PDA

View Full Version : another option for people in monogamous relationships.. rumspringa

Long Duck Dong
Jun 29, 2012, 12:09 AM
I read a article and thought to myself that it could be another option for people in relationships to work with, when seeking to compromise with their partners but retain a aspect of control and stability within the relationship......

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/love-sex/7194502/Can-your-love-survive-a-break

one of the questions for a lot of people can be, " is the grass greener on the other side of the fence " and honestly this can be a good option for people to look at if their relationship / marriage hits the point where things like that question need to be addressed and talking has reached the point where the issue has been talked out and people are still stuck.....

we have two sides to the issue of monogamy the " monogamy or divorce " and the " open relationship or curl up and dead " camps...and while there can never be a compromise between a open relationship and a monogamous one, they are either one or the other.... this can be a way for couples to * test * the waters and see what problems and issues may arise.....

of course, it depends on both partners being able to compromise and reach a agreement, but one more card in the deck for both players to play with, is always better than than no cards at all....

Gearbox
Jun 29, 2012, 7:11 PM
I think it's a better option than just quitting, and as one bloke explained it was an opportunity to court his wife again.
IMO some people get lost in relationships. It can condition you to be somebody you really weren't, or didn't want to be.
A break could shake things up and give both a chance to see where and who they are without the role of partner.

Not just a good idea for an open&closed conflicted relationship, but for all. I think it would be a great idea to pick a month, say October every year to take a break.
But I'd advise discretion if frantically stocking up a MASSIVE amount of condoms throughout the year.LOL!
(You just KNOW some would!:rolleyes:)

æonpax
Jun 30, 2012, 6:50 AM
The classic film, "The Seven Year Itch" comes to mind.

I've been with married men but have always stayed clear of those in troubled marriages. Not interested in a relationship or soul mate.

elian
Jun 30, 2012, 10:47 AM
Yes, 7 years does seem to be a magic number. My mother remarried to a nice guy, an Eagle Scout and all of that - seven years later they divorced. At least according to her they were more like brother and sister than husband and wife. According to my one of my other friends divorce isn't necessarily a bad thing if it fixes a bad situation. I was amazed because I thought it would be vicious, but no - of course there were hurt feelings but it would seem now two years later they have both found someone they like a lot. So it's like 7 years ago they both needed security and stability, but then they both needed something different..

tenni
Jun 30, 2012, 3:39 PM
"a rumspringa is when 16-year-old Amish teenagers have the chance to stray from the fold for two years of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll, then decide whether to come back, or stay permanently hungover like the rest of us."

I am uncertain if it is wise to connect a married couple taking a break from each other as parallel to "rumspringa". Rumspringa has a much more full lifestyle decision beyond sex. The Amish give up most of the worldly mechanisms that we have in the mainstream society. Sex to your own kind or not is only part of the offer given to 16 year old Amish, mennonites.

I am not saying that taking a break in a monogamous marriage is a bad thing either. They just are not really equal in intent and decision making.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 1, 2012, 1:31 AM
its not parallel to rumspringa... but the principal is still the same, what better way to learn about yourself and of the other side of the fence can be like..... and that is the idea behind the article, they merely used something that is similar in nature, so that people have a reference to use

there is more to relationships than just sex,.....people that are relationship / marriage minded, would understand the idea behind the principal.....its more about experiencing the things that they are unsure or not knowledgeable about, in order to make a better informed choice about their lives, their futures and the relationship / marriage.....

it is also not just limited to sex with the same gender, but a type of freedom to experience whatever the person would like to experience......