PDA

View Full Version : you know....

DuckiesDarling
Sep 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
if all political ads were as to the point as this one... more people might vote :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/7743676/Samuel-Jackson-Wake-the-F-k-Up

tall tale
Sep 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
if all political ads were as to the point as this one... more people might vote :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/7743676/Samuel-Jackson-Wake-the-F-k-Up

Aren't you from and live in the state of Missouri?

DuckiesDarling
Sep 28, 2012, 1:54 PM
Aren't you from and live in the state of Missouri?

No, I'm not :)

and JP>> lighten up, the truth is what he said makes a whole lot of sense, you just don't happen to agree. Now you bash NBC, what happened to bashing FOX oh wait.. just another source of something you don't agree with...

I've heard privately from a few who enjoyed the post but didn't want to put political leanings on here and to those that enjoyed it, you are welcome. To those that didn't.. DILLIGAF?? Go vote.

*pan*
Sep 28, 2012, 4:31 PM
when people STOP listening to movie celebrities and start understanding the issues, read about them, discuss them, and know what it means, then I'll pay attention to some emotionally charged diatribe from someone who doesn't know the issues, hasn't really read much about it other than what he's heard from friends and NBC, and understands it.

i have to agree on this one and add to it, in today's political environment who is voted in is so important, the stakes are higher now then they ever been, in the past it really did not matter much , when the economy was healthy and everyone had their constitutional and civil rights and no one would even think of messing with them. today the country is broke and politicians are running wild with laws and regulations which can only lead to more debt. there are lies in the media and in the whitehouse, lies by your politicians and president. your liberties are at stake along with what ever you worked for. yet when asked about the problems in this country, all we get in return is blaming and excuses. seems the politicians and president always want to war with someone. if i had the money spent for 1 cruise missle i'd be rich and could feed my family for a very long time without even working. think about that every time they launch one. obama isn't going to get this country back on track and neither will romney. people are fooled by slick talkers and actors. well hitler was a good talker and a great actor too. so was stalin and the rest of the tyrants. i hate to get into these political discussions because too many are lead by their hearts and not their heads. there is no place in politics for feelings, decision should be made on facts by wise and learned individuals with expirence, not at the whim of people reacting on emotions. yes wake up america and do some research. personaly i liked ron paul at least he never lied. and he would have at least gotten the country back to what it was supposed to be, a republic, we would have been out of debt. then the country could have started over, would have been like a reboot. and he would have only been there 4 years then we could have put any other garbonzo in there we wanted if we wanted. but the powers that be were scared of ron paul and done everything they could against his campaine. now that that idea is destroyed i am along for the ride now to see what happens and i already know whats going to happen sad to say.

Nextyearsxmassgifts
Sep 28, 2012, 5:08 PM
in the past it really did not matter much , when the economy was healthy and everyone had their constitutional and civil rights and no one would even think of messing with them.

pan, I agree with so much of what you said. Get the information do the research your self! But I truly believe it has always mattered who got voted in. I always here "I'm just not interested in politics" or "my vote doesn't really matter." People DIED so you could vote! I cant believe people have so little respect for human life as to ignore what was made possible for them by thous who died for it. But Im not going to knock a movie star for doing an add. Its his way of doing his part for what he thinks is right. Agree or disagree with his view. Hes still more engaged then most of America....

DuckiesDarling
Sep 29, 2012, 7:10 PM
Sighs... cue political diatribe.

Yeah, I'm a Democrat. I'm also pro LGBT, pro Gun, pro Choice and I don't hide those facts in my real life so why the hell should I hide them online? I posted the video because of two reasons: One, it's funny. Two, it's true in my eyes. Sorry you don't like the fact that people can actually think for themselves but I'm calling you out on your so called ability to think for yourself. There is no denying the entire Republican platform is not about putting America back to work but in putting one man, Obama, out of a job.

There is no denying Romney totally discounts most of America as worthless.. yeah way to get votes. Newsflash those that are on disability, social security or unemployment had to work to qualify to receive those benefits. It is not welfare. It is not living off the dole as they say.

Please wake up and realize that the majority of Americans are having to live below the poverty line. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml See the figures for yourself. Yes, those are actual figures that people have to try and live on... that's paying rent, medicine as a lot of people recieving disability do not yet qualify for Medicare and even when they do.. well someone has to pay deductible and coinsurance and out of pocket for things that aren't covered. The list of things not covered under Medicare is a lot longer than things not covered under private insurance.

I believe in America and I believe that the person who is most suited to getting Americans back to work is Barack Obama, not Mitt Romney. So I say to the Romney supporters..

8777 and if Romney is elected, that's exactly what I'll get to see. Don't try to change my political mind with your long winded diatribes cause if I want that I'll simply turn the tv on to FOXnews. I'm political and I'm straight, yet my political support goes for the people who are most in favor of LGBT rights.. amazing...

