PDA

View Full Version : Helen Gurley Brown, Dead at Age 90, Author of "Sex and the Single Girl"

Brian
Aug 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
A great contributor to the sexual revolution, who greatly empowered women, died today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/business/media/helen-gurley-brown-who-gave-cosmopolitan-its-purr-is-dead-at-90.html?pagewanted=all

As some of you know she was the longtime editor of Cosmopolitan magazine. When I was in college, a buddy of mine said if you want to improve your sex life and understand what women want in bed, then read Cosmo. So I bought a few issues. Damn if he wasn't right.

For changing the world for the better, I thank you.

- Drew :paw:

DuckiesDarling
Aug 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
Wow, I'm a longtime reader of Cosmo and have always admired her. RIP HGB you did a lot to not only advance women's lib but also educate the men in where the G spot is.

pepperjack
Aug 14, 2012, 1:28 AM
Lifelong champion of The Almighty, Billy Graham, also appears to be in decline at 93; probably will pass soon also...but who cares on this site ...right?

Brian
Aug 14, 2012, 2:57 AM
Lifelong champion of The Almighty, Billy Graham, also appears to be in decline at 93; probably will pass soon also...but who cares on this site ...right? Only false gods need prophets, popes, pastors and "champions" (aka televangelists). So yeah, of course I could care less about some televangelist and his mythical claims.

Sheesh, start your own Billy Graham Fan Club thread if you feel he isn't getting the attention he deserves.

odissius2b
Aug 14, 2012, 5:10 AM
Sometimes, I think this group is a just a bunch of pricks (literally and figuratively)..and then I see that one of you had the good sense to acknowledge the passing of Helen Gurley Brown..and I'm impressed. She had an "open marriage"...(something a lot of you have, or wish you had)..long before it was even discussed. Cosmopolitan magazine was (and still is) one of the most read magazines in the world. I can't think of any other woman who has had more of an influence on "women's liberation." She not only thought it was OK for women to say 'fuck'...she thought is was OK them to do it.

darkeyes
Aug 14, 2012, 5:50 AM
Helen Gurley Brown is one of the most influential women of her time and without her and the great feminists she influenced, equality for women would have been far less advanced than it is now. It isn't a name I knew particularly until 1996 when my mum's jaw dropped in amazement and she dug out an old copy of "Sex and a Single Girl" and spent two hours telling my sister and I things we should have known but being young, thoughtless and stupid and too fond of just having a good time, hadn't realised just what a debt all modern women owe her...

Paddarick69
Aug 14, 2012, 9:02 AM
I'll never forget an interview with her in the early 80s wherein she was asked her favorite kink to which she replied bringing a second man into bed with herself and her hubby... peacefully knowing (more or less) I was bisexual since the age of 12 I got an instant erection... until I realized it was Helen Gurley Brown I was fantasizing about! hah! (okayyyy, she wasn't the worst looking woman but hey I was fourteen and she was sixty at the time - cut me some slack)... I've always seen her as less a pioneer and more a herald of the irresistible forces of modernism: freedom, women's freedom, sexual freedom... like all freedom it carries a price tag but over-all the balance sheet is on the positive side... and no matter what ya can't really fight it

pepperjack
Aug 15, 2012, 1:08 AM
Only false gods need prophets, popes, pastors and "champions" (aka televangelists). So yeah, of course I could care less about some televangelist and his mythical claims.

Sheesh, start your own Billy Graham Fan Club thread if you feel he isn't getting the attention he deserves.

False god? Isn't that an oxymoron for an atheist? What would you consider to be a 'true' god?:rolleyes:

dafydd
Aug 15, 2012, 2:48 AM
False god? Isn't that an oxymoron for an atheist? What would you consider to be a 'true' god?:rolleyes:

well its not an oxymoron if you call someone else's god a 'false god'.

Gearbox
Aug 15, 2012, 8:19 AM
well its not an oxymoron if you call someone else's god a 'false god'.
But is if your an atheist. One God can't be falser than another if none exist, and none can be false if none can be genuine.:stoned:

DuckiesDarling
Aug 15, 2012, 8:52 AM
Gee, can we drop the religious rhetoric and get back to the point of the thread? A life is being remembered by people that were touched by her contribution to this world. Pepper, with all due respect BG ain't dead yet and when he does die there will be plenty of people on both Christian websites and here that will note his passing but there was no need to hijack a thread.

can i watch
Aug 15, 2012, 3:30 PM
HGB....such an amazing woman who was DECADES ahead of her time...SHE had her finger on the pulse of the sexual revolution and thankfully shared it with millions !

pepperjack
Aug 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
But is if your an atheist. One God can't be falser than another if none exist, and none can be false if none can be genuine.:stoned:

Thanx, Gear for seeing my point!

pepperjack
Aug 15, 2012, 10:29 PM
Gee, can we drop the religious rhetoric and get back to the point of the thread? A life is being remembered by people that were touched by her contribution to this world. Pepper, with all due respect BG ain't dead yet and when he does die there will be plenty of people on both Christian websites and here that will note his passing but there was no need to hijack a thread.

Did not deliberately hijack a thread; we all make our mental connections & natural deviations occur, which is called spontaneity, difference of opinion; you do it too.

æonpax
Aug 16, 2012, 4:38 AM
In all honesty, I never heard of her except in historical reference and even then, mainly as sexual pioneer. I took a college level class on Influential Women of the 20th Century and she wasn't listed. (I had to look) Nonetheless, she was a titian in her own respect.