PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

Dead Account
Oct 26, 2012, 8:30 PM
Folks, please be careful out there... :)

DuckiesDarling
Oct 28, 2012, 2:33 PM
I hope everyone is praying for the people in the path of this storm. It's a huge one, it will probably wind up being the Katrina of New England. Those directly in the path, please be careful and evacuate when told. Those affected, please know thoughts are with you.

welickit
Oct 28, 2012, 3:30 PM
Our prayers and thoughts go out to all in the path. National hurricane center says 800 mile wide wind path. We live in hurricane country and you can take our word, this is going to be one hell of a blow job. The wind will be worse for most rather than rain. KEEP AWAY FROM DOWNED POWER LINES!

jamieknyc
Oct 28, 2012, 4:04 PM
Thanks. I have front-row seats!

welickit
Oct 28, 2012, 4:30 PM
You should be pretty safe in NYC, although you will be on the East side of the storm, East is East & West is West but during a hurricane West is best. Hunker down and blow along with the storm. It looks like up state will get worse. To bad as my mother lives North of Albany. I told her to get the 12 gauge out and blow it the other direction. She said she has seen worse (hurricane of 38) at 88 years old she isn't worried.

by~his~side
Oct 28, 2012, 6:53 PM
Safe from the storm in NYC? LMFAO! I don't think so. Have you looked at a map Welickit?
I'm in North Jersey...maybe 35 miles west of Manhattan so my seats are pretty close to Jamies.
Common sense and a cool head will get most through this.
There are the idiots that will go down to the Jersey shore "just to see it".
The locals have to evacuate but the idiots are allowed on the beach. Go figure.

A year ago this week (29th and 30th) this area was hit with a major snowstorm. Huge storm!
What's with MotherNature not liking halloween??

~D~

12voltman59
Oct 28, 2012, 7:44 PM
I don't think that NYC is going to be safe----the Mayor's office has ordered a mandatory evacuation of many parts of the city and the transit authorities are in the process of shutting down the rail and subway lines. Let us hope that all the worst case scenarios projected for this storm don't come to pass----but if they had not done all these warnings, evacuations and shut downs and then the storm was bad and many people were hurt and killed as a result----then they would never hear the end of why not enough precautions were taken.

I do hope that our members on the NE coast all come through this thing relatively unscathed---at least they, their family and friends are not hurt or worse---you can rebuild a house, replace cars, furniture and stuff like that-----but a life cannot be replaced.

void()
Oct 28, 2012, 9:15 PM
Just to help if anyone is unaware:

http://www.weather.gov/ - On the front page National Weather Service has a click-able map which loads a page w/ current conditions.

http://www.redcross.org/ - Red Cross, will provide help in the form/s of food, shelter, medical, water and possibly volunteers to help in clean up.

Also check with http://www.unitedway.org/ local United Way's to volunteer yourself, or get help. If they are unable to help they'll at least point you in the right direction to get it.

If you're using Firefox with Overbite you can more readily access the Groundhog gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/groundhog It lists weather updates per region. You can also use Lynx (http://lynx.isc.org/) a text based web browser to fetch the updates. Also a windows 32 bit Lynx available http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/ .

justcurious4me
Oct 29, 2012, 12:01 AM
To those of you in the New England States: All I can say is this... My whole family is in both Wilkes-Barre PA and Albany NY and to say this give the situation some credance. This storm is predicted to be worse than Hurricane Agnes '72 and the Great Flood... For those that don't know that bit of history; Hurricane Agnes stalled over the Poconos in roughly the same fashion as what is happening right now, but Agnes didn't have two other systems joining with it. There was so much rain produced from the storm that it left my hometown under 42 feet of water. People from Wilkes-Barre know what I mean. If you are in the path of Sandy, please prepare yourselves and take as many precautions as you can to be safe!!! Governor Christie (NJ) was right on the money!!! Imposing youself on a friend for 2 days is a SMALL price to pay to save your life!!! We're all praying for you all!!! AND JIM CANTORIE (The Weather Channel) NEEDS TO LEAVE BATTERY PARK!!!! He curses every place he sets ground on, but NOT NYC!!!!!

