PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS RISK -- NOT THIS SITE, BUT CLOSE

gen11
Jan 24, 2013, 8:12 AM
Two days ago I typoed "bsexual.com," leaving out the i, and opened an unexpected sex website. My virus protection program -- Microsoft Security Essentials -- picked up and isolated a virus attack. The unexpected website is the ONLY possible source of the virus, which MSE effectively dealt with.

The point being, those of us who don't have bisexual.com in our favorites, need to be VERY CAREFUL in typing it into a search engine.

falcondfw
Jan 24, 2013, 11:23 AM
Two days ago I typoed "bsexual.com," leaving out the i, and opened an unexpected sex website. My virus protection program -- Microsoft Security Essentials -- picked up and isolated a virus attack. The unexpected website is the ONLY possible source of the virus, which MSE effectively dealt with.

The point being, those of us who don't have bisexual.com in our favorites, need to be VERY CAREFUL in typing it into a search engine.

Gen,
Sadly, this is fairly common. Usually, misspelling a site name will just take you to an off-market search site that will hijack your browser, but sometimes it can be far more serious. Your advice of caution is sound advice. Criminals, including virus writers, are smart and devious.