PDA

View Full Version : The Face of Phobia in France

tenni
Apr 8, 2013, 2:51 PM
The following is a google translation of the original French.

Photo became viral on social networks. We see Wilfred de Bruijn, swollen face, red with blood and beatings he received in the night from Saturday to Sunday in a popular district of Paris. He accompanied this photo a word of explanation:

"Sorry to show it. This is the face of homophobia. Last night, in the nineteenth arrondissement in Paris, Olivier and I are violently attacked simply because we walked arm in arm.

I woke up in an ambulance covered in blood. A tooth was missing and I had broken bones around the eyes. I'm home now. This is very sad. Olivier takes care of me. I stop working for at least ten days. '

"We went out to dinner sprinkled with amis.On walked arm in arm to the metro Ourcq. Not "how gay". We spent a very pleasant evening, we talked about it. A bit much maybe. There, I heard: "Ah gay" I took a first look in her eyes. I'm protected, but everything I took six shots. [...]

It was a wave of hatred. Very violent. I saw my companion on the ground, his head became a soccer ball, I yelled "Clear!" They ran away. '

Then the ambulance arrived, and then the police. They say the couple that late hour, "it is better to take a taxi." What Olivier was very upset.

They were reluctant to post this picture on Facebook, but Wilfred says:

"We got back around 10:30 emergencies. It was immediately photographed. Was doubted, because it is not very tasteful, but it was a way to prevent our friends. '

"It shows that" in your face ""

They do not hide that for them, this photo is mainly a political gesture. Wilfred has long championed LGBT center, and Oliver had set up an association to fight against homophobia in her school this trade. Wilfred said:

"This is a political act. We show that "in your face" [openly, ed]. '

Before developing:

"If it's a news banal, it fits into a context. I am Dutch. I live in France since 2003 and I am very shocked at what I see this summer, with the debate on marriage for all. Religious leaders, politicians, held some extremely violent. '

About one he holds on to qualify:

"We must always be careful. Our attackers may have not been aware of these comments and everyone is responsible for his actions. '

"As soon as the guard down a bit ... '

Both explained that they normally pay attention. In the street, he rarely held his arm like that almost never hand.

"We condition. And as soon as the guard down a bit, this is what happens. '

Olivier and Wilfred will complain, but they would first see with SOS Homophobia they can recover videos. Their attack took place near a car showroom. They would retrieve association with bands if they exist, then complain.

"Otherwise, it will be a complaint against X. '

Especially since neither Wilfred nor Olivier could not see the faces of their attackers.

On April 10, a demonstration against homophobia will be held in Paris, 20 hours in Le Marais (third and fourth arrondissements). Beginning of 2013, the Refuge and associations SOS Homophobia reported having received three times more testimonies of victims of homophobia in 2012 than in 2011.

On his blog, Jean-Christophe Cambadelis, deputy of Paris, said he was horrified by this incident and linked to action against the LGBT movement center "French Spring"

"I am absolutely horrified [...] I condemn homophobic assault followed several abuses that occurred this weekend including" Spring assoces "organized by the international LGBT. I demand that light be shed on these unspeakable acts. '

http://www.rue89.com/2013/04/08/wilfred-olivier-agresses-a-paris-voici-visage-lhomophobie-241278

Realist
Apr 9, 2013, 9:01 AM
Damn, that's sad! He's lucky to be alive and this story reminds me of the end of "Broke-back Mountain".

I'm surprised; I've had limited contact with French folks, but, when I was in Europe in the late '50s/early '60s, they were the most sexually liberated people I'd known. Even men in the French military, where I was stationed, openly accepted their gay/bisexual cohorts.

I certainly could not reveal my bisexuality to my own comrades-in-arms, or those who lived where I was born. I've always known that I had to be covert with my bisexuality, for these same possibilities.

elian
Apr 9, 2013, 9:07 PM
Fear and hatred do terrible things to people, sometimes I'm not even convinced it is even fear and hate as much as someone is just having a bad day and needs an excuse to act out. Sad..