PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying phobias

slipnslide
Aug 28, 2012, 3:01 PM
I notice that biphobia and pozphobia are misused a lot lately. Some clarification:

From Merriam-Webster:
------
Definition of PHOBIA: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

------

Based on this definition, biphobia and pozphobia, are being misused in this forum. Avoiding sex with someone with HIV is not an example of being phobic. No psychiatrist will label your behaviour as a phobia anymore than they would for not shaking hands with someone who clearly has the flu.

A phobia is exaggerated. Not visiting the home of someone with HIV for fear of catching it would be phobic. Declining to have sex with them is not phobic because there is a chance something could go wrong. That's a rational concern. That rational concern mitigates risk.

When you see people bandying around -phobia words look closely to see if they're actually misusing it through hyperbole.

SJMurph
Aug 28, 2012, 3:03 PM
Excellent point! Well said.

littlerayofsunshine
Aug 28, 2012, 3:23 PM
I would agree with you, but you'll have to call me Fatty first :shades: *snickers*

Cast Iron
Aug 28, 2012, 4:10 PM
Slip; I was going to post exactly what this thread is about on another the other day. The terms mentioned, along with homophobia, are words used to assuage the guilt of the hard core homosexuals here. The reason I didn't was, unlike you, I will get banned.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 28, 2012, 4:12 PM
we've had this discussion over and over and over and over and over and over... sense a theme? I have that phobia :D

slipnslide
Aug 28, 2012, 4:17 PM
Slip; I was going to post exactly what this thread is about on another the other day. The terms mentioned, along with homophobia, are words used to assuage the guilt of the hard core homosexuals here. The reason I didn't was, unlike you, I will get banned.

I'm not sure what guilt you mean.

SJMurph
Aug 28, 2012, 4:24 PM
No Drugstore, its not that anyone is discriminating against bisexuals, most of us are in that category and accept ourselves very well. Its really a push back for the dumb ass commentary diatribe that you continue to push. You are the only paranoid one here. You are worried about such things as sock puppets and trolls and ghosts and goblins. Your sociopathic perspective is in the minority here. Notice, in the side bar when you are here you are cloaked like those kling-on people. You don't chat in the chat area but hide over here where you lay in wait, for someone to post so that you can jump them then retract to your flea infested nest. There is a difference between a person that is bisexual and a person that is a sinister freak. You are a sinister freak psychologically and socially. You are, as they say, All Hat and No Cattle. You have only one argument that you consistently fail to fill out and that is that everyone on this site, but you and only you, are homophobic, POZphobic etc etc.. You and you alone, are in this category.

SJMurph
Aug 28, 2012, 4:29 PM
Cast Iron,

You cannot get banned unless you are not entertaining. If you are providing interesting and funny content, you facilitate the financial survival of the website. Drugstore's only redeeming attribute is that he masterbates to the banner's and drive revenue by rapid successive dings. If you don't masterbate to the banners, then you'll have to be funnier to get the same benefit.

SJMurph
Aug 28, 2012, 4:37 PM
Drugstore,

Are you kidding with that? You are correct you are not Gay for sure, your just a pure unadulterated dumb ass. And lets not pretend you frikken blow up doll (partner) is a real human. Most people would not agree that a polymer composite inflated ballon is a "partner". Holly crap, where do you get this stuff. You really do have an interesting sense of perspective. And the best part is all that suedo intellectual "I remember the day" nonsense. The only thing you remember is that hobo you paid ten cents to blow back in 1971 down by the railroad tracks. That's when you were pissed off he didn't let you have a swig of his raunchy whiskey after blowing him. Man that was an unappreciative dirty old hobo.

tenni
Aug 28, 2012, 4:44 PM
Slip
As I understand it, you seem to be referring to clinical phobias. The type of phobia that is recognized as disfunctional by such governing bodies of psychiatry. ( Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition is often referred to determine if it is a clinical phobia )

They are a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational. They may be connected to real objects or social situations.

Homophobia, biphobia, Islamaphobia, xenophobia etc. are not clinical phobias but refer to negative attitudes and feelings towards a group with discriminatory prejudical elements. Words such as antipathy , contempt, prejudice , aversion, fear and hatred are words connected to non clinical phobias against groups that are usually minorities within a specific culture. These non clinical phobias may or may not be irrational (imo) up to a certain point when prejudice may overwhelm the reality of the fear etc. Imo even if the fear is rational if it is applied to the entire group, it loses on its validity. When it becomes a contempt, aversion and others the fearful person has lost and moved into a socially disfunctional position but that is just my opinion.

I heard recently from a friend who has a caucasian son living in Japan dating a Japanese woman that her father refers to him as "coloured" demonstrating a fear/contempt, aversion/ hatred/ prejudice towards caucasians. In Japan, caucasians are a minority to the main culture/society. Is this Japanese man phobic to the point of disfunction? I don't know but presently the couple are still together and the father has not rejected out right his daughter and the caucasian man.

Cast Iron
Aug 28, 2012, 4:45 PM
I fucking choked on my waffles reading that. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That is without a doubt, the funniest shit I've read on this site.

Cast Iron
Aug 28, 2012, 4:48 PM
I heard recently from a friend who has a caucasian son living in Japan dating a Japanese woman that her father refers to him as "coloured" demonstrating a fear towards caucasians.

The Japs also have an inate fear of mushroom clouds.

slipnslide
Aug 28, 2012, 4:54 PM
A prejudice and a phobia are not the same. A prejudice is not exaggerated. People may use them interchangeably, but that doesn't mean they're using them correctly.

Thinking the neighbours are against you without reason because of their religion is prejudice.
Refusing to board the airplane because you're convinced the guy you think is Muslim is going to blow up the plane is phobic.

SJMurph
Aug 28, 2012, 4:59 PM
Tenni:

Good point. What's important in you post here in responding to Sips comments, is that while you explain the phobia concept, you didn't condemn the person the person for their views or their perceived phobia. I think you're post was very well articulated and merits a good discussion. Well done.

tenni
Aug 28, 2012, 4:59 PM
Think what you want slip. Prejudice is a negative attitude towards a group applied to all in that group. Behaviour may be a sign/result of a pre juding and not the prejudiced attitude. Prejudice is just one of the words connected to phobia.

SJMurph
Aug 28, 2012, 10:30 PM
Slipnslide, Tenni:

If we could agree on the definition, what does it mean for the discussions for this website. That is, how does understanding that, help understand someone's comments that may be harsh or negative. Does understanding the nuances of these help in dealing with people who are perhaps homophobic or POZaphobic or just prejudice? The heart of the question is rooted in understanding a paradigm one has about bisexuality or different groups.