 190 to 254... So I just missed the revelation by a couple issues. :)

grizzle45
Jul 13, 2006, 10:08 AM
I have been reading and collecting comics my entire life. (which is quite a long time, I'm 36 this year). I write comics and have started drawing my books as well. I have bisexual characters in all of my stories. Without even really thinking about it, it just felt natural to me.
Although I haven't gotten very far in publishing the series, one of the main characters in Battle Royal MX at www.webcomicsnation.com/cyd is bi.
I do think that comics are a great medium for manifesting the imagination. My art group have been discussing this very thing the past few days.
I think the super hero genre is especially fueled by Id energy, to put it simply. Like professional wrestling (which I also adore) there's a homoerotic subtext at work in the most heterosexual stories..at least IMHO.
I will, however, bore you all with my :2cents: and point out that, again, there are more female bisexual characters in comics than male. And I mean in comicdom in the greater sense, not just the superhero genre.

Sex in Words
Jul 13, 2006, 3:48 PM
Recently read that the new Batwoman is going to be a clearly out dyke...

grizzle45
Jul 14, 2006, 11:01 AM
I know someone posted this in aother thread (that's how I found it), but I thought maybe someone on this thread might have missed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_and_bisexual_people_in_comic_fiction

DiamondDog
Jul 14, 2006, 3:02 PM
heh, a good friend of mine told me how I'd be the x-man of facial hair hehehe.

grizzle45
Jul 19, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think that comics are a natural place for someone to fantasize about sex. Big muscled guys and buxom women. Wolverine is both muscled and hairy.

I was wondering if you think comic books are a natural place for someone to fantasize about sex or do you mean just the superhero genre?
My comic artist friends and I have been discussing the nature of comics as a visual medium, as a form of art, and how imagery itself, being an abstraction, tends to always be of a fantastic nature. For example, there are few comics that aren't humorous, adventurous, anthorpomorphic, etc. The few exceptions we could come up with were Los Bros Hernandez, Palookavilla, Box Office Poison, Blankets, and others. However, this tendency to use abstraction or exaggeration makes, in my opinion, the art form of comics ideal to explore all sorts of ideas and fantasies, though it does seem the most fantatsical imagery and characters seem to be found in the superhero genre.
:bipride: