PDA

View Full Version : Trying New Chat Software

Brian
Jun 16, 2005, 12:39 AM
I put in place the new chat software tonight. We have it on a trial basis to confirm that it works and to see if people like it.

Let me know if you have any problems with it, and what you think of it.

If/When we buy the product for real we will be able to customize the look and feel of it somewhat. I will also be able to set it up so some of your profile info will be imported into it when you login so as to be viewable by others. And the demo version is a little plain looking too, which also can be fixed in the real thing.

I like some of the features it has, and I think many of you will too.

Please use this thread only to report problems and give feedback about this new chat system.

Enjoy!

- Drew :paw:

julie
Jun 16, 2005, 4:50 AM
Wow thanks Drew!

No difficulties getting in there and it works just fine :wiggle2: Sooo glad to be back :impleased

Julie xx

:flag3:

hypershot
Jun 16, 2005, 5:31 AM
Hey looking good drew! Thumbs up all the way!

hypershot
Jun 16, 2005, 7:12 AM
I've been on the new chat a couple of hours now and we've experienced a couple of things that creeped us out

1. After ten mins or so with no talk, they are automatically logged out.
2. Every now and then two very similar uses logged in at exact same time, eg tx46m and tx46m4497 logged in at same time, but the 4497 left without saying a word.
3. You cant say fuck or shit, which is fine, but it gets annoying. They aren't usually used maliciously and we're all adults here.

Part from that nothing else to report sir!

Love Chris

xXx

billynyc
Jun 16, 2005, 8:58 AM
I kind of like the new format except the censorship part. It seems more stable, but for an adult chat site, you should have more freedom. Even private chats are censoreed. Hate it.

Ian20
Jun 16, 2005, 9:00 AM
The new interface seems fine, but why all the censorship??? What's the use of an adult chat that prohibits words that are commonly used in PG rated movies and even on cable TV shows?

I wouldn't think Bisexual chat would be trying to move in on the Family Channel audience :D

Thanks for all the effort man, at least you're giving it a good try and we all *do* appreciate your efforts. The chat just needs some tweaking is all.

Take care, later dude.

Brian
Jun 16, 2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks. Everything you said has been noted and the good news is that the concerns can all be fixed ("tweaked" as Ian said)...

Sorry about the censorship - I didn't realize that the demo version is set up that way, and unfortunately I can't change it on the demo version. But I will fix that on the real version which I will put in place tomorrow unless I hear complaints by then. (It's very encouraging that no one has reported a problem enterring the chat system in the first 12 hours).

And the settings for booting due to inactivity will also be adjusted on the real version. As will the settings for booting due to "flooding".

The duplicate usernames comes from refreshing the original chat page. The user basically gets logged in twice and the software adds a 4-digit number on the end of the username of the second login to avoid duplicate usernames. I'll experiment with that and check it out some more to see if that can be avoided.

Thanks again for the feedback! I am pumped; I think we might finally have a stable, high-quality chat solution!

hypershot
Jun 16, 2005, 11:28 AM
Hey, Thanks for everything Drew. And it was great to finally meet you!

Love Chris

xXx

softfruit
Jun 16, 2005, 1:15 PM
Works here too (o:~ yay!

curious married m
Jun 16, 2005, 1:25 PM
Drew it looks pretty stable and easy to access. But can it also be tweaked so you can create private party rooms for more than 2 people (password protected). Also am assuming you can actually put in user Info on real version as the demo does not seem to allow it. I know it is hard to find a perfect solution CMM

Brian
Jun 16, 2005, 2:24 PM
Hi CMM et al.

Yes on the full version you will be able to create rooms on the fly and password protect them if you wish. :)

andie
Jun 16, 2005, 4:57 PM
I have been trying to get in all day am unable to get into chat

katie
Jun 16, 2005, 5:12 PM
:tongue: no problems logging in Drew...Thanks :compuser:Katie

bi m sub slut
Jun 16, 2005, 5:35 PM
Drew,

First, thanks for all of your efforts to keep this running, etc. The new system is, in my opinion, just not as good. i have had all sorts fo issues from getting logged out, to not being bale to connect. I never had these issues with the old one. Just thought you'd want to know.