Vuillardgr
Sep 29, 2012, 8:48 PM
Ron Paul..... he is a "states rights" guy. Yeah , no thanks. If the federal government didn't intervene, the south would still be segregated, I wouldn't be able to vote, couldn't make my own reproductive decisions, etc etc. I am amazed that we are having to revisit several of these issues.... people who have been voting for decades and people are trying to take those rights away, in Louisiana they are trying to make it hard as hell for a woman to decide whether or not she wants to keep a pregnancy. It isn't even about if one is pro choice or life , it's about being able to make decisions concerning your own health and well being.

These are some dangerous times in terms of maintaining basic notions of person hood...I'm against anyone who tries to rob citizens of those rights.

darkeyes
Sep 30, 2012, 6:48 AM
There isn't any doubt that in both our countries there is a concerted attack on women's rights.. it's happening for different reasons and in different ways in each but it is happening nonetheless. So we have to defend what we have and try and turn the tide and that means in part voting for the party which is most sympathetic to women's issues.. it is a similar argument to the question of who to vote for over gay and bisexual issues.. in both countries it just so happens that the same party in each country is pro women's issues as is pro lgbt and the same is true at least in the US anti although in the UK the Tories arent quite as anti lgbt they are much less sympathetic and far more divided..

Regarding celebrities making comments or adverts about political issues it is a bit of a double edged sword.. many just take celebs as light weight dummies who really have no business involving themselves in political affairs.. all I say is Ronald Reagan did and was eventually elected Pres of the US... many are as bright and well informed as any politician and as any of us and they have the right to say their peace just as any of us are.. it doesn't matter if they are unintelligent imbeciles or whether they are the greatest genius of all time.. if they believe what they say then who are we to slag them off for it? They are citizens and they are voters and so have the same rights to express themselves and spend their money as do we.. many work diligently and with passion for causes and parties just as we do... I am no great one for the cult of celebrity, but I am one for the cult of freedom of speech and expression and it is not for us to condemn them for speaking out.. possibly for what they say.. but not for the fact that they say it...

void()
Sep 30, 2012, 3:58 PM
Sighs... cue political diatribe.

Yeah, I'm a Democrat. I'm also pro LGBT, pro Gun, pro Choice and I don't hide those facts in my real life so why the hell should I hide them online? I posted the video because of two reasons: One, it's funny. Two, it's true in my eyes. Sorry you don't like the fact that people can actually think for themselves but I'm calling you out on your so called ability to think for yourself. There is no denying the entire Republican platform is not about putting America back to work but in putting one man, Obama, out of a job.

There is no denying Romney totally discounts most of America as worthless.. yeah way to get votes. Newsflash those that are on disability, social security or unemployment had to work to qualify to receive those benefits. It is not welfare. It is not living off the dole as they say.

Please wake up and realize that the majority of Americans are having to live below the poverty line. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml See the figures for yourself. Yes, those are actual figures that people have to try and live on... that's paying rent, medicine as a lot of people recieving disability do not yet qualify for Medicare and even when they do.. well someone has to pay deductible and coinsurance and out of pocket for things that aren't covered. The list of things not covered under Medicare is a lot longer than things not covered under private insurance.

I believe in America and I believe that the person who is most suited to getting Americans back to work is Barack Obama, not Mitt Romney. So I say to the Romney supporters..

8777 and if Romney is elected, that's exactly what I'll get to see. Don't try to change my political mind with your long winded diatribes cause if I want that I'll simply turn the tv on to FOXnews. I'm political and I'm straight, yet my political support goes for the people who are most in favor of LGBT rights.. amazing...

DD

You already know where I stand to a degree. This year thanks to wife being unable to land the better job, we'll be lucky to see $8,000 - $11,000 (maybe) for the year. Granted, I could possibly find something to do. Not sure I could stay with it. And after putting in 30-35 years of grungy crap work and not seeing any sort of decent return, working for someone else again just does not sit well in me.

There's not much around where we live that would be considered light industrial material handling, either. That, or sorting mail or working a print shop seeming all I would feel able to do now. With consideration given of course for me to have breaks as needed. Not able to sit or stand great durations without pain. Working on reducing the pain, been told though it's here for the long set. Back surgery isn't really an apt option.

With you on three of the four you list and the fifth you mention later. Not a democrat as I'm not any party, yet. Probably won't be any party either. But I digress, you're aware of the rest.

Annika L
Oct 2, 2012, 7:28 PM
Please wake up and realize that the majority of Americans are having to live below the poverty line. http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml See the figures for yourself.

