PDA

View Full Version : male hormone replacement therapy

kitten
Nov 18, 2012, 9:46 AM
Hubby- having had severe health issues (heart failure and diabetes) over the past 6 years - is considered recovered. Yay! However, he has not had any sex drive during or since. He wants to try the testosterone hormone replacement therapy but has not made the appointment to check into it. Anyone have any experiences with this? Just information gathering to help him make a decision.
Thanks!

lolguy
Nov 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
About six years ago my doctor recommended that I begin testosterone replacement. I use AndroGel and I can tell you that I have no issues with libido, and no ED issues. Every six months blood testing is required to look at testorone and other hormone levels, and if all is in line, the Rx gets renewed for another six months. Fortunately, my insurance covers the prescription and physician visits. Androgel is very expensive, probably around $600 monthly without coverage. In Florida, there are a lot of clinics now specailizing in Low T, and they use monthly injections which I believe are less costly.

Bottom line...go to your doctor, get tested, and if lowT is the problem, get it fixed

soez2
Nov 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
If he tries T replacement and it does not work, make sure he finds a doc who can check out the underpinnings of the endocrine system. Specifically, the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis; adrenal levels (cortisol, DHEA); and thyroid levels. Very few docs understand this.

I say this because I had celiac disease before I got off gluten, and it wreaked havoc. My doc tried T shots and they did not help. However, I am now recovered and horny :) without having to do T replacement. I am 66.

While I was doing research on this subject, I read in more than one place that there is not a high level of correlation between testosterone level and sexual function. The only reasonable explanation for that is that other things are also important.

void()
Nov 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
I was given testosterone for treatment for about two years. This was roughly ten, or more years ago. The FDA cracked down on the companies making it. Only one in the U.S. made it then, after their 'cracking down'. It cost $25 for three doses prior to the crack down, after it was $100 per one dose. I come off cold turkey despite having a valid need and prescription for it. It became too costly as I needed two doses per month. And I'm talking about testosterone enanthate (http://www.steroidology.com/testosterone-enanthate-primoteston/) in sesame seed oil, given intra muscular. I got a shot in the buttocks, could have used my thigh. I can only figure as we've degraded on a whole generally, the cost per dose has risen.

Medically, be sure to watch liver via hematology levels. Ensure also bone density doesn't go overboard.

guywholikesboth
Nov 18, 2012, 4:20 PM
I started with Androgel didnt work out so I now get a testosterons shot every 2 weeks i the butt get to have a young nurse rub my cheecks it fun. I was always interested in sex but my erections were not as hard and I couldnt keep it. Dr checked and I had a low level everything is fine now wake up with it hard as a rock. One of the other symptons is being tired

void()
Nov 18, 2012, 7:31 PM
I started with Androgel didnt work out so I now get a testosterons shot every 2 weeks i the butt get to have a young nurse rub my cheecks it fun. I was always interested in sex but my erections were not as hard and I couldnt keep it. Dr checked and I had a low level everything is fine now wake up with it hard as a rock. One of the other symptons is being tired

*chuckles*

Prior to undergoing testosterone treatment, I never gained weight. I was only five foot three inches tall. After it, I had grown to six foot three inches and have not seen the underside of 250 pounds for a long time. Not all that extra weight is fat though, as the testosterone did bulk up muscle mass too.

shortstroke
Nov 19, 2012, 8:37 AM
At age 62, i developed an increasing ED which came and went. I have tried testosterone therapy which has had zero effect. It could be just me but.....

Randy from Pa
Nov 20, 2012, 7:57 PM
Kitten, I STRONGLY recommend consulting a uroligist, and maybe get hubbys PSA checked !!!!!!!!! They do a DRE at Drs office and then a blood test. Dont take or do anything b4 seeing them. Not to alarm, but see my profile,just being overly cautious. Good luck Kitten

_Joe_
Nov 20, 2012, 8:11 PM
Hubby- having had severe health issues (heart failure and diabetes) over the past 6 years - is considered recovered. Yay! However, he has not had any sex drive during or since. He wants to try the testosterone hormone replacement therapy but has not made the appointment to check into it. Anyone have any experiences with this? Just information gathering to help him make a decision.
Thanks!

My doctor was actually cautious of it, simply because 95% of the people advertising it are focusing on making money hand over fist instead of actually focusing on health reasons. ( I have one of those crazy wack doctors that prefers a healthy patient over prescribing whatever it takes to fill his pockets.) It's the new 'in thing' to increase a man's libido and whatnot, and many men simply do not need it.

First thing to check right off is the testosterone levels - if they are normal, then don't think it testosterone treatments will do much. Your hubby can also just be dealing with the #1 or #2 factor of decreased sex drive, physical and mental stress, which turned out to be my problem.

Any route you take, good luck to you two.

Bishyguy1958
Nov 21, 2012, 8:01 AM
I had low libido and ED. My urologist (I'm a bladder cancer survivor.) did some blood work, and found I had VERY low Testosterone.

I was on Testim for a couple of years until my insurance decided they weren't going to pay for it any more. Switched to Androgel. Feels like I'm applying a mixture of rubbing alcohol and KY Jelly to my chest every day....until the insurance company decided...."Nah....we wanna pay for Testim."

Ohhh-KAY. Back to Testim again. Best thing about Testim is you smell like you're wearing Musk or something like that. I've actually been complimented on my "after shave" or "body wash" scent.

With Androgel, I felt like it was making my chest hair grow like CRAZY! Really...I feel like Sasquatch some days.

Now, my T is back in the midrange, so I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with rock hard erections and horny as hell. So, I think the low T was only part of my problem. I'm under a lot of stress, and that can be a mood (and boner) killer.

Bottom line: Check him checked. Look for stressors in his life, also.

kitten
Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the information and shared experiences and especially the encouraging words. I will share with him and see what happens.
YES, stress is a big part of our lives and we are working on handling it better and reducing what we can.

Thanks again! Hugs!

Neonaught
Nov 22, 2012, 8:44 AM
I've been using Androgel for about 5 years now and can testify that it can make a big difference in several areas. 20 years ago I lost a testicle to a testicular cancer scare (I tell people my ex got in the divorce settlement <g>). As I entered middle age (I'll soon be 50) I was overweight, had ED issues and low libido and engery level. When I began Androgel therapy my libido seriously picked up as did my energy level. A short time later I was diagnosed with cancer and lost 100 pounds during the course of treatment. After that my ED issues completely vanished and my libido and energy levels took a big jump. I recommend what most of the other's have said here: get screen by your personal physician, not some Low-T clinic. Make sure you don't ignore the weight issue as well. All the testoserone in the world is not going to help you if your general health is poor.

kitten
Nov 28, 2012, 2:41 AM
Thanks Neo. He is doing much better with his weight loss and other improved health conditions. We actually had a positive sexual experience together over the weekend - the first in a few years. So, maybe he will not need the hormones afterall. I appreciate your statement -" all the testosterone in the world is not going to help you if your general health is poor". It's very true.

So we will see what the future holds. With his improved health, it is good that we have a future again!