Graphix213
Jun 16, 2005, 5:37 PM
Hello Drew...

and everytone else that has seen me log in but not speak on new software. I miss you all.
I'm running a G4 Mac, sys 9.1 and it just doesn't like the new software. I log in... the window comes up, and thats it... no action, just our standard rotating load icon. I'm on a dial-up at home (didn't use to matter, loaded like lightning on old chat)... on a dsl at work on an older Mac system, (didn't matter... loaded even faster on old chat). Either way nothing works past load point. "depressed" and lonely...
Oh well, that's just my 2 cents.
I miss the chat.... and friends...
Good luck with new software!

Graphix213 : :( :( :( :( :(

look for me on messenger when I'm on... PULEEZE!

chook
Jun 16, 2005, 6:03 PM
Thanks for trying out new software Drew its a bit difficult to get used to at first but like everything else i'm sure we will master it in time. And if you decide to install it fully will the censorship go?? Being an Aussie i really hope it does LOL......you could say its part of our culture :bigrin: Anyway thank you very much for being a great sport.

Chook. :wiggle2:

Brian
Jun 16, 2005, 6:13 PM
Hi Andie, graphix, and bi m sub slut.

I hate Java. I really, really hate it. :(

Graphix, this is what the RealChat folks say for Mac OS X users:

Mac OS X: For best performance, we recommend using Safari (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/safari/) and the latest version of Apple’s Java Plug-in (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/java/). They don't have any instructions for other Mac Operating Systems.

Andie and Bi_m_sub,

For Microsoft systems, they say:

For the best experience, we strongly recommend that you get the latest version of Sun's Java plug-in (http://www.java.com/en/). Microsoft's obsolete Java implementations are *not* 100% Java-compatible and may cause connection problems and lock-ups. Sun Microsystems is the creator of Java, and their free plug-in will let you enjoy the best of RealChat, and other Java applications as well!I'm not sure what other help I can provide. Are you guys getting any error messages?

The demo version is limited to 30 chatters at once. Maybe we exceeded the limit when you folsk were trying to enter? :eek: There seem to be only about 15 chatters right now.

Brian
Jun 16, 2005, 6:14 PM
Thanks for trying out new software Drew its a bit difficult to get used to at first but like everything else i'm sure we will master it in time. And if you decide to install it fully will the censorship go?? Being an Aussie i really hope it does LOL......you could say its part of our culture :bigrin: Anyway thank you very much for being a great sport.

Chook. :wiggle2: Chook, the censorship thing will be the first setting to be adjusted mate. ;)

hypershot
Jun 16, 2005, 6:24 PM
Hey, I've just logged into the chat system and before i even typed anything it warned me about being kicked out for flooding, I didnt even do anything!

Anyone else get the same?

Love Chris

xXx

Brian
Jun 16, 2005, 6:39 PM
Hey, I've just logged into the chat system and before i even typed anything it warned me about being kicked out for flooding, I didnt even do anything!

Anyone else get the same?

Love Chris

xXxWeird. Were you able to get back in by trying again? I don't see you in there now.

TouchableTina4
Jun 16, 2005, 8:40 PM
Got in with no problem. :bigrin:

bigregory
Jun 16, 2005, 10:03 PM
works for me :tongue:

dougbi
Jun 17, 2005, 12:33 AM
Like the new chat, no problems, but would like to see more "grown up" smilies and image options. :three:

paulflorez
Jun 17, 2005, 12:44 AM
I'm a newbie to this site, but from my experience this chat software seems better then the previous one. I was just curious if there was a way to have the info in our personal profile show up in our chat profile? As of now I can't edit my chat profile, is this because it's the demo version?

Daringman888
Jun 17, 2005, 3:00 AM
Drew,
It worked fine for me the first few times and I liked it but tonight, Thurs nite, I can't get on.

jazzer
Jun 17, 2005, 5:10 AM
Hi Drew

Congratulations on the new chatroom site. It was so frustrating trying to get into the chat room before. This site has some great people on it and chatting will be of great value to us all. Sorry that we can't use rude words though, this is a rude site and bugger aren't we all having fun. F**k isn't life great!