I'm sorry, DD, but the link you provide only *defines* the poverty line...one definition anyway...I don't see where it substantiates your claim that the majority of Americans live below it. This New York Times article from about a year ago indicates that the percentage of Americans living below the poverty line is actually much closer to 15%:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/us/14census.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.

One can certainly argue that in a nation as prosperous as ours, and where so many are living in as much luxury as we do, 15% living in such straits is too many, given what those straits are like (which your link does provide some information about). I would agree with that argument. And I would also agree that Obama is much more likely than Romney to even care about the issue, let alone try to address it, let alone succeed.

Salohcin22
Oct 2, 2012, 7:55 PM
I love that ad. lol, It's straight and to the point. I can't believe paul ryan is attacking women and their rights so much. plus if you've seen what Romney did in Massachusets you should know his intervention only taxes mid and lowers taxes for the rich while screwing over the economy and outsourcing jobs.

Annika L
Oct 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
OMG, DD...I'd replied above after reading the thread responses...but I hadn't yet actually seen the video you'd posted. LOLOL, it is fabulous!! Thank you so much for that!

falcondfw
Oct 3, 2012, 4:16 AM
Samuel Jackson is a complete freakin moron politically. Awesome actor. Stupid personally. What he says IS correct in one way. This is an INCREDIBLY important election.

It is ALWAYS important to vote. People who don't, have no right to complain, except that they are given that right under our Constitution.
If you do not vote for who you support, you are, in essence, voting for the other guy. Simple logic.

I have experienced Obama's America. And Holder's. And Napolitano's. And I know what they want for their second term.

I have seen Romney's record in Massachusetts (I was raised there. Have many friends there). And his record at Bain and with the Olympics.

I do not like many of the things he did in Massachusetts. But he does understand business. I have also read his platform and Obama's.

Finally, I have seen what Paul Ryan has done in Congress. I have seen what he believes. HE has been painted TOTALLY unfairly by the liberals and the Obama administration in his beliefs. He is the ONLY one in Congress or the White House who has the courage and the strength to actually propose a budget AND take on entitlement reform in this country. Oh wait! I neglect the fact the White House proposed a 2013 budget! A budget that was so OUTRAGEOUS that the ENTIRE SENATE VOTED AGAINST IT 98 - 0!!!!!!!!!!

NOBODY, except Paul Ryan, has had the courage to try and fix medicare and social security (both are Ponzi schemes and would be illegal on Wall Street). He made tough choices. But he DOES NOT "throw Grandma over the cliff".

If the liberals were running a candidate other than Barack Obama against Mitt Romney, I would be seriously tempted to vote for that candidate, depending on who it was. But the fact that Romney was smart enough to select Ryan as his VP candidate means I will definitely vote Romney-Ryan. I am hoping Ryan will mitigate some of Romney's wishy-washyness.

We need to get the budget, debt, AND entitlements under control. I have 3 kids (maybe 4, but that is a long story). If we do not reform the budget, deficit, and entitlements, there will be no America for my kids. Freedoms will be gone. Entitlements will be gone. They will be working to pay 50, 60, 75% income tax and get nothing in return. It is always much easier to reform things now than it is later. Look at Greece. They waited too long to reform. Is that what people want for America?

And if that does not scare the hell out of you, think of it this way: A vote for Obama means JOE BIDEN IS ONE STEP AWAY FROM THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

falcondfw
Oct 3, 2012, 4:21 AM
DD

You already know where I stand to a degree. This year thanks to wife being unable to land the better job, we'll be lucky to see $8,000 - $11,000 (maybe) for the year. Granted, I could possibly find something to do. Not sure I could stay with it. And after putting in 30-35 years of grungy crap work and not seeing any sort of decent return, working for someone else again just does not sit well in me.

There's not much around where we live that would be considered light industrial material handling, either. That, or sorting mail or working a print shop seeming all I would feel able to do now. With consideration given of course for me to have breaks as needed. Not able to sit or stand great durations without pain. Working on reducing the pain, been told though it's here for the long set. Back surgery isn't really an apt option.

With you on three of the four you list and the fifth you mention later. Not a democrat as I'm not any party, yet. Probably won't be any party either. But I digress, you're aware of the rest.

Void,
I am so sorry for your situation. I truly feel for you. Is it the back that is causing the pain situation?
If so, and I am sure you will respect this name if you have been involved in medicine as a patient or doctor, Baylor Hospital, here in Plano, TX has opened a . . . not sure what to call it. They call it "The Back Institute". They are offering all kinds of new and innovative procedures.
Please, please, I know back pain and it sucks. Look into this. You never know. They may be able to help where no one could before.

falcondfw
Oct 3, 2012, 4:27 AM
I love that ad. lol, It's straight and to the point. I can't believe paul ryan is attacking women and their rights so much. plus if you've seen what Romney did in Massachusets you should know his intervention only taxes mid and lowers taxes for the rich while screwing over the economy and outsourcing jobs.