Good Mood
Oct 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all the warm wishes sent this way. I believe the reasons they shut down the train system were twofold. First they are worried about flooding damaging the equipment plus with trains not running, those crazy enough to think about venture outside will have no way to get around. I'm north of the city on the Hudson River and we are all worried about our basements. During one past hurricane I was watching the water pour over the base of my sliding glass door and had to run outside with a shovel to dig a trench and divert the water. Since then I graded the land away from the house but I'm not sure I did it enough. We shall see! Good luck to all of you nearby :)

ShesBiHesStraight
Oct 29, 2012, 5:05 AM
Last year we had the flood in PA, and my husband's National Guard unit had to respond and he was there for well over a week

ShesBiHesStraight
Oct 29, 2012, 5:08 AM
(In a Seinfeld voice) And just what is the deal with the names? Haha
This year it's Sandy, last year it was Irene (and that bitch almost put a tree through my house!). It's like whoever names these disasters knows that these are the names of some very nasty women! Sandy causes trouble in our neighborhood and Irene is my husband's eeeeeeevil ex wife. Golly!

Good Mood
Oct 29, 2012, 7:57 PM
Westchester has 100,000 people without power already and there are 250,000 throughout the whole Con Ed system without power. I may be forced to watch TV by candle light tonight :)

onewhocares
Oct 30, 2012, 7:57 PM
Here it is exactly twenty four hours since the last post on this thread.....what does that say about the folks here. It shows me that there are so many people who have commented on the threads, but none thought to comment at the storm reached its peak. The vastness of this storm will surely affect many of our members here. I can think of many people in the PA, NJ, NY, RI and MA coasts who are active here. I am one who cares about the other members of this site.

To ALL the members who had or have Sandy passing near you I wish you my best. I am twenty miles from the southern coast of Massachusetts and while we have little damage, those around me are not so lucky. As I write this, we are experiancing thunder storms and heavy rain.

Stay safe my friends,
Belle

darkeyes
Oct 30, 2012, 8:49 PM
It isn't that we don't care Belle... I suspect people care more than u think.. but such is the awfulness of what we have seen and the fact that so much of it is still ongoing that many just don't know what to say.. the US is not the only country devastated by Sandy... and while I am concerned for those who live,were and will be caught in its path in ur country I am more concerned for those of Haiti and other Caribbean countries which do not have the wealth and infrastructure to recover from such a horrific event... Haiti in particular for reasons we all know well and it is for those reasons I hope that Americans will forgive us that donations my partner and I have already made and may yet make will be for disaster relief in Haiti and not the US. This is not to belittle the purpose of this thread I say this, and certainly not to minimise the ghastliness of what has happened in the US north eastern states, merely to explain why as non US citizens my partner and I act as we do. Our best wishes to all affected and our sympathies at this awful time.

Annika L
Oct 30, 2012, 9:56 PM
Here it is exactly twenty four hours since the last post on this thread.....what does that say about the folks here. It shows me that there are so many people who have commented on the threads, but none thought to comment at the storm reached its peak.

400 people could have commented as the storm reached its peak, and I wouldn't have known it...'cause the storm had reached its peak, and I didn't have any friggin' power or internet access.

I'm sorry, but trying to derive information from who posts on what thread seems flawed to me: you assume that people *do* care if they post on a thread, *and* you assume that they don't care if they don't. Both assumptions seem shaky to me.

I hope all are safe. I suspect some are not. And I suspect that those who most need my well-wishes cannot read this post at this time. If and when you do get around to reading this, know that my thoughts were with you.

That was awkward.

Brian
Oct 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
My thoughts go out to all those affected. As I mentioned in another thread I have been severely distracted the last few days and for at least 1 more day. I wish I had come along sooner and wished everyone safe passage. I hope all our members are okay.

