PDA

View Full Version : Its monosexual or bisexual...not gay or straight

tenni
May 14, 2013, 8:11 AM
I was reading another site when the issue of are you more gay or more straight came up as being asked of bisexuals by their hetero friends. Monosexual is being sexually and /or emotionally -romantically attracted to only one gender. Bisexual is being sexually and/or emotionally attracted to both genders.

I think that most monosexuals think in a binary manner when it comes to sexuality...straight or gay. I think that it is important for bisexuals to recognize that we are neither. I think that it is part of our accepting a third sexuality rather than so much gay or so much straight. Yes there are more than three sexualities(i.e... pansexual, asexual) but lets focus on bisexuality and the two more mainstream known/acknowledged sexualties)

I also think that bisexuals need to accept our fluidity of attraction that monosexuals do not experience as perhaps our most significant difference from them. It isn't gay or straight as much as monosexual or bisexual when comparing ourselves. Bisexuals think in a binary manner but not the way that monosexuals think when it comes to factors..well that is my opinion.

What do you consider to be the significant differences in our identity as bisexuals compared to monosexuals?

zigzig
May 15, 2013, 3:28 PM
Maybe that bisexual people are usually more sexual then monosexuals. That we have ,,a pendulum switch'' - we can switch of being attracted to one gender then to other. Historically people knew about heterosexuality and homosexuality, but bisexuality has just come known recently.

Mr. Suck
May 15, 2013, 4:01 PM
Maybe that bisexual people are usually more sexual then monosexuals. That we have ,,a pendulum switch'' - we can switch of being attracted to one gender then to other. Historically people knew about heterosexuality and homosexuality, but bisexuality has just come known recently. Actually people have known about bisexuality in humans for a very long time in human history, and it's not just a recent term. What the OP is forgetting is that some bisexuals do call themselves terms like "mostly straight", the silly term "Heteroflexible", "mostly gay/lesbian" or "More straight than gay" and "More lesbian/gay than hetero" to describe their bisexuality.

tenni
May 15, 2013, 5:03 PM
zigzig
You may be correct that bisexuals are more sexual(active?) than monosexuals but I am unaware of any study that proved this.

I agree that monosexuals are more aware and accepting of monosexual aspects (heterosexual or homosexual). Some of us may refer to wrong dualities of being “more gay” or “more straight” because we have come from a monosexual culture and we have little publicity about our own sexual culture and its language. We may be more comfortable thinking in the monosexual binary (straight/gay) but we may need to shift our thinking to our own binary of being monosexual or bisexual. The LGBT organizations have little reason to alter their perspective or promotion to the monosexual / bisexual binary as most in the positions of power are monosexual gay people. Bisexuals themselves do not try to educate themselves but accept the monosexual lexicons.

As far as awareness of bisexuality, “some” people may have been aware of it for most of their lives but it is better to think that it is “some” not "all" people and this may be especially valid depending upon the geographic areas.

Annika L
May 15, 2013, 6:00 PM
Hi Tenni,

It seems to me that you're just replacing one sexual binary (hetero vs everyone else) with another (bisexual vs. everyone else). I think we all need to get our heads around the fact that sexuality is a continuum, not a switch (no matter what labels you replace "On" and "Off" with).

And I believe Mr. Suck was addressing ziggy's claim that awareness of bisexuality is new (or relatively new), culturally, not personally. In ancient Greece and Rome (and plenty of other places), there was plenty of bisexuality going on...people just didn't have a need to label it, because the Christians hadn't yet figured out just how much they were offended by it. In fact the whole concept of labeling (and deploring) homosexuality is a fairly recent development in human history.

Gearbox
May 15, 2013, 6:03 PM
The 'more hetero than gay' thing is a bit confusing coz that would mean that a 'more sexual' heterosexual is more heterosexual than a heterosexual with a lower libido.
Or does it?:confused:
It might mean that a heterosexual would have to involve asexuality to weigh up how heterosexual they are?
A heterosexual with a low libido is more asexual than heterosexual? LOL! So a bisexual with a low libido is really a trisexual who's more asexual than homosexual and heterosexual.:yikes2:

Monosexuals just don't weigh up how yada yada sexual they are, like bisexuals do. They could, but it would be very silly and make everybody trisexual or something.lol

Young pussy and dope
May 15, 2013, 6:24 PM
I agree that monosexuals are more aware and accepting of monosexual aspects (heterosexual or homosexual). Some of us may refer to wrong dualities of being “more gay” or “more straight” because we have come from a monosexual culture and we have little publicity about our own sexual culture and its language. We may be more comfortable thinking in the monosexual binary (straight/gay) but we may need to shift our thinking to our own binary of being monosexual or bisexual. The LGBT organizations have little reason to alter their perspective or promotion to the monosexual / bisexual binary as most in the positions of power are monosexual gay people. Bisexuals themselves do not try to educate themselves but accept the monosexual lexicons.As far as awareness of bisexuality, “some” people may have been aware of it for most of their lives but it is better to think that it is “some” not "all" people and this may be especially valid depending upon the geographic areas. Yeah and who is going to do this? You? LMAO I have no qualms if someone who is bisexual wants to say that their bisexuality is that of being low on the Kinsey scale, or high on it, as opposed to being a Kinsey 3 or able to partner with and have equal sexual attraction to both genders.