PDA

View Full Version : Dan Savage calls conservative LGBT group ‘house f*ggots’ over Romney endorsement

æonpax
Jun 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
This morning, the conservative LGBT group GOProud released their entirely expected endorsement of GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney (R-MA) (http://goproud.org/page.aspx?pid=431). Executive Director Jimmy LaSalvia stated as part of their endorsement, “The truth is that gay people are living in the disastrous failed Obama economy too,” and cited Obama’s economic record as the reason for the group’s endorsement.

Sex advice columnist, provocateur and the brains behind the “It Gets Better” anti-bullying project (http://www.itgetsbetter.org/) Dan Savage took immediate exception to the groups endorsement, Tweeting, “The GOP’s house faggots grab their ankles, right on cue: [link (http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/goproud-endorses-romney-light-years-better-than-president-obama/news/2012/06/20/41853)] …. Pathetic.”

While the co-founders of GOProud are by now used to taking heat from more liberal-minded members of the LGBT community, it’s rare that anyone as prominent as Savage has hurled insults like that. Co-founder and current chief strategist Chris Barron, who ended his term as board chair last December amidst a minor scandal (http://www.queerty.com/chris-barron-steps-down-as-goproud-chairman-as-fallout-from-perry-ad-continues-20111215/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+queerty2+%28Queerty%29) involving the outing of a gay member of Gov. Rick Perry’s (R-TX) campaign staff, addressed it on his blog this afternoon (http://therealredbarron.com/2012/06/20/bigot-dan-savage-calls-gay-conservatives-house-faggots/). “Apparently, faggot is an entirely appropriate slur as long as Dan Savage is slinging it and gay people who you don’t agree with are on the receiving end,” he wrote, adding, “It gets better my ass.” ~ http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/20/dan-savage-calls-conservative-lgbt-group-house-fggots-over-romney-endorsement/ ~

`
The more this puke opens his mouth (Savage) the more people are finding out he's really an enemy of the LGBT community.
`
`
`

http://i.imgur.com/OprpG.jpg

darkeyes
Jun 22, 2012, 1:03 PM
I may not like and indeed loathe what another party stands for, and do have difficulty in understanding why gay and bisexual people would support a party which is so virulently anti bi and gay, but to so offend so many people, who for their own reasons have decided to do so, is an affront and Savage, you're right Joan.. he is not our friend and does us immense harm with his bog tactless, insensitive and stupid gob....slagging people of in such an idiotic and crass manner is hardly going to change their minds, likely tor reinforce their decision, and is no substitute for sound argument

jamieknyc
Jun 22, 2012, 1:31 PM
Savage is a columnist, and has to conform to the 'party line' to keep his public reading his column.

Not all LGBT people are Democrats, but the organized LGBT community aggressively brands anyone as a traitor who doesn't support the politicians they have ties to.

tenni
Jun 22, 2012, 3:51 PM
Based on what I have read from the links, this organization has chosen their belief in their understanding of a free market society over the issues of same sex rights and gay rights. One of the releases mentioned that this endorsement was expected. Yet, Savage calls them "house faggots" for supporting a candidate.

Questions arise for me about a group identifying themselves by a minority sexuality placing sexuality as not as significant as an economic issue. Whether Obama has made the US economy worse or the economy was worse before he arrived should be discussed more. What did this organization say about the economy under GW Bush? Did they believe that the economy was not heading in the toilet during Bush? What did this organization say about Bush's position on gay issues?

I am inclined to expect an organization identifying itself as "gay" to work for gay rights. I noticed that it is not exclusively a gay organization but don't know how many heteros are supporting this group using sexuality to justify a Republican political position.

just my opinion.

darkeyes
Jun 22, 2012, 4:50 PM
Like most, my sexuality is only a part of what I am.. it is fundamental but it's not all... it may influence some of what I believe but it does not make me the whole person I am any more than my gender or ethnic origin, the state of my health or the formal education I was given or the city in which I was born. All contribute together with many other factors but I am much much more than my sexuality.. important as it is in its way, it is not reason I hold the major core beliefs I do in economic, social, environmental, conservation, religious or any other belief I hold dear, save 2 a minor degree those beliefs pertinent within and without to my sexuality.. each of us is a whole person.. we may be gay, lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual, but we are all far more than that aspect of us however important we feel that sexuality to be. We hold other beliefs on many other aspects of living and the human condition which are as and more important to some of us, including me, are far more important than who we are able to love, marry or not, shag. We choose political parties and candidates based on the whole not simply one small part of us, and those which and who are closest to what we believe.

To call people traitor because they may vote for a political party which is anti gay or bisexual when that party may represent things which are as or more important to them than what they are may be foolish, but some things are bigger than what any of us.. they are much bigger than who we are.. is it traitorous? Difficult isn't it, when the party or parties which are the alternative hold many other views which should we support them, we can be called equally and even more traitorous for quite different reasons.. hung if u do..hung if u don't.. traitorous to themselves whatever they do.. to others? If so to whom? Good question.. a conundrum indeed...

I have always been quite clear.. I am a member of a political party which represents the closest alternative to my vision of a society and our world which exists in my country.. it is not sufficiently radical or brave yet there is no other better in my opinion.. it is the heart of that party which is important and the prospects for changing it to be closer to how I would like it to be.. if that party ever changed its view on sexuality to that of say, the US Republican Party I could not remain a member, it's heart would be poisoned and changed,and its ethos of inclusivity and equality ended, and while I may support its other policies, I am not a turkey, and turkeys don't vote for Christmas..and therefore not being a turkey I would leave as I did once before, sadly but determined to fight that party on the issue of sexuality wherever and in what way I could. Most things I am happy to stay and fight my corner within that party, but a few things, like sexuality, while it may only be a small part of me, would make it unbearable for me to remain a member and support that party.