Curious2knowmore
Jun 17, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hey Drew

So far I love the new software. It was A LOT easier to get in, not having to click the chat button 20 times to get logged in. BTW I hate java script too :banghead: nothing but pain. Anyway, can't wait for the full version, I'm sure it will have plenty more options and features that the demo doesn't have. :bounce:

Brian
Jun 17, 2005, 11:06 PM
Update:

The booting and censorship issues have been fixed by adjusting some settings. The only thing that will be censored now is if you type in "GeorgeWBushIsAGreatMan". :cool: (Hey, it's my site, so I can do what I want :tong: ). And there are no longer issues with more than 20 people trying to access the site - unlimitted users now.

;)

Sensualhunter
Jun 18, 2005, 1:02 AM
The only thing that will be censored now is if you type in "GeorgeWBushIsAGreatMan". :cool:
:cool: :)

Thanks for having this place Drew!. The new chat is terrific!

Best wishes,
Sensualhunter

chook
Jun 18, 2005, 6:01 AM
Hi Drew, just to let u know that i like the new chat room, but why are we getting booted off. it happened to me today and more than once. Are these all teething problems? Other than that please keep up with the great work you are doing. :) thank u Drew

chook
Jun 18, 2005, 6:07 AM
Drew that was my wife's comments I just love that i can swear again and i love the new site and by the way her name is Aussie Blonde :wiggle2:

ThrillMe
Jun 18, 2005, 8:15 AM
Drew,

Let me say this about the new chat software:

a) it's quicker to log in and out of
b) it looks friendlier
c) yes, there are the demo-glitches (and things like censoring as mentionned)
d) keep some flooding rules :-) (as a former chat-administrator, it's good)
e) one minor issue - when I go to chat, it uses the original browser window, and says "don't close me". What if I want to look at some chatter profiles, or browse forums, etc. I'm hoping that the chat software might be able to link back to the site somehow? Right now, I have to open a new browser, and come back into the site.

In other words, so far, I like it much better!

Well done!

hypershot
Jun 18, 2005, 8:23 AM
Thrill, if you right click on any link on the main page and then click on open in new window the original window will stay open and you can still be in chat.

Hope that helps.

Drew...As others have mentioned before. Every now and then regardless of how busy it is or how many ppl are talking or silent, it just kicks us all out for no reason at all and then we have to reload the screen to get back on. Is this gonna be a permanent thing? Cos it's kindof annoying.

Thanks for your time,

Love Chris

xXx

Brian
Jun 18, 2005, 9:15 AM
Thrill, if you right click on any link on the main page and then click on open in new window the original window will stay open and you can still be in chat.

Hope that helps.

Drew...As others have mentioned before. Every now and then regardless of how busy it is or how many ppl are talking or silent, it just kicks us all out for no reason at all and then we have to reload the screen to get back on. Is this gonna be a permanent thing? Cos it's kindof annoying.

Thanks for your time,

Love Chris

xXx So everyone is getting kicked out at once? Or just a user here and a user there? Thanks for the info and thanks in advance for the additional info.

jokerswild2k
Jun 18, 2005, 11:33 AM
definite thumbs up here Drew!!! really diggin the new chat... i wasn't on very long but it seems simple to use and has some cool features. My sincerest thanks for stickin w/ this project...man this has to be frustrating sometimes but keep up the good work...we love ya!

JD :flag1:

Mayalaen
Jun 18, 2005, 6:29 PM
So everyone is getting kicked out at once? Or just a user here and a user there? Thanks for the info and thanks in advance for the additional info.

Everybody at once. Has only happened to me a few times but it is a bit annoying. Other than that, the chat software is GREAT! Good job!

