PDA

View Full Version : at a loss for words

DuckiesDarling
Aug 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
What do you say to someone who has lost not one but two partners to cancer after more than two decades with each? My great uncle, the last surviving member of my paternal grandmother's brothers and sisters, lost his wife to cancer back when I was a young kid. Now, I was just informed that the woman he met and stayed with since a few years after his wife's death has also died to cancer.

My Uncle Tom has been lucky, he loved Aunt Lee and he loved Lucy. I never thought of Lucy as an aunt since there were no marriage ties but it was always a hand in hand kind of invite Uncle Tom and Lucy to baby showers, marriages, divorce parties lol. But it is frustrating to know that he is at the end of his time here as well and not doing well.

He may surprise me and go many more years but I fear he will give up. Off to find something to wear that won't get ruined if the weather turns nasty, they are doing the open casket and funeral all on one day tomorrow.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
Found an outfit that actually fits without being too awful with this fluid hanging on and got a Red Velvet Cake in oven to take to the funeral home, it is a favorite of my Uncle, heck most of the males on that side of family love that cake more than any other so it should be a welcome edition. Mom told me she's picking up a spiral ham and making some rolls to take. That's the nice thing about funerals, there is always the outpouring of support in the form of food and fellowship over food. Lucy would have loved it, she was always the one with the seven layer salad and meat platters to die for at any family gathering.

Jobelorocks
Aug 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I will prayer for healing in your family.

Paddarick69
Aug 17, 2012, 2:38 PM
just tell him ya love him and be there as much as ya can, DD... I went through something similar with me pops fading away and leaving us earlier this year... he hadn't lost his lady but he lost a lot of his marbles to Alzheimer's... it's all part of the Big Show :)

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Aug 17, 2012, 2:43 PM
Big hugs to you, Sweetie. Love him, show youre there for him.
Yer Fave Pussy

can i watch
Aug 17, 2012, 6:58 PM
Hello, I dont know you but my prayers are with you.I have lost loved ones to cancer , but also know many who have survived... hugs xoxo

Rhevan
Aug 17, 2012, 7:03 PM
DD, my friend, I am so sorry. I'll call you in a few.

Rhevan

bityme
Aug 17, 2012, 7:19 PM
All you can say is that you are sorry for his loss, but happy that he had such a wonderful and loving relationship in the time they had together.

Like your uncle, I had 18 years with my first wife before I lost her to cancer, After three bouts with cancer, my second wife passed away 3 days after our 20th anniversary. But life goes on. The pain and heartache fade and only the good times are remembered,

I have now been married for 7 1/2 months to my third wife. Never thought it would be possible, but the Fates have smiled on me and it's actually better than the first two marriages. I have every intention of giving her at least as much time as I did the first two.

Pappy

FunE1
Aug 17, 2012, 8:57 PM
I wish I knew.

I suppose you just say that you're there if he needs you.

Condolences to your Uncle. I hope he can take some comfort in his memories of both your Aunt and Lucy.

Paddarick69
Aug 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
good for you Pappy!

DuckiesDarling
Aug 18, 2012, 1:33 PM
thanks guys, ate way too much at the funeral. Lucy looked awesome, grave was right near the funeral home so we just walked over behind the casket. She has asked that instead of flowers people donate to the American Cancer Society so there were lots of cards detailing donations around rather than big bouquets of lillies and stuff. Uncle Tom is doing about as well as can be expected and enough people have made sure he won't be alone for a few days without totally smothering him.

BigZipper
Aug 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cancer has hit my family hard. My kids have no grandmother as a result and my spouse, a survivor, just went through the ordeal in fact it is still ongoing.

May I suggest that rather then trying to think of something to say offer to listen.