PDA

View Full Version : You may want to check out this out--your computer may be at risk

12voltman59
Apr 20, 2012, 4:58 PM
Some people sure do have way too much time on their hands---but apparently some hackers have been hard at work to create more havoc for just about anyone who gets online.

I did this--you actually have to follow a few links potentially and they have links for people in countries all over the world---it leads you to one page that automatically figures out if you are infected or not. If you do, they also provide ways on how to correct your situation.

You may want to consider checking out this site mentioned in the article that the FBI suggests PC users go to make sure their computers are not so infected: http://www.wlwt.com/news/30929770/detail.htm

(http://www.wlwt.com/news/30929770/detail.htm)

void()
Apr 21, 2012, 1:56 AM
"Page not found"

Doubtful of infections here. My external ip serves as our home network's router site. It is split out from a server running CentOs Linux, me and wife use Debian. I think we are probably behind at least three firewalls, that I'm aware.

Also, I use Fprot for anti-virus and regularly run various intrusion detection programs, and use a hosts file which blocks loading of nearly all malware or spam crap on sites. I get internal email via exim, external email clients only take html at my discretion. Do not get attachments. If I don't ask for it, kill file.

And my root user password irks elain. *chuckles* I alternate it out every month, too. Been switching user passwords weekly. Not paranoia, but good computing practices.

12voltman59
Apr 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
How the hell do ya keep track of all those passwords?? I can barely recall what I use from one site to the next and I do admit-I rarely if ever change them. The thing is Void---most people don't take hardly any precautions at all and many don't even use even a basic antivirus program--so there are plenty of people who are susceptible to such invasions of their computers.

nutme
Apr 21, 2012, 4:38 PM
http://www.examiner.com/article/fbi-warns-dnschanger-virus-may-disrupt-internet-service-for-millions-july Hit the link at the bottom of the page; takes only a second.

Gearbox
Apr 21, 2012, 6:00 PM
Call me paranoid, but it sounds like big old phishing scam to me!:eek2:

void()
Apr 21, 2012, 7:50 PM
How the hell do ya keep track of all those passwords?

I use a personal and confidential algorithm.

*pan*
Apr 21, 2012, 7:54 PM
i have to agree with gearbox, i had a guy in my messenger list try to send me to a link to see his photos, when i tried my browser through up a big box telling me it was a phishing site used to steal passwords, i used some protection and running 64 bit nightly fire fox browser with some addons that help but i know almost no computer is 100% secure all can be gotten to, when it does happen to me i just wipe the hard drive then fdisk the mbr and re format it and start with a new system, happens about once a year so thats not bad considering i do lots and i do mean lots of downloads of various things.