PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Bakersfield, Ca

sexyunit
Sep 3, 2012, 2:01 PM
Any information about gay bars, bisexual friendly clubs, or sex clubs would be appreciated!

IanBorthwick
Sep 3, 2012, 4:18 PM
Bakersfield is about 84 Miles north of where I live, and I do not know of anything there that would pass for what you are looking for. It's more polluted than Los Angeles and also more conservative as it's smaller and in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry.

Laidbackdudeixi
Sep 3, 2012, 8:03 PM
I was just going to ask who's shit list you got yourself on to be sentenced to any time in Bakersfield... Drive out to Palm Springs. You'll find NO SHORTAGE of dudes for dude on dude action.

Jobelorocks
Sep 3, 2012, 8:34 PM
Man, I really don't know what to tell you. I have family out there and most people have trouble finding anything to do, much less trying to find something to do involving the lgbt crowd. Good luck.

12voltman59
Sep 4, 2012, 5:21 PM
I only really know of Bakersfield for a few things----many of the folks who fled the Dust Bowl back in the 1930s wound up there---and the area was generally the setting of "The Grapes of Wrath" and also the setting for a very real, huge murder case back in the late 60s or so---"The Onion Field" case that former LA cop and popular writer Joseph Wambaugh made famous in one of his first books and a movie of the same name.

Bakersfield is also a place that one form of country music came from---with one of its most famous stars being Buck Owens---

I really doubt that its all that a friendly place for those who are GLBT since I think that even today---its rather more rural, with agriculture being one of the main industries out there along with "blue collar" sorts of businesses like metal fabrication shops that do things like make custom hot rod cars and "chopper" motorcycles.

Its kind of redneck as well and is also a hot bed of motorcycle gangs like The Hells Angels and others. I am sure that drugs and drug dealing is big out there too. (the drugs of choice being meth and addiction to prescription meds like Oxycontin and Oxycodone via "pill mill"s and such.

I think you might want to head for places more friendly to gays and Bis like closer into LA Proper or up on towards the San Francisco area.

From what I gather---the Bakersfield area is more akin to what would amount to California's version of Alabama, Mississippi, most of Texas or Oklahoma. (And like a lot of Ohio for that matter)

If you are gonna be out there---good luck to ya---I don't think I would fly a rainbow flag out there, more like a Confederate one!! LOL I don't even know if I would have an Obama/Biden sticker on my car out there!! That's probably enough to get yer ass shot off out that way!! LOL

That there are such areas in California as Bakersfield which are not so "enlightened," "Accepting" and such of things like "queer stuff"--just goes to show that in just about every part of America----you have the parts that are open to sexuality beyond purely heterosexual and many areas that still aren't all that "friendly" to it. Even that bastion of "liberalism" that California is supposed to be----has its "rougher sides."

sexyunit
Sep 4, 2012, 7:50 PM
Thank you.

12voltman59
Sep 4, 2012, 8:54 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news---I am sure there are some good things about life out there---but I have never heard much good about it--I think its kind of one of those places that people, when they are young----can't wait to get out and away from.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 5, 2012, 11:28 PM
LOL Good Luck Hon. I liked 2 hours from Baker's Patch for 30 years, and I gotta tell ya, theres a whole lot of Nuthin' there except Oil Workers and Hookers. And you have to be Very careful around those Oil Boys..they can get pretty mean at times..:(
If you're looking for some fun, look in the Google sites for Gay Establishments for Fresno, and see what comes up. Or head towards L.A. You might find some decent fun there, but I'd be cautious and leary about looking for Bi fun in Bakersfield..
Just my 2 cents, Sweetie.
Cat