- Drew :paw:

pepperjack
Oct 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
I've also been watching the news, the devastation & loss of life & really did not want to make this a political issue but the blatant demagoguery a week before election just riled me too much! Obama reacted in a presidential manner for a change when responding to New Jersey; guess why: http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell101112.php3

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Oct 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
Hugs to all of our members in the NY area and in All of the surrounding states as well..:}
Cat

Good Mood
Oct 31, 2012, 12:15 AM
Finally getting a chance to post. Today was spent contacting friends and neighbors. One lost their house completely at Breezy Point Queens though no one was home to be injured. Three others had damage from trees falling on roofs and decks though again no physical injuries. Everyone I know has lost power and for once I am in the small area unaffected by a power outage so we had local friends over to grab a hot meal, hot shower and recharge their electronics. Stared at the TV all day not fully comprehending the mess Manhattan is in. Wife and I were there Saturday night in midtown for dinner. Now I wouldn't be able to recognize it. This will take a massive cleanup but luckily this country has the infrastructure to undertake it.
To darkeyes great point, one neighbor who had damage to her house said she grew up in the Dominican Republic and having a storm come through there was very different from here. With the destruction suffered in our 4 or 5 states we are lucky to have the other 45 to share in the reconstruction. Good luck to everyone waiting for the lights to come back on!

Ducci7
Oct 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
We're getting the last of it here... We were lucky... Only alittle H2O in our basement but no damage...

onewhocares
Oct 31, 2012, 10:28 PM
It isn't that we don't care Belle... I suspect people care more than u think.. but such is the awfulness of what we have seen and the fact that so much of it is still ongoing that many just don't know what to say.. the US is not the only country devastated by Sandy... and while I am concerned for those who live,were and will be caught in its path in ur country I am more concerned for those of Haiti and other Caribbean countries which do not have the wealth and infrastructure to recover from such a horrific event... Haiti in particular for reasons we all know well and it is for those reasons I hope that Americans will forgive us that donations my partner and I have already made and may yet make will be for disaster relief in Haiti and not the US. This is not to belittle the purpose of this thread I say this, and certainly not to minimise the ghastliness of what has happened in the US north eastern states, merely to explain why as non US citizens my partner and I act as we do. Our best wishes to all affected and our sympathies at this awful time.

Yes, Frances, forgive me for not being so encompasing in my comments. Hurricane Sandy did massive devistation in countries other than the United States- Haiti and Cuba being two of the most hurt. I guess what I was trying to get across is that while this is a site for BISEXUALS, we are, first and foremost human beings. Human and empathetic to those around us who may suffer the consequences of Mother Nature. Not all concerns for the main forum could be addressed to just sexual topics. We have prided ourselves that in the past we are open to general questions of a sexual nature, historical questions, political questions, physical attractions and the like.

If I have come across as just and arrogant American looking for sympathy for her own people I am sorry for that is SO not who I am. I think you know that. Rather let our hearts and perhaps check books be open to all those around us who are in need as an aftermath of Sandy. International Red Cross would gladly welcome a donation.

Belle in Boston

darkeyes
Nov 1, 2012, 6:58 AM
Yes, Frances, forgive me for not being so encompasing in my comments. Hurricane Sandy did massive devistation in countries other than the United States- Haiti and Cuba being two of the most hurt. I guess what I was trying to get across is that while this is a site for BISEXUALS, we are, first and foremost human beings. Human and empathetic to those around us who may suffer the consequences of Mother Nature. Not all concerns for the main forum could be addressed to just sexual topics. We have prided ourselves that in the past we are open to general questions of a sexual nature, historical questions, political questions, physical attractions and the like.

If I have come across as just and arrogant American looking for sympathy for her own people I am sorry for that is SO not who I am. I think you know that. Rather let our hearts and perhaps check books be open to all those around us who are in need as an aftermath of Sandy. International Red Cross would gladly welcome a donation.

Belle in Boston
U didn't come across as arrogant, Belle.. it's a natural thing to think of one's own in times of disaster... it is much more immediate to u and so I understand.

In 1988 we had a huge winter storm... my dad's garden was a disaster area and a tree was blown down and smashed his greenhouse and my brothers bedroom window.. I was only 8 but I know mum and dad and certainly not me or my brother and sister thought too much of the outside world except for our own relatives and closest friends... our minds were on other things... not until the storm had blow itself out and later in the day we saw on telly just how bad it had been for others around the country, and we heard that several people had lost their lives and many others even their homes did it dawn on us the effect on the rest of the country...

