PDA

View Full Version : Come out at work? Not a good idea according to this US Congressman

12voltman59
Apr 4, 2012, 3:15 PM
This guy is one of the "tea party" type "Conservative" members of the US Congress:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/steve-king-gay-discrimination-_n_1403411.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Just not only read the short article--but open up the video and watch some of his nuggets of wisdom on the vids that come up--good stuff--if you are a tea bagger I guess!

tenni
Apr 4, 2012, 4:15 PM
I think that this is an interesting question. A good section of me thinks why? It shouldn't matter what your sexuality is at work. I don't think that anyone's sexuality or family life should take up a large section of any discussions at work. It might depend upon how others on the job discuss their life away from work. If someone is working at a desk job and has a photo of their family, the same right should extend to a non traditional family (two mommies etc).

A potential employee's sexuality should not matter as he writes but then employers should not discriminate in their hiring practice based on anything beyond skills. However, we all know that employers do discriminate on a lot of factors beyond ethnic, religious, backgrounds including age. It is a tough thing to prove that an employer discriminates based on sexuality.

I don't understand what he is talking about in the video? (health care?)

Jason0012
Apr 4, 2012, 4:40 PM
I agree, there is no need to know anything about ones coworkers sex lives. But how many of us work places where coworkers dont discuss thier personel lives? If gay people have to keep it to themselves so too the straight employees. I don't discuss my personal life at work period. I desperatly wish that the morons I work with would refrain as well. I could live my life quite happily without knowing about the guy who jacks off into his wifes ear, the one who likes to rape drunk women, the one who stalks teenage girls. the one who divorced his wife because she came all over the uphostry........... I work construction and could realy do without hearing what any of these defective individuals do with thier spare time. Despite the urge to rant about the joys of eating pussy while being fucked in the ass I am polite enough to refrain. Then I think I am ranting off topic. How the hell does this relate to employment discrimination? Should I have gotten myself fired or blacklisted for filing complaints against them? Oh wait, that was the point! It's a huge double standard, thats what I was trying to get to.

slipnslide
Apr 4, 2012, 5:38 PM
It's career suicide in a lot of places, if not most. I hear people's sexuality being used as an excuse on why they're a fuck-up at my work. It's totally unfair, but it happens.

Jobelorocks
Apr 4, 2012, 6:31 PM
Only 22 states in the U.S. have discrimination protections in the workplace based on sexual orientation. So in the rest of the states your boss can walk up to you and say I am firing you because you are gay/bi/pan . I don't bring up many issues about my private life at work. It just isn't worth it.+

void()
Apr 4, 2012, 7:29 PM
I have began giving the proceeding counsel more value. Never discuss politics, religion, money or sex in mixed company. Discussing these subjects often debases civility and respect. Without these rational conversation becomes adverse at best.

Work, school, grocery store, barber shop all qualify as mixed company. Lately, it seems this site does as well. :2cents:

Gearbox
Apr 4, 2012, 7:45 PM
What he's saying is that money is power, and he's on the side of elitism for his own careers sake. He's just as much a hoar to the dollar as any, and voting for him will see to it that it stays that way.
He's a politician.;)

innaminka
Apr 4, 2012, 8:22 PM
I've always been of the opinion that someone who doesn't need to know your sexuality, or religion, or menstrual cycle, criminal record or illnesses is simply that: they don't need to know.
It's not hiding one's head, but there are certain details of a person's private life that should be private to the extent of not lying about them, but certainly there is no need to broadcast.

æonpax
Apr 4, 2012, 10:08 PM
`
Coming out at work is a poor idea and serves no useful purpose in the business environment.

darkrainbow
Apr 4, 2012, 10:49 PM
I typically work in a call center environment and everyone there decorates their cubical with pictures of their kids, spouses, pets and so forth. I decorate my cubicle with pictures of my family which consists of my husband and our 2 children along with pictures of our boyfriend, his wife and their 2 kids. I also have pictures of famous people that I like such as the Indigo Girls, Girlyman and Gale Harold (Brian Kinney from Queer As Folk). I have also been known to have a rainbow flag and a drawing of the Spiral Goddess in my workspace. This usually stops coworkers from discussing their marital problems and sex life with me. I have always been out at work but I am lucky to live somewhere where discrimination based on sexual orientation is illegal. I understand that not everybody works in an environment where they can be out at work. This has just been my experience with being out at work.

void()
Apr 5, 2012, 12:30 AM
I've always been of the opinion that someone who doesn't need to know your sexuality, or religion, or menstrual cycle, criminal record or illnesses is simply that: they don't need to know.
It's not hiding one's head, but there are certain details of a person's private life that should be private to the extent of not lying about them, but certainly there is no need to broadcast.

