PDA

View Full Version : AIDS Day

tenni
Dec 1, 2012, 4:36 PM
December 1 is World AIDS Day

Out of sight? Out of mind?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/aboriginal-hiv-infections-growing-problem-canada-121145756.html

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/ID/2311849612/

Your thoughts?

tenni
Dec 1, 2012, 4:38 PM
Aboriginal AIDS activists in Canada say they are trying to lower the high rate of HIV infections among First Nations, Métis and Inuit people.

The Canadian Aboriginal AIDS Network is launching a national awareness campaign in Winnipeg on Saturday — to coincide with World AIDS Day — with the goal of reducing the number of new HIV infections and AIDS-related deaths.

"We need to say to our own community, 'Listen to the messages about HIV and AIDS. Protect yourself. Go get a test if you put yourself at risk,'" said Art Zoccole, president of the network's board.

"These are our future generations, and there is a responsibility of us in the aboriginal community to take care of each other and [get] everybody involved."
While First Nations, Métis and Inuit people represent 3.8 per cent of Canada's population, they account for 7.5 per cent of Canadians living with HIV, according to 2006 census figures.

As well, aboriginal people accounted for 12.5 per cent of all new HIV infections in Canada in 2008, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada.
That all means the HIV infection rate for aboriginal Canadians was 3.6 times higher than the rate for other Canadians in 2008.

darkeyes
Dec 2, 2012, 1:52 PM
Why we wonder, has this post been met with absolute silence among a community HIV/AIDS often affects so much? Why one wonders, are repetitive loud (cyber) mouthed trolls silent' 'bout an issue they so often rant and rave about saying so much yet so little while denying the reality of HIV/AIDS in much of the bisexual community... why is that do u think? Why one wonders, is there almost complete silence on the issue of HIV/AIDS from anyone on a bisexual site? Interesting isn't it?:confused:

tenni
Dec 2, 2012, 8:18 PM
Why we wonder, has this post been met with absolute silence among a community HIV/AIDS often affects so much? Why one wonders, are repetitive loud (cyber) mouthed trolls silent' 'bout an issue they so often rant and rave about saying so much yet so little while denying the reality of HIV/AIDS in much of the bisexual community... why is that do u think? Why one wonders, is there almost complete silence on the issue of HIV/AIDS from anyone on a bisexual site? Interesting isn't it?:confused:

Yes, I am surprised or perhaps more puzzled by the silence. There was a time in the artistic community that December 1 was treated with much visible respect. It was in the early days of AIDs when so many very creative artsie type were dying like flies and quite young. AIDs was leaving huge holes in the fabric of the artistic communites throughout North America and Europe. It seemed to support the belief that the arts community is full of fags..lol Things have changed. More is known and fewer are dying in great numbers. People in the arts community who are gay do still emphasize this. Maybe, with fewer people dying it is less urgent?

What about this site though? Not a word or concern about HIV? Blaise? Indifference. I may be bi but I live in a monogamous relationship and so it doesn't affect me and I don't care? I'm better and smarter than those who don't practice safe(r) sex.

Dunno?