PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sappy love songs?

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 11:55 AM
I know I'm not the only person who uses moody music as an opiate of sorts, so here's a few of mine:
Delerium w/Matthew Sweet- Daylight
Anathema- Parsienne moonlight
Matthew Sweet- walk out
Tricky- Christiansands
Tori Amos- Blood roses
Carole King- far away
Massive Attack w/Liz Fraser- Teardrop
Radiohead- exit music for a film
Sonic Youth- hits of sunshine
The Golden Palominos- This is how it feels
Failure- stuck on you
Jeff Buckley- Grace
Bella Morte-doubt
Bjork- come to me
Portishead- glory box
Nick Drake- parasite
REM- nightswimming
Urge Overkill- back on me
VAST- cello song
Just a few off the top of my head.
Now playing: Love Spirals Downwards- Nova

smokey
Jul 5, 2006, 1:32 PM
my late wife and mine's song (including wedding song) was the Talking Head's "Niave Melody: This Must be the Place".

Mrs.F
Jul 5, 2006, 1:56 PM
I get lost in music so easily! There are really too many to name for me and it all depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I just want to hear the sappy songs and cry....like Keith Urban's "Tonight I wanna cry" or Carrie Underwood's ''Inside your Heaven". I love Anne Murray and Alabama, all of their songs are great for me. And if I'm really in a funky mood...I love 80's music and disco.........the Bee Gee's!!!!!!!! I get flak all the time from Flounder because he hates them :eek:

Itsjustme14
Jul 5, 2006, 2:19 PM
I wore black for three days when Karen Carpenter died. What does THAT tell you about me and sappy love songs?

allbimyself
Jul 5, 2006, 5:36 PM
Beatles - In My Life
Concrete Blonde - Lullabye
Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes, etc
Billy Joel - Innocent Man

Hey, IJM, if Mama Cass had shared her ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter they'd both still be alive....

Sorry, I'll slink away now.

julie
Jul 5, 2006, 6:51 PM
...hey Azrael...

i've never met anybody else who likes 'Portishead' before!

'glory box' is one of my all time shiver down the spine songs too! :bigrin:

cheers julie :female: xx

LouiseBrookslover
Jul 5, 2006, 7:55 PM
Well, you've just met one more, Julie, although I've only heard a few of their songs.

And Allbimyself......."In My Life" is definitely a great song....it really captures the place of love in our lives, how loves and love of the past relate to the love we feel in the present moment.

I love who I am with now more than any before, I love the breath I draw now more than any I've taken before, although the love of the past will always be with me. In most songs the singer is whining about the past, if he confronts it at all. I've always considered this an extremely mature piece of work, rare for its genre.

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 8:55 PM
...hey Azrael...

i've never met anybody else who likes 'Portishead' before!

'glory box' is one of my all time shiver down the spine songs too! :bigrin:

cheers julie :female: xx
Beth Gibbons makes me melt, what can I say?

JrzGuy3
Jul 5, 2006, 9:33 PM
without a doubt, Shake Ya Tail Fether by Nelly :tong:

i kid, i kid
still an awesome song

Herbwoman39
Jul 5, 2006, 9:56 PM
I love music of all kinds: everything from acid metal to opera and the classics. My current favs are "Discovery" by a Celtic group called "Three Weird Sisters" and just about anything on the RENT sound track. I'm still a sucker for love songs by"Chicago" and I LOVE the song "Imagine me and You" by the Turtles.

x_Love_me_4_me_x
Jul 5, 2006, 11:00 PM
I dont really have a favorite but I do listen to them...I like more modern love songs than older ones.

jedinudist
Jul 6, 2006, 9:15 AM
Music is one of the most powerful drugs in my life. It can lift me to experience joy, and it can bring me to the verge of tears.

My wife and I actually courted each other with music (it's along and beautiful story).

Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden was playing softly when we spoke our vows to each other.

Just a few seconds of that song brings tears of joy to both of us.

There are a few songs that top our love song list, but that one is the pinnacle.

Heart, Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, Bryan Adams, Sting, oh the list just goes on and on :)

bigdaddyden59
Jul 6, 2006, 10:53 AM
The song that the wife and I sort of adopted as "our song"

"We're All Alone" by Boz Skaggs

One of the saddest love songs I've ever heard;

"Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam (covered from ??)

Azrael
Jul 6, 2006, 4:59 PM
This is way off topic, but Samael from Switzerland I believe did a really sweet cover of Alice Cooper's 'I love the dead'. Morbid, beautiful, perverse and amusing all at the same time. "cadaver eyes, upon me see....nothing" :bigrin:

TrimBeardHairyBod
Jul 6, 2006, 5:27 PM
By definition, there can be only *one* favourite it and it's....

'Lady in Red' by Chris de Burgh

glantern954
Jul 6, 2006, 6:03 PM
I will always Love You - Dolly Parton
I choke back tears almost every single time I hear her sing this. She sounds so sincere. Whitney's version does nothing for me.

LouiseBrookslover
Jul 6, 2006, 6:04 PM
Whitney's does something for me.

Makes my ears bleed, it does. :(

Mrs.F
Jul 6, 2006, 6:16 PM
I will always Love You - Dolly Parton
I choke back tears almost every single time I hear her sing this. She sounds so sincere. Whitney's version does nothing for me.

That is a good one and Dolly singing it is sooooooooo much better then Whitney anyday! Some songs were just not meant to be remade by another. :rolleyes:

chillywilly
Jul 6, 2006, 9:48 PM
"Last KIss" was an old 45 single from the 50s I dunno the artist..."imagine Me & You" by the turtles is entitled "Happy Together" by Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan (the singers of the Turtles) who were known as "Flo & Eddie" when they were on the Mothers of Invention records... Sappy love songs? try most of Paul McCartney's catalogue ;)

wildangel
Jul 7, 2006, 8:16 AM
"Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam (covered from ??)

First off-Pearl Jam covered "Last Kiss" which was written by Wayne Cochran and orginally sung by Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers (one-hit wonders). The Pearl Jam version is more than five years old now and it still moves me every time. I swear I cried the first dozen times I heard it.

Second-I can't believe no one's mention Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman".

And Celine Dion and Michael Bolton are far from my type of music, but they their 'sappy loves songs' are played on every soft rock station from NY to FL.

My and my significant other's 'song' is Smashing Pumpkins' "Stand Inside Your Love". Somewhat morbid, but still sappy to me.

Now lastly, I know that I am the only one who is going to even have heard of the band, much less think the song is sappy. If you get a spare minute go Google the lyrics to Poison the Well's "Nerdy". If you then listened to the song, you probably wouldn't get the same idea at all but it's my favorite sappy love song. :bigrin: