PDA

View Full Version : Movies that make you cry...

biblkman
Jan 18, 2013, 9:06 AM
The Color Purple, Forest Gump, Tears of the Sun and Casualties of War.

Especially The Color Purple, in the scene were Suge Avery busted in the church and was singing to her father and at the end when Ceely was reunited with Netty and her kids is too much for me, I have to walk out of the room cause I start sobbing like a little girl...LOL

But all the above movies makes me cry...damn good movies

biblkman
Jan 18, 2013, 9:18 AM
When I think of some more I'll post them

Realist
Jan 18, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yep, I hated the way Danny Glover treated the women...I don't like any kind of cruelty.

I've always been very guarded in sad movies. People think you're wimpy, when they see you with tears in your eyes. I'd try to just suck it up and keep my feelings inside.

When I'm alone, and really into a scene, I'll catch myself getting teary-eyed. I know it's not realistic, but I love a happy ending. (In both movies and in life)

by~his~side
Jan 18, 2013, 11:31 AM
1-Saving Private Ryan. No particular scene. Just the whole sadness and brutality of war depicted in the movie was overwhelming.
2-Life Is Beautiful. The love the father had for his son. The depths he went to to protect his son from the horror of their situation.
3-Brokeback Mountain. A lifetime with a heart in waiting.

I have watched Brokeback more than a few times. I cry each time and it's a good cry. But I'll never watch either of the other two again. The sadness I felt
stayed with me for days.

Give me a nice romantic comedy anyday. :)
~D~

i_shoot_blanks
Jan 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
I have "Band of Brothers" and the last episode is one where the the actor playing Dick Winters is talking about the members of Easy and what they did after the war. That gets to me to some extent. The final disc is the most emotional one for me, the one showing a reunion of the actual Easy members. So many are gone now.

gladius
Jan 18, 2013, 8:13 PM
I have "Band of Brothers" and the last episode is one where the the actor playing Dick Winters is talking about the members of Easy and what they did after the war. That gets to me to some extent. The final disc is the most emotional one for me, the one showing a reunion of the actual Easy members. So many are gone now.

Band of Brothers, definately. Opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. The whole saga of Lonesome Dove, and of course Steel Magnolia's and both of the Grumpy Old Men movies. Then again, as one dyslexic, and fully dysfunctional man, any part of the series Monk can make me cry.

Long Duck Dong
Jan 18, 2013, 8:59 PM
The colour purple, forest gump..... yes biblkman, I love ya choices.....

we were soldiers,..... Three parts really get me....

Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/): [Hal Moore speaks to his men before going into battle] Look around you. In the 7th cavalry, we've got a captain from the Ukraine; another from Puerto Rico. We've got Japanese, Chinese, Blacks, Hispanics, Cherokee Indians. Jews and Gentiles. All Americans. Now here in the states, some of you in this unit may have experienced discrimination because of race or creed. But for you and me now, all that is gone. We're moving into the valley of the shadow of death, where you will watch the back of the man next to you, as he will watch yours. And you won't care what color he is, or by what name he calls God. They say we're leaving home. We're going to what home was always supposed to be. Now let us understand the situation. We are going into battle against a tough and determined enemy.
[pauses]
Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/): I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive. But this I swear, before you and before Almighty God, that when we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together. So help me, God.

Joseph Galloway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001608/): [narrating] Some had families waiting, for others their only family would be the men they bled beside, there were no bands, flags no honor guards to welcome them home, they went to war because their country ordered them to, but in the end they fought not for country or their flag, they fought for each other
Joseph Galloway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001608/): We who have seen war will never stop seeing it, in the silence of the night we will always hear the screams. So this is our story... For we were soldiers once and young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2Ad04mukI&playnext=1&list=PL71A840F842BC7085

gladius
Jan 18, 2013, 10:15 PM
The colour purple, forest gump..... yes biblkman, I love ya choices.....

we were soldiers,..... Three parts really get me....

Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/): [Hal Moore speaks to his men before going into battle] Look around you. In the 7th cavalry, we've got a captain from the Ukraine; another from Puerto Rico. We've got Japanese, Chinese, Blacks, Hispanics, Cherokee Indians. Jews and Gentiles. All Americans. Now here in the states, some of you in this unit may have experienced discrimination because of race or creed. But for you and me now, all that is gone. We're moving into the valley of the shadow of death, where you will watch the back of the man next to you, as he will watch yours. And you won't care what color he is, or by what name he calls God. They say we're leaving home. We're going to what home was always supposed to be. Now let us understand the situation. We are going into battle against a tough and determined enemy.
[pauses]
Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000154/): I can't promise you that I will bring you all home alive. But this I swear, before you and before Almighty God, that when we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together. So help me, God.

Joseph Galloway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001608/): [narrating] Some had families waiting, for others their only family would be the men they bled beside, there were no bands, flags no honor guards to welcome them home, they went to war because their country ordered them to, but in the end they fought not for country or their flag, they fought for each other
Joseph Galloway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001608/): We who have seen war will never stop seeing it, in the silence of the night we will always hear the screams. So this is our story... For we were soldiers once and young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2Ad04mukI&playnext=1&list=PL71A840F842BC7085

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla The original cover of Joe Galloways book, We Were Soldiers, Once And Young had a picture, taken during the combat for the I Drang Valley, South Viet Nam. The man pictured on the cover, was Lt. Rick Rescorla. Native from England, served his country in South Africa, and became a U.S. citizen. He also predicted after the '93 bombing of the Twin Towers, that they'd come back with planes........the next time. The man is an incrediable example of human exceptionalism, his heroics lead to his death.

pepperjack
Jan 19, 2013, 1:45 AM
Billy Jack......"...one tin soldier rides away...."

gladius
Jan 19, 2013, 1:57 AM
Billy Jack......"...one tin soldier rides away...."