In the case of Sandy, not being American gives me a view of the whole situation that being caught up in the storm directly doesn't give to Americans even if what has happened in the US or was going to happen dominates even our news. So put ur mind at easy me luffly Boston tall lady... Fran didnt think badly of u in the least...

onewhocares
Nov 1, 2012, 9:26 AM
Thanks Frances, your thoughts mean so much to me. While we here in the South Coast of Massachusetts had bad weather, we had little damage compared to those in the direct path of Sandy. From the Carolina's to Ohio to Canada. Here is a link to a photo slide show of Sandy's wrath.http://slideshow.nbcnews.com/slideshow/weather/hurricane-sandy-49596252/

Hugs from Boston

Dead Account
Nov 1, 2012, 10:19 PM
We faired very well this time around here in Southern Maryland. I'm amazed it wasn't worse. I guess I have a touch of survivors guilt knowing what New Jersey and New York are going through right now. My heart goes out to you and yours. Godspeed and may this soon be a thing of memory.

gladius
Nov 2, 2012, 12:16 AM
We faired very well this time around here in Southern Maryland. I'm amazed it wasn't worse. I guess I have a touch of survivors guilt knowing what New Jersey and New York are going through right now. My heart goes out to you and yours. Godspeed and may this soon be a thing of memory.

Don't feel any guilt, Doogie, there are times that we can allow ourselves to be selfish. The fact that you even started the thread tells us that you're not one sitting back laughing at others misery.

void()
Nov 2, 2012, 8:24 AM
Here it is exactly twenty four hours since the last post on this thread.....what does that say about the folks here. It shows me that there are so many people who have commented on the threads, but none thought to comment at the storm reached its peak. The vastness of this storm will surely affect many of our members here. I can think of many people in the PA, NJ, NY, RI and MA coasts who are active here. I am one who cares about the other members of this site.

To ALL the members who had or have Sandy passing near you I wish you my best. I am twenty miles from the southern coast of Massachusetts and while we have little damage, those around me are not so lucky. As I write this, we are experiancing thunder storms and heavy rain.

Stay safe my friends,
Belle

Belle,

I once held you in high esteem. I can appreciate you care. There are many here whom do. I understand also a need to be with your immediate family, friends in time of crisis. Your words here though have wounded me to the quick and shown that I misplaced the high esteem in which I held you.

I know it wasn't at the peak of the storm but did you not see this post (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?13563-Hurricane-Sandy&p=241221&viewfull=1#post241221)? And I'm not the only one to have tried offering words of concern, advice and thoughts and prayers. If you cared so much, maybe you should have looked and seen others cared too, before blasting everybody as being inconsiderate clowns. Thank you for showing me how much my words, thoughts matter. Glad you care enough to do that. I'll surely remember it, aspire to be as caring.

*void shakes his noggin in disbelief and wanders on*

Waylon
Nov 2, 2012, 3:26 PM
Got power back but now the problem is getting gas. Heard there was a station in Coram but by the time I got there, it was all gone. There was a park and ride next door so I cruised thru there, saw a guy I knew and since he was looking for some head, I was glad to oblige. He tasted better than gasoline btw. Now he is empty but I kinda got a fill-up, lol.

gladius
Nov 2, 2012, 4:31 PM
Belle,

I once held you in high esteem. I can appreciate you care. There are many here whom do. I understand also a need to be with your immediate family, friends in time of crisis. Your words here though have wounded me to the quick and shown that I misplaced the high esteem in which I held you.

I know it wasn't at the peak of the storm but did you not see this post (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?13563-Hurricane-Sandy&p=241221&viewfull=1#post241221)? And I'm not the only one to have tried offering words of concern, advice and thoughts and prayers. If you cared so much, maybe you should have looked and seen others cared too, before blasting everybody as being inconsiderate clowns. Thank you for showing me how much my words, thoughts matter. Glad you care enough to do that. I'll surely remember it, aspire to be as caring.