Thank you for spouting the liberal line (not like we haven't heard it before).

If you actually did your own research and investigated Jackson's claims and the liberal claims, you would know they are all hype and no substance. But most liberals don't want to bother thinking for themselves. They want to be TOLD what is SAFE to think about by the government and the media.

Simple mathematics. If a company is failing, costs have to be reduced and revenues have to be increased. Sometimes by job cuts. Is it worth it to cut 1,000 jobs so that the company continues operating and 10,000 people still have jobs? I think so. Is it worth it to outsource 1,000 jobs so that 500 still have jobs here? I think so. Where has logic gone in this country?

DuckiesDarling
Oct 3, 2012, 5:05 AM
Thank you for spouting the liberal line (not like we haven't heard it before).

If you actually did your own research and investigated Jackson's claims and the liberal claims, you would know they are all hype and no substance. But most liberals don't want to bother thinking for themselves. They want to be TOLD what is SAFE to think about by the government and the media.

Simple mathematics. If a company is failing, costs have to be reduced and revenues have to be increased. Sometimes by job cuts. Is it worth it to cut 1,000 jobs so that the company continues operating and 10,000 people still have jobs? I think so. Is it worth it to outsource 1,000 jobs so that 500 still have jobs here? I think so. Where has logic gone in this country?

Where has logic gone?? Hang on let me call a local number and be transferred to India for the answer. Yeah that's sarcasm.

I think for myself, Falcon, thank you very much. And I think that Romney is the worst thing that could ever happen to this country. But you keep on believing you are safe from his hands dipping into your pockets and I'll keep believing Obama is the better choice. You vote your way, I'll vote mine and from the poll numbers.. my vote is going for the winning side.

falcondfw
Oct 3, 2012, 7:20 AM
Where has logic gone?? Hang on let me call a local number and be transferred to India for the answer. Yeah that's sarcasm.

I think for myself, Falcon, thank you very much. And I think that Romney is the worst thing that could ever happen to this country. But you keep on believing you are safe from his hands dipping into your pockets and I'll keep believing Obama is the better choice. You vote your way, I'll vote mine and from the poll numbers.. my vote is going for the winning side.

DD,
I was not talking to you. You think for yourself and always have. Even if I STRONGLY disagree with your point of view, I can respect it because you do your homework. The same with Fran. She believes the way she believes and I have no problem with that. She has her beliefs and backs them up with the facts she believes in. I have no problem with either of those things. I disagree with them, but that is the beauty of the USA. We can disagree.
What I have a problem with is those who just watch the evening news and nod up and down and spout the mantra "Obama is god. He should be worshiped, because he is black. Everything he does is correct."
If you do your research and are liberal, congratulations. That is your choice. I may disagree, but that is your INFORMED choice.
If you do your research and are conservative, congratulations. That is your choice.
If you can't be bothered to look into things and you are a robot? I have no respect or time for you until you do your homework.

darkeyes
Oct 3, 2012, 10:42 AM
DD,
I was not talking to you. You think for yourself and always have. Even if I STRONGLY disagree with your point of view, I can respect it because you do your homework. The same with Fran.
Not to... but about.. darlin' darlin' is wot u call a liberal I think... stop wheedlin' babes.. *laffs*

Call me a liberal and u are in deep doodoo.. means summat else here..:impleased

DuckiesDarling
Oct 3, 2012, 10:44 AM
Not to... but about.. darlin' darlin' is wot u call a liberal I think... stop wheedlin' babes.. *laffs*

Call me a liberal and u are in deep doodoo.. means summat else here..:impleased

Not a liberal, not a conservative but definitely liberated, thanks :)

darkeyes
Oct 3, 2012, 10:58 AM
Not a liberal, not a conservative but definitely liberated, thanks :)
Can accept that... I don't think of u as a liberal either.. and please darlin' darlin', I'm not trying to be offensive.. just how I think of u based on things u have said...:)

void()
Oct 4, 2012, 11:52 AM
The CPD did not allow third party candidates to participate in the debate. You can see an extended (http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/4/expanding_the_debate_exclusive_third_party) debate, which does allow third party candidates equal time to speak. Considering Dr. Stein' (http://www.jillstein.org/)s presentation in the debate, may even decide upon voting this time round. Worst we could do is vote all current people in office out of it and replace them with robots. Go Independents!

darkeyes
Oct 4, 2012, 1:43 PM
Bit of distraction... but not maybe as much as u might think... democracy and how to do what is needed.. I give u one of America and the UK's most unfave democrats...http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/03/why-us-dcemonises-venezuelas-democracy?intcmp=122

With due respect to all our nice freedom loving leaders... maybe something to learn from here..