Feel roughly the same. Probably, why I'm not typically seen as 'out'.

Jobelorocks
Apr 5, 2012, 6:25 AM
Actually darkrainbow, Kentucky is not one of the states that have laws protecting people from being discriminated against in the workplace due to sexual orientation. Only 22 states do. Maybe your company has a policy against discrimination based on sexual orientation, but your state does not.

nutme
Apr 5, 2012, 6:38 AM
It's not a subject I care about, but I agree with several here, that you go to work to provide a service for an EMPLOYER and your sexual proclivities are to be kept private. However, isn't an issue like this covered by the Federal gov't and the EEOC or some other tentacle of the vast agencies we have?

Jobelorocks
Apr 5, 2012, 7:07 AM
Nutme, there are no Federal laws with protections against discrimination due to sexual orientation. It is all done state by state, and company by company. Only 22 states (and the District of Colombia) have such protections.

Jason0012
Apr 5, 2012, 8:13 AM
Louisville and lexington have laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation. The rest of Ky doesnt really have much in the way of employment.

æonpax
Apr 5, 2012, 9:25 AM
It's not a subject I care about, but I agree with several here, that you go to work to provide a service for an EMPLOYER and your sexual proclivities are to be kept private. However, isn't an issue like this covered by the Federal gov't and the EEOC or some other tentacle of the vast agencies we have?

I just want to reiterate the factual information given to you by Jobelorocks, to wit;

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) does not enforce the protections that prohibit discrimination and harassment based on sexual orientation, status as a parent, marital status and political affiliation. However, other federal agencies and many states and municipalities do. The relevant federal agencies are listed below. For assistance in locating your state or local agency, contact the EEOC office nearest you. ~ http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-orientation_parent_marital_political.html

Wisconsin, where I live, does ~ http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/discrimination_civil_rights/publication_erd_14266_pweb.htm

void()
Apr 5, 2012, 5:47 PM
Almost 18:00, if I hitch a ride at roughly 4 hours fly time, could be there locally around 20:00 - 20:30 depending on conditions. I love time zones, once stayed awake a week trying to unify them.

Wound up with double days. Muesday, Wursday, Fraturday, Unday because no one really does anything on Unday, or so folks think.

darkeyes
Apr 5, 2012, 8:38 PM
In theory, those that say it is no one's biz at work what our sexuality is are right.. but most peeps are assumed to be heterosexual until, as many, especially those of us who are not in the closet, for one reason or other are discovered to be something else. For those of us who are out, even if we say nothing about our sexuality at work, in time we are likely to be discovered to be whatever we are..

When I worked for the city council as an admin I said nothing until someone did ask if I was lessie or bisexual.. at that time I considered myself bisexual and had just come out of a marriage.. I was was asked cos I was seen canoodling with my then gf on Calton Hill. I was out so I admitted what I was and had no problems from very many at work.. apart from one intolerant old bat.. she always referred to me as "Edinburgh's Disgrace", which she coined thinking it very funny since there is an unfinished folly on top the the hill which is nicknamed just that.

When I began teaching it took about a day for word to get out... again I didn't say anything but the fact that I am married to another woman, something which is on my (supposedly confidential) records at work kind of gave the game away.. just who let slip I have no idea, but it is one of 4 people. Was I angry? Not really.. it was going to come out in any case at some stage. Some things can't be kept confidential and if we are openly gay or bisexual, in time it is almost inevitable we will be found out.. it isn't anyone's biz but our own, but there will always be those who will neb into our lives and carp about us whatever our sexuality for whatever reason. And why should I be ashamed of what I am and who I am married to? Why should I not chat about my family just as other people do at work? About my partner? Most don't care that I am lesbian.. one or two.. but one or two don't like the fact that my head of department is married to an Englishwoman... or that my Rector is a great supporter of the curriculum changes which are creating (from my point of view at least) havoc at work and are going to do nothing (in my view) to benefit kid's education. We can always find something to disapprove of in a person... how we deal with that disapproval and any disagreements we may have is the mark of a decent (or otherwise) human being.