Nothing like turning a natural disaster and making it about yourself.

darkeyes
Nov 2, 2012, 7:00 PM
I have already written of Haiti and why my partner and I's aid goes to that country.. I know this thread was begun about the effects of Sandy on the US, but this is not a US site, and the storm affected far more than the US, and so while we weep for the US, u will forgive us if most of our tears are for a country, indeed countries far less able than the US to deal with or recover from what was a true hurricane when it hit and threatened with an aftermath of disease and misery far greater than is the US. Petty nipping at each other at such times becomes no one and does no one the slightest good, and if people must I suggest it that they do so in the privacy of their own sewer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/02/aftermath-hurricane-sandy-haiti-disaster

welickit
Nov 2, 2012, 7:53 PM
The good old USA rebuilt Great Britain and is the world leader in foreign aid to others (we went past Japan in 2001). Nice to see the support returned. Foreign aid isn't just dollars, it is military and otherwise as in training your fighter pilots to defend you. With the exception of Canada few countries or their residents have come forth during a time of need in the US, send your ten bucks where you will, someone will appreciate it. Refreshing to see you literate enough to make sense in your ramblings.

onewhocares
Nov 2, 2012, 7:57 PM
Belle,

Void,

Perhaps in my frustration in seeing the few people who posted on the storm thread versus the sexually based threads, I selected my words in correctly. I should have said ....so few have commented. I never meant to negate the concerns and comments of those who did in fact reply. I viewed the storm and aftermath as many did via the media and on line.

But today it really hit home for us. Yesterday the construction company for which I work was asked to deliver commercial generators to Staten Island. I wanted to drive but do not have a CDL. Along with the generators, we sent pallets of water to fill up the trailer. The driver that did go was astonished at the devistation. He said that certain areas were barren. We are going back again on Sunday.

If I offended you, I am sorry.

Belle

gladius
Nov 2, 2012, 8:03 PM
[QUOTE=darkeyes;241441]I have already written of Haiti and why my partner and I's aid goes to that country.. I know this thread was begun about the effects of Sandy on the US, but this is not a US site, and the storm affected far more than the US, and so while we weep for the US, u will forgive us if most of our tears are for a country, indeed countries far less able than the US to deal with or recover from what was a true hurricane when it hit and threatened with an aftermath of disease and misery far greater than is the US. Petty nipping at each other at such times becomes no one and does no one the slightest good, and if people must I suggest it that they do so in the privacy of their own sewer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/02/aftermath-hurricane-sandy-haiti-disaster[/QUOT

With all due respect to you own heart towards Haiti, America has been by her side for many a year. You will please excuse me, for not having a heart as big as a garbage can toward her, as I have seen the refuse float to my shores.

gladius
Nov 2, 2012, 8:05 PM
Void,

Perhaps in my frustration in seeing the few people who posted on the storm thread versus the sexually based threads, I selected my words in correctly. I should have said ....so few have commented. I never meant to negate the concerns and comments of those who did in fact reply. I viewed the storm and aftermath as many did via the media and on line.

But today it really hit home for us. Yesterday the construction company for which I work was asked to deliver commercial generators to Staten Island. I wanted to drive but do not have a CDL. Along with the generators, we sent pallets of water to fill up the trailer. The driver that did go was astonished at the devistation. He said that certain areas were barren. We are going back again on Sunday.

Belle

In my opinion, you are more generous than you ought to be. However, a great heart is surely a welcome visage.

darkeyes
Nov 2, 2012, 8:49 PM
My intention is not to score points but to try and make people realise that the US, badly hurt by this storm as it undoubtedly was, is not the only country in the region devastated by the storm, and that petty nitpicking serves no purpose... the US is far better able to to deal with the aftermath than what is for instance, the poorest and most undeveloped country in the western hemisphere,,, what countries did or did not do at various points through history is an equally purile contribution to debate and not pertinent to the crisis at hand.

gladius
Nov 3, 2012, 12:39 AM
Again, Darkeyes; As Americans, we are a people who really are of humble origin, most like our kindred. If not Haiti, then Karachi, if not Karchi, then Ankara, or Moscow. Wherever there is an urgent need, or even a need, we, as the populace of America, will fill that gap.

