Apr 5, 2012, 10:38 AM
Dus this makeya laff?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/05/uteruses-how-do-they-work

**Peg**
Apr 5, 2012, 1:53 PM
nope :2cents:

Jobelorocks
Apr 5, 2012, 2:57 PM
I think that it is silly that some people don't understand the whole conception thing or how contraception works, but I don't like the sarcasm in this article helps. I was raised in an evangelical fundamentalist group who was dead set against the pill, some thought it could cause abortions, but most of understood that was not the case. Now I am a Catholic and of course we all know their stance on contraception, but I obviously don't agree. This quote was offensive to me, "claiming that women taking the pill nonetheless ovulate, inadvertently fertilise their eggs and discard their precious offspring when the demon pill flushes the baby from their magical reproductive system." I really think very few religious people even super conservatives think that the it is a "demon pill" they may see it as something bad to take, but not quite to that level. And also the "magical reproductive system" or the fact that the article says that some think that ovulation is a leftist conspiracy is offensive. Very very very few people think this way about it, even the far right ultra-conservative religious nuts. Also them blatantly knocking a deeply held belief of the virginal conception of Christ. Really? I wouldn't do that in an article to any religious belief. Down-right offensive.

DuckiesDarling
Apr 5, 2012, 9:04 PM
nope :2cents:

+1000000000

Long Duck Dong
Apr 5, 2012, 10:33 PM
ok the author is in a UK based paper, talking about we american women...... the guardian newpaper must *borrowing * articles from the us again cos they can not find anything interesting to write about in the uk lol

that aside, in NZ they generally calculate the start of pregnancy from the day of the last period as its just easier to do so until a ultrasound gives a better idea of how long the lady has been pregnant and the estimated date of birth...... and that is cos some ladies are not sure of when they got pregnant.... and if you have having sex 3 times a week and find you are pregnant 4 weeks later, then its a lil hard to say what one of the last 12 bedroom romps was the one of conception.....

sure ovulation takes place 2 weeks after the period, but that is for a normally ovulating female, some females have irregular periods and ovulation so they use the last day of the last period as a rule of thumb..... but there has been cases of females ( rare ) that have had periods while they were pregnant

its merely a attempt, tho not very well thought out, of applying a rule to all females equally..... and sounds for all intents and purposes, like a female that is using it as a reason to rubbish religion and political leanings cos she is not able to present a well thought out and balanced statement about the law......

darkeyes
Apr 6, 2012, 6:54 AM
ok the author is in a UK based paper, talking about we american women...... the guardian newpaper must *borrowing * articles from the us again cos they can not find anything interesting to write about in the uk lol

that aside, in NZ they generally calculate the start of pregnancy from the day of the last period as its just easier to do so until a ultrasound gives a better idea of how long the lady has been pregnant and the estimated date of birth...... and that is cos some ladies are not sure of when they got pregnant.... and if you have having sex 3 times a week and find you are pregnant 4 weeks later, then its a lil hard to say what one of the last 12 bedroom romps was the one of conception.....

sure ovulation takes place 2 weeks after the period, but that is for a normally ovulating female, some females have irregular periods and ovulation so they use the last day of the last period as a rule of thumb..... but there has been cases of females ( rare ) that have had periods while they were pregnant

its merely a attempt, tho not very well thought out, of applying a rule to all females equally..... and sounds for all intents and purposes, like a female that is using it as a reason to rubbish religion and political leanings cos she is not able to present a well thought out and balanced statement about the law......
Ridicule all u wish, Duckie, but if u or anyone else can't see what the author is saying then I shake my head and wonder just why. I can't say about NZ, but gestation is normally calculated from the date of the last period, not conception.. and due dates regularly amended if necessary throughout the pregnancy. Many women can and do know the very day when conception took place.. many have charts supplied by the NHS as an aid to enable them to know when they are most likely to become pregnant.. and this helps them tie down conception date should they become pregnant. If u read the sting in the tail of the article u can see what the thought is behind the move...

I am sorry if religious peeps have taken offence.. the article is not about those who are religious as such and any remarks about religion are not aimed at most, but those of the religious right who are somewhat wacky in their practice of it and use religion as a bat with which to hit very hard those they wish to whack... forums is full of such discussions as are the pages of the US media, and yes, even the British media at times. We have a fascination with such people in this country and most of us are simply not able to understand such oddity.. yes I do say oddity, because most British people find the American religious right quite simply cranky and in our view in the main, very dangerous and intolerant. Many on this site do too, both Americans and those of other countries. Just as many people in the wider world do, both American and others. The Guardian reports and comments on many things from other countries not simply the US.. as a good quality newspaper should whatever it's political bent.