Good one!

Dead Account
Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 AM
One flew over the cocoos nest, sixth sense at the end where the boy is telling his mom he's talking to his grandma, Green Mile, too many to think of. I'm a softie when it comes to tearjerker movies.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 20, 2013, 5:15 AM
Fried Green tomatoes, and Most definitely The Color Purple. Will Bawl like a baby. The scene in Dumbo at the song, "Baby of mine" Yep, Forest Gump. The Abyss.
Leaked at the end of the last Harry Potter movie, too..lol
Castaway with Tom Hanks. And too many more for my fogged brain to think ab out right now...
Cat

DuckiesDarling
Jan 20, 2013, 6:36 AM
lots of em get to me... one of the most powerful I've seen lately was Once Were Warriors, a case study in the self destruction of a family. Of course a lot of movies don't make me cry but they give you that tightness in your chest at certain scenes like Man From Snowy River when he rides Dint down the mountain side after the Bromby stallion.

Gearbox
Jan 20, 2013, 1:54 PM
Imitation Of Life! Feks me up real good.:eek2:

gladius
Jan 20, 2013, 2:30 PM
Passion of The Christ. The beating, as historically correct as it were, all but tore my heart out.

Dead Account
Jan 20, 2013, 3:06 PM
Gladiator was another one.

innaminka
Jan 20, 2013, 6:30 PM
Les Mis.

Absolutely a three tissue packet job.

But then the stage version had the same effect.

Agree also with Once were Warriors. And an oldie (I'm soft!!) The final scene from Watership Down when Hazel is summoned to join El-ahrairah's owsla. (sorry I'm sobbing just thinking of it --- hoooowwwwwl)

gladius
Jan 20, 2013, 6:44 PM
Winnie The Pooh, when I get to thinking of my older twins, when they were two years old. Whern Tigger meets Pooh Bear, and he jumps out, and knocks Pooh Bear over; sitting on his chest say WHOOOOOHAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Do it again, Daddy, do it again! I'd jump at them, like Tigger and tickle them.

I am so sorry, Cat, that you lost your son.

MyTimeNow
Jan 21, 2013, 7:55 AM
I'm pretty thick-skinned, but I can appreciate several of the movies that people have listed and can feel the emotion.

Probably for me is 'It's a Wonderful Life' if I watch it straight through. It can always make my eyes float.

12voltman59
Jan 21, 2013, 6:05 PM
A lot of good ones on here---also Field of Dreams, Tender Mercies, Schindler's List--especially near the end where he wished he could have done more--then the movie ends and they had actual footage of the remaining survivors his actions saved from the holocaust that were then living in Israel putting stones on his grave site in Israel--man---I just balled at that like I never have at any movie ever. Surprisingly--Second Hand Lions also got me to tear up.

I know that there are many more movies I should be able to recall--they just don't come to me at present--but I will think about it and add more later.

Solar
Jan 22, 2013, 3:15 AM
My wife guaranteed me The Color Purple and she was right. Also, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. The winter was warm....

dfwrkl75007
Jan 22, 2013, 3:22 PM
Brian's Song was the first movie that ever made me cry

Velorex
Jan 22, 2013, 4:25 PM
Brian's Song was the first movie that ever made me cry

OMG, i was about to post that when I scrolled down and saw your post. So sad. Great movie, but sad that it was true.

Heloisea3
Jan 24, 2013, 2:27 AM
OMG! Imitation of Life rips my heart right out of my chest. It's soo hard to watch. Of Mice and Men and Shadowlands get to me as well. They are all heartbreakers.

Long Duck Dong
Jan 24, 2013, 4:52 AM
Les Mis.

Absolutely a three tissue packet job.

But then the stage version had the same effect.

Agree also with Once were Warriors. And an oldie (I'm soft!!) The final scene from Watership Down when Hazel is summoned to join El-ahrairah's owsla. (sorry I'm sobbing just thinking of it --- hoooowwwwwl)

once were warriors was not just a movie... its very powerful and hard hitting cos its real, most of the people in the movie were not actors in a movie, they were real gang members at a bar while a movie was being made around them.... the house was a real state house, and yes the neighbors did complain about the late night parties that went on as the movie was being made.... even the music ( whats the time, mr wolf, whats the time ) was a nz music hit...

that movie is like a voyeuristic look at my past, what I walked away from....

darkeyes
Jan 24, 2013, 6:08 AM
Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind certainly brings tears 2 me eyes... have never been fond of the film but the performance of Viv is unwatchable... that awful whine.. and I am a huge fan!!! And then I think of her in Waterloo Bridge... sob sob sob!!! Must have seen it 2 dozen times now... that's a lot of tissues!!! Frantabulous film performance an' so, so sad... am a sucker for old weepies and have been since a child. And watching Bogart say bye bye 2 Ingrid in Casablanca always makes me eyes prick wiv a tear... I do have lil sniffle at modern film.. but it is those old grainy things made decades b4 I was born that really hit the spot and send me in2 floods...

biblkman
Jan 24, 2013, 8:37 AM
This may seem corny....but the cartoon movie " The Iron Giant " gets me watery eyed ...at the end when the giant flew to save everyone and said "superman" , always makes my eyes water, I know its corny !

first time guy
Jan 24, 2013, 4:54 PM
The Third Man gets me the final scene with the music really gets you in the heart.

12voltman59
Jan 24, 2013, 5:16 PM
Well---still cannot think of a movie that can make you cry---but sure as heck have a song that is bound to make you cry----one of the most beautiful songs I think that has been written to honor the death of one of our current generation soldiers---the song is titled "Dress Blues" by Jason Isbell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJb1_EGnapY