PDA

View Full Version : Yep another WWYDO thread....

DuckiesDarling
Feb 16, 2013, 9:40 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/8314060/Space-rocks-point-up-the-danger

By now anyone with a tv or access to the net has seen the images of the Russian meteorite and the damage it caused. It came out of nowhere, no warning. Total panic and very lucky not a loss of life.

Are you prepared? What would you do if a meteor came towards your city? Do you have supplies in case you are cut off from help? Do you have friends and neighbors who you care enough to check on and vice versa?

What would you do if it happened to you?

DuckiesDarling
Feb 16, 2013, 7:31 PM
no one knows what they would do??? Intersting.............

tenni
Feb 16, 2013, 8:00 PM
The question in my mind is whether this is a realistic fear that you need to prepare for. The spokesperson stated that it "might" impact the Earth by 2080. I saw another scientist state that we have the technology to deal and prevent an astroid from hitting Earth but we would need three year advance notice. Unlike Hollywood movies which may be at the base of fear to prepare, anything done to redirect the astroid would be done far away from Earth.

Don't worry Be Happy ...woo woo woo woo woo... Be Happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

DuckiesDarling
Feb 16, 2013, 9:00 PM
The question in my mind is whether this is a realistic fear that you need to prepare for. The spokesperson stated that it "might" impact the Earth by 2080. I saw another scientist state that we have the technology to deal and prevent an astroid from hitting Earth but we would need three year advance notice. Unlike Hollywood movies which may be at the base of fear to prepare, anything done to redirect the astroid would be done far away from Earth.

Don't worry Be Happy ...woo woo woo woo woo... Be Happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Well funny it happened in Russia, which is the point I made in my OP. It JUST HAPPENED. It could happen anywhere. Russia had no warning, what makes you think we would?

tenni
Feb 16, 2013, 9:27 PM
What happened in Russia was a meteorite. What the article is referring to is an Asteroid. Two very very different space rocks. The meterorite in Russia was suppose to be the size of a truck. The asteroid that passed Earth the same day is the size of a football field. In either case, gathering food etc. will not help. The meterorites hit the Earth frequently many times a day. Asteroids not often at all.

Meteorites usually burn up in the air while travelling at high speeds. The one in Russia blew up in the air. The damage was suppose to be done mainly by the explosion and air compression / wind impact. All the windows and doors that were damaged was due to the air compression and not the meteorite hitting the Earth. The injuries to people was due to flying broken glass. Very few meteorites hit the Earth and if they do then there will be a crater. Most craters were created thousand of years ago but some have happened in the past 100 years.

Apparently, if an asteroid hits the atmosphere the explosion of the heat friction will be equivalent to a nuclear bomb and the damage equivalent to a nuclear bomb.

Don't worry Be happy :)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Feb 17, 2013, 12:22 AM
Well. Hell is going to freeze over again, because I'm afraid I have to agree with Dumpling there. Scientists had to have known about the metorite, had to have seen it coming, they see everything else! They Could have given Russia a head's up, but didnt as far as I know.
But, a person Should be prepared for Any eventuality. Alway keep food stuffs on hand, extra blankets and provisions in your closet, garage, basement, ect. Be Prepared. Most folks Arent, and its they who suffer for it. Its always good to have a good networking contact, too. Have people that know to come see you if they dont hear from you in a couple of days. Have that person do a "Wellness check" by their local police if they cant get to you. Or the local fire dept will do them as well.
Always be forewarned and prepared. Save yourself alot of hardship and hard times by Being well prepared.
Just my humble 2 cents..
Ya'll Cat :}

void()
Feb 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/8314060/Space-rocks-point-up-the-danger

By now anyone with a tv or access to the net has seen the images of the Russian meteorite and the damage it caused. It came out of nowhere, no warning. Total panic and very lucky not a loss of life.

Are you prepared? What would you do if a meteor came towards your city? Do you have supplies in case you are cut off from help? Do you have friends and neighbors who you care enough to check on and vice versa?

What would you do if it happened to you?

If not dead or injured, likely try helping those who may be. Agree with Cat about preparedness.
That's probably due Boy Scouts. Know I'm also likely not as fully prepared as to plan for a meteor.
I have kind of accepted a minor level of fatalism which says what will be, will be.

Think a meteor coming out of blue, allegedly seems to illustrate we know not everything,
now will we. How do you plan facing the unknown? Guess it may be done. Think it'd be
rather difficult for many.

Long Duck Dong
Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
I recall hearing some experts saying that even if they could detect a incoming object, there is nothing they could do other than tell us to hang on tight

as I have posted in another thread, many moons ago.... me and a group of my friends have enuf stockedpiled stuff to support a small community for a year or two.... but we are not prepared for any single disaster, its more a case of who survives, has a increased chance of surviving longer....and on that note, I would stand with void, if I was not dead or injured, I would help those that need help as best I can...... and avoid the people that are not able to survive without the help of bill gates, steve jobs and co.....