..and may I ask... since when, sweetie pie, did u become an American woman?

Long Duck Dong
Apr 6, 2012, 8:05 AM
well, fran.... if you read the article carefully, the author writes and I quote " And so it is that we American women find ourselves being told by legislators in Arizona ..."

so nowhere did I say I was a american woman..... if the author of the article you posted, is referring to WE american women, I would assume she was american... and as the guardian is a uk paper then I guess that I assumed that it was a uk newspaper using a american womans article..... I may be wrong tho.... and I am sure that you will tell me that I am..

no doctor I know of, prescribes demon pills, birth control maybe, demon pills..... mmmm maybe a witch doctor does.... but not most medical doctors....

gestation is the term of pregnancy.... conception is required for gestation..... unless the date of conception can be right up to the 39th week of gestation for UK females then the point of conception is the start of gestation. either way, in order to work out the gestation period, they use the last day of the period as the point of conception and therefore the start of the gestation term and project the estimated birth date at 40 weeks from that date but confirm it with a ultrasound..... unless the doctors and midwives lie to their patients on a regular basis.... that must be a UK thing too.....

surely the author could have written a well worded and concise article about the law.... but I am kinda getting used to the fact that intelligent writers are a thing of the past..... and so are UK females that can apologize for misreading and misunderstanding things

darkeyes
Apr 6, 2012, 8:32 AM
Had u used quotes then u would have been quoting, but u did not.. so u said what I say u said.. but no matter... the date of the last period is not used as date of conception and is and can be moved in light of child development in the womb and information provided by the prospective mother. Experience of medical professionals is important in this matter, in part to prevent a pregnancy from going on too long or even not long enough.. things which sometimes do happen.. also for calculating the number of weeks to prevent illegal abortions taking place.. it is this last issue in part which concerns the writer, who is indeed American.

What is well written is something which we can all disagree on.. and I kinda get used to people talking bollox about what is and is not well written..sadly it is something we all have to live with..and usually this depends on our point of view, but not exclusively... there are those we can agree with who are poor with the written word and even the greatest of writers have off days. Whether Megan Carpentier is in either category is in the eye of the beholder.. a very subjective thing indeed.

I did not misread.. so no apology necessary.. nor did I misunderstand.. so none required there either.. I will always apologise if I feel I have something to apologise for Duckie... I have done in forums before and may well need to do so again.. take note.. I will repeat it.. I will apologise when I feel there is something to apologise for... not simply on ur or ne1 elses say so...

DuckiesDarling
Apr 6, 2012, 8:43 AM
Fran the last day of the last menstrual cycle is used to calculate conception, end of story, that's from the mother of three who has been pregnant four times. How many times you been pregnant? This bill is nothing but fear mongering and a push for a reduction in the woman's right to have an abortion. While I personally only agree with abortion in certain cases and not for birth control, I feel if it passes you will simply find woman crossing the state lines to have it in a state that is more receptive to their FEDERAL rights given them by Roe V. Wade.

darkeyes
Apr 6, 2012, 9:39 AM
Fran the last day of the last menstrual cycle is used to calculate conception, end of story, that's from the mother of three who has been pregnant four times. How many times you been pregnant? This bill is nothing but fear mongering and a push for a reduction in the woman's right to have an abortion. While I personally only agree with abortion in certain cases and not for birth control, I feel if it passes you will simply find woman crossing the state lines to have it in a state that is more receptive to their FEDERAL rights given them by Roe V. Wade.
What u say may be the case in the US but it is not so hard and fast here.. no I haven't ever been pregnant but Kate has and twice had her due date changed because of changes in what was considered her conception date.. in this country using the last period is a guide, a useful tool in providing a due date, but is not considered the conception date.. which is why due dates do change. But ur right.. the bill is exactly what u say it is.. and that is the point... women who had been successful at IVF do not have their due date calculated by date of last period but from date of implant.. which is the date of ovulation chosen to aid greatest success.. many other women can tie down the date of conception, especially those who are planning and trying for children and know exactly upon which day conception had to have taken place.. it is not so hard and fast in this country. And neither should it be, which is why this bill is yet another attack on women's rights.. such attacks should be challenged wherever they are made.. there are attacks on the rights of women in this country too, and on abortion rights.. things which men and women everywhere should be and are taking issue..