gladius
Nov 3, 2012, 12:52 AM
Please do not find my county to fault for the worlds ills, we all share in that bargain, except Canadians. OH! Cheap shot. My bad. I may agree with some of the members world view, but I will respect what you have to say................except, Canadians. Tenni, please never look for work that has to do with American/Canadian relations.

darkeyes
Nov 3, 2012, 7:36 AM
I don't hold your county at fault for the world's ills, or your country;)...at least not all of them... none is exempt from bearing it's share responsibility.. there was and is no criticism in anything I said of your country.. however much u may wish to make out otherwise.. merely a statement of why any aid we give goes to a nation far poorer than your own with far less infrastructure, fewer resources, less wealth and infinitely less able to deal with a catastrophe on the scale of Sandy.. I understand why the US will be less able to assist countries such as Haiti for it has so many of it's own problems that it must deal with.. as individuals none of us has an infinite resource, but it is not out of spite our "ten bucks" goes to aiding Haiti.. but out of concern for a country far less able than yours to deal with the aftermath of a catastrophe on this scale for itself....

..and u can trust me on this.. were the US the only country to have been affected, we would not think twice about donating what we could either in money or in goods to assist.. but we prioritise whatever we give as best we can by donating to those places which we believe have greatest need.. and presently, we believe that Haiti has greater and more pressing need of our "ten bucks", old surplus clothing and foodstuffs than the US.. we are relatively prosperous.. but like most, we don't have a bottomless pit of resources.. and that is the only reason we have acted and will continue to act as we have.

void()
Nov 3, 2012, 8:02 AM
Void,

Belle

*hugs*

Back in 1989 I believe it was, in the Shenandoah Valley area we had a terrible flood. I saw the sand covered roads via the media, Sandy left behind. It recalled helping clean the silt out of a friend's home. The smell lingers for years afterward.

I can understand the frustration. It did bother me me, I'll live though. Probably ought not have taken it your words so harshly. Apologies for that.

jamieknyc
Nov 3, 2012, 7:33 PM
Hello everyone, I'm fine but we had no power for five days.

pepperjack
Nov 3, 2012, 9:49 PM
Belle,

Throughout our past year & 1/2 encounters you have maintained a disbelief in deity! So to what or whom ( notice correct use of the word "whom" ) have you been "praying" to on behalf of hurricane victims? Not to mention putting a victim of said hurricane on an unnecessary guilt trip.

* pepperjack turns back in disgust at blatant hypocrisy *

12voltman59
Nov 3, 2012, 11:12 PM
Well, that storm sure was something---we felt affects by it all the way inland here in Ohio--we had high winds that in some areas brought down trees and limbs, which in turn took out power for some----around my town----everyone that had lost it were back on within 24 hours---but in some places up around Cleveland they are still out and surely---for so many people in parts of the New Jersey and New York coastal areas----life will never be the same. Sadly--the death toll rises nearly every day. I think one thing is going to be clear---seeing the videos shot from the air of some communities on the coast---what was once land is now ocean and there are going to be many areas that will probably never be rebuilt. I surely hope that more power can be restored to those areas that its still out like in places like out on Staten Island.

void()
Nov 6, 2012, 7:54 AM
Throughout our past year & 1/2 encounters you have maintained a disbelief in deity! So to what or whom ( notice correct use of the word "whom" ) have you been "praying" to on behalf of hurricane victims? Not to mention putting a victim of said hurricane on an unnecessary guilt trip.

* pepperjack turns back in disgust at blatant hypocrisy *

One can pray without need of a god. It is called meditation and focusing of positive energy. Besides a person can in effect pray to potentiality. Not hypocritical to do that. You might be interested in reading _Illusions_ by Richard Bach. He writes a bit more descriptively of the Is.

Belle's original post also seemed to imply guilt trips for everyone here, too. Even she admitted that she had misspoke out of frustration. Not saying two wrongs make a right. The matter was addressed previously, and finished.

Glad you're disgusted. Now, can you leave off but good?