We are more than our sexuality, far more and to concentrate on it as our whole being and reason for living twists our view of the world out of kilter.. most of us have a far broader view of the world and to call those of a different political persuasion traitors to the cause of the lgbt ignores our right to be more than lgbt and lessens us as tolerant, understanding and compassionate human beings by not accepting another's right to hold views of the world different from our own... but I will not be responsible for my own demise as a human being with the right to be who and what I am.. some things are too important to support any organisation which holds a fundamental view upon with which we disagree and displays such great intolerance as the Republican party does on the issue of sexuality (gender, religion and race are just three other issues of serious concern, but I concern myself with just the one for the purposes of this post).. however much we may applaud any or all of the rest of its philosophies and policies..

tenni
Jun 22, 2012, 5:15 PM
What you write is true darkeyes. We are more than our sexuality. When I look at this organization's mission statement it states.

"We are the voice of gay conservatives + their straight allies.

GOProud is a national organization of gay and straight Americans who seek to promote freedom by supporting free markets, limited government, and a respect for individual rights. We work on the federal level to build strong coalitions of conservative and libertarian activists, organizations and policy makers to advance our shared values and beliefs."

They identify themselves a a group of gay people who are conservative. If your sexuality is being identified by an organization that you join, then the question is why join? I tend not to support organizations that identify as a group with allies. Allies have their own agenda and how closely does it connect with the group? I know that we differ.

How many straights are in this organization? How many gays? I'd want to know. Why not just be a member of the specific political organization? What is the point of identifying a sexuality if the issues of that sexuality has no significance?
All are questions that I don't get answers from reading their mission statement?

It seems like a con job to me. We are more than our sexuality. When does our political beliefs connect to our sexuality in a free society? It should not matter what sexuality we are if our main focus is another matter.

Gearbox
Jun 22, 2012, 5:20 PM
Gays have the right to support whatever party they want without being ridiculed by a ..(insert dirty swear word here!). Dan (Fek me, am I real?) Savage being the flag waving anti-bullying campaigner extraordinaire as he is, should accept that and just STFU!

I'm sure Dan (just ignore me) Savage is the Antichrist. I can't seem to type his name without dirtying my aura with his vileness.:eek2:

æonpax
Jun 23, 2012, 5:06 AM
Gays have the right to support whatever party they want without being ridiculed by a ..(insert dirty swear word here!). Dan (Fek me, am I real?) Savage being the flag waving anti-bullying campaigner extraordinaire as he is, should accept that and just STFU!

I'm sure Dan (just ignore me) Savage is the Antichrist. I can't seem to type his name without dirtying my aura with his vileness.:eek2:
`

I belong to another forum where it shocked the hell out of a few people that I was liberal but not supporting Obama. They assumed that all liberals are Democrats and therefore must support him...or they are not liberal.

There are those whom also believe all members of the LGBT are liberal and Democrat, therefore, they must support Obama. Sorry to say, it doesn't work that way.

Yesterday, Mary Cheney, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney (and whom Dan Savage referred to as a "useless dyke"), married her longtime partner, Heather Poe. She is Republican and Gay too.

There is this sad assumption amongst certain people, to conform to a groups belief or you are not part of that group. I've seen plenty of examples of such "hive mindedness" from people in this very forum who then turn around and complain about heterosexuals of being intolerant.

Savage, as I stated, is an enemy of all open minded, free spirited homosexuals who refuse to be typecast by their sexual orientation.

Gearbox
Jun 23, 2012, 7:10 AM
I've got this idea that the aims of any LGBT group etc is to help society view LGBT people as JUST people, and change the perceived 'norm' to what 'norm' actually is: Varied as it can get. Basically a wakeup call to society that says, "We as people, are not clones!".

I do believe that. Unfortunately(?), 'just people' are people, and as diversified in ALL aspects of personal views,beliefs,priorities etc as can be. I take that as a WIN for the whole, and a FAIL for cultism!
Mary Cheney's lesbianism is useless to those who'd like it to bind her to certain belief/politics. Much like my theism doesn't bind me to certain beliefs/religions. I can't speak for the happy bride, but I can live with being useless to zealots who think they can claim my support just because I like a bit of cock.:bigrin:

darkeyes
Jun 23, 2012, 2:09 PM
Aeon you're just finally realizing this now, about Dan Savage? LMAO we've known this for decades about Savage! I remember when you completely defended him and his bullying which isn't surprising. http://www.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?12941-Dan-Savage-Points-Out-Hypocrisy-in-the-Bible-Right-Wing-Groups-Spring-Into-Action
The argument is about a specific case.. Joan knows much more about Dan Savage than I do but sometimes, even bullies are accused of bullying when what they do is nothing of the kind... on that specific issue, it was and is arguable... his ranting may have been stupid and was, but bully or not, no one has accused the man of having a great deal of grey matter between the ears or of being a particularly pleasant gadge...

jamieknyc
Jun 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
As I keep saying, Savage has a consituency he has to cater to, and that consituency wants to hear that gays who support the GOP are traitors. Sabage knows where his bread is buttered.

biguy1940
Jun 24, 2012, 5:06 PM
Savage is just the gay equivalent of Glen Beck...if youre not on his team there must be something wrong with you because he has ALL the answers to every situation and anyone who disagrees with him or comes up with facts disproving his theories or lame brained ideas are "traitors"...the only thing missing is the blackboard