Brian
Jun 18, 2005, 7:12 PM
Everybody at once. Has only happened to me a few times but it is a bit annoying. Other than that, the chat software is GREAT! Good job! Thanks for the info gang. I'll keep an eye on it. It may have been the server going down for a few seconds here and there which can happen sometimes on the net - usually it's not a big deal, but for Java chatrooms it means everyone gets booted off. I'll keep an eye on the situation.

gayle
Jun 20, 2005, 3:33 AM
Hey Drew!
Great new chat. What can I say? I'll just borrow the words of a country song: "I like it! I love it! I want some more of it!" It is awesome. The interface takes a few moments to get used to, such as figuring out how to make our profiles public, change the avatar, change our text color, send pictures, etc., but after a little while, it's easy. It's like you've given us a few new toys to use while we're chatting. Keep up the great work! And for the record, so far I haven't been kicked out and I've been in chat for up to 8 hours at a time. . . OMG, I have GOT to get a life!!!
Have a great day! ;)

rebekka
Jun 20, 2005, 5:41 AM
Hiya Drew,

Just thought i should say that the new chat room looks good, and more often than not, easier to get into. Thanks very much for all your effort with it, it's very much appreciated, the site looks great all round.

Thanks very much

Rebekka xx

EvilDoctor
Jun 20, 2005, 9:29 AM
Hi, just putting my :2cents: in. I am enjoying the chat, but would like the ability to save my settings so after I log out so I don't have to fiddle with them when I go back into chat next time. If it needs too much server space and it can't be done, I understand but if it's workable, I think it will be cool to have it.

David

Brian
Jun 20, 2005, 11:14 AM
Hi, just putting my :2cents: in. I am enjoying the chat, but would like the ability to save my settings so after I log out so I don't have to fiddle with them when I go back into chat next time. If it needs too much server space and it can't be done, I understand but if it's workable, I think it will be cool to have it.

DavidIt's workable, and I am on it! :)

hypershot
Jun 20, 2005, 1:18 PM
Hey drew!

Any idea why it still kicks us all out every now and then? Is it a server problem? It's happening less and less, but it still happens...sorry to be a pain...

Love Chris

xXx

DÆMØN
Jul 8, 2005, 11:54 AM
Drew, I got one word about your site and chat.

* SWEET ! *

If you want help / assistance / extra moderators etc... I'm yer guy. We'll have to hook up sometime and have a good tech discussion. The offer's there anyhoo when I have free time on my hands. Take yer time to get to know me, and vicy versey :) then hit me up if only for advice or expert google fishing expeditions. I've got a whole tech community at my disposal on both sides of the proverable fence. Anything but mac's :P

Snaked
Jul 8, 2005, 2:24 PM
Hi Drew,
I'm a new member and have tried to get into the chat room and it's not working for me...any secrets?
The little bar on the bottom of the screen reads:
Error:java.lang.NoSuchMethodError...(etc.) Is it me or is the computer too old or what? Please help if you can. Thank you. S. :)

Brian
Jul 8, 2005, 7:22 PM
Hi Drew,
I'm a new member and have tried to get into the chat room and it's not working for me...any secrets?
The little bar on the bottom of the screen reads:
Error:java.lang.NoSuchMethodError...(etc.) Is it me or is the computer too old or what? Please help if you can. Thank you. S. :) It sounds like you need a Java update: http://www.java.com/en/

Welcome and enjoy the site!

DÆMØN
Jul 8, 2005, 7:23 PM
Hi ya's, just wanted to help simplify the troubble shooting aspects for what we call bugreports Please list your operating system platform ( win98,win2kpro,winxp etc.) and version of Java that you have, as well as your computer's make / model ( Pentium/Intel/AMD , processor speed in Mhz, compaq, e-machine, etc...) and a full description of the problem, date and time would be helpful as well. Screen shots of error messages and so on. This will help us to pinpoint the problem and find a amiable solution a little quicker. *cheers*

codybear3
Jul 9, 2005, 6:04 PM
Hello Drew...I use the chat room but don't chat very much because I like to lurk and listen/read most of the interesting thing that people are saying. I do not have any problems with the new set-up except for the censoring....Thanks for the big change though.... :bipride:

Brian
Jul 9, 2005, 9:25 PM
Thanks for any help you can provide Daemon. :cap:

CodyBear, I don't think there is any word censoring. I fixed that a long while ago - unless something has somehow reverted.