Next month I begin a new job at another school much closer to home... I'm not there till the second half of May but everyone knows I'm on the way, that I'm gay and married and to whom I am married.. how do I know this? Well.. I have a very gobby daughter who loves me and is not ashamed of what her natural mother and I are, with a very gobby best friend and a few very gobby other friends, all of whom we get on with quite famously... a goodly number of kids there know me, more of me, including a number of her ex bf's and her current beau for that matter.. word gets around... my case is a bit of an extreme and prob unusual example, but even if I went into that school totally unknown, in time staff and pupils would find out because I am openly lesbian. It is no-one's biz but mine but why should I have to keep quiet about it? I don't go on about my sexuality but I won't hide it simply because of being at work. It is very different for any who are not yet open to the world about their sexuality... proper discretion and care should mean no one will find out and that certainly is no-one's biz but their own.. we go to work to do a job as best we can to earn a salary and better ourselves as best we can, hopefully in job we enjoy, with real prospects of that betterment.. whether we are open about ourselves or not shouldn't matter and should not be allowed to affect the job we do or, as time passes, our career prospects..

12voltman59
Apr 6, 2012, 3:22 AM
The point of what many on that site who responded spoke of--that they do feel a degree of emotional pain in that with their hetero co-workers---they are free to talk about their opposite gender boyfriends or girlfriends or spouses and other aspects of their lives without any problem, but for those who are gay, lesbian or whatever--they do not have such freedom and that is a kind of sad thing really---it is something that even on this site---so many here look at it as being that case that if GLBT people try to just ask to be able to discuss things like their partner situation or even to be "married"--it is somehow "seeking special rights" and such--and that they also not be beaten up, killed or discriminated against just because of the way they are and chose to live their lives as they either please or would like to is almost like some sort of affront to "normal people."

I do agree in some regards that it is not a wise thing to be openly GLBT in a work place---but the thing is--if we had a truly reasonable, just and equitable society--then it would not be the case that GLBT people would have to remain lessor people and have to bow and scrape for the scraps of freedom that the mainstream society might decide to confer to them--or take away all such rights if the majority so decides to revoke them at some point.

æonpax
Apr 6, 2012, 7:58 AM
The point of what many on that site who responded spoke of--that they do feel a degree of emotional pain in that with their hetero co-workers---they are free to talk about their opposite gender boyfriends or girlfriends or spouses and other aspects of their lives without any problem, but for those who are gay, lesbian or whatever--they do not have such freedom and that is a kind of sad thing really---it is something that even on this site---so many here look at it as being that case that if GLBT people try to just ask to be able to discuss things like their partner situation or even to be "married"--it is somehow "seeking special rights" and such--and that they also not be beaten up, killed or discriminated against just because of the way they are and chose to live their lives as they either please or would like to is almost like some sort of affront to "normal people."

I do agree in some regards that it is not a wise thing to be openly GLBT in a work place---but the thing is--if we had a truly reasonable, just and equitable society--then it would not be the case that GLBT people would have to remain lessor people and have to bow and scrape for the scraps of freedom that the mainstream society might decide to confer to them--or take away all such rights if the majority so decides to revoke them at some point.

In principle, "If this were a perfect world..." but alas, it isn't. An employer has a duty and a responsibility to maintain a work environment that is conclusive to it's goals. Any kind of activity that creates or takes away from that is generally prohibited such as politics and yes, in some cases, "coming out." You are free to do that "off the clock" and off the companies property, such as at a bar after work. There are a plethora of worthy causes that unless they are company sanctioned, like United Way, are just not allowed.

I am an executive officer of the company I work for and have made decisions in the absence of the owner, regarding termination for similar violations like a manager constantly preaching his word and by such conduct interfered with the safe, orderly and efficient operation of the business.

Many open members of the LGBT community have been involved in both politics and business for decades by understanding the legality of employee/employer rights and where being "out" is legitimate. Barney Franks was a U.S. Representative for Massachusetts in congress and was out which their employer allows. Herb Kohl, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin who is retiring this year, is gay but never in his 35 years serving the state, felt the need to come out about it.

My experience has shown me most business people could give a rats ass what you are or believe in, so long as you are a profitable employee. Everyone where I work knows I'm bisexual but it is not an issue anyone really cares about. To me, work is just not the place to make personal statements or proclamations about yourself or your beliefs.

12voltman59
Apr 6, 2012, 11:17 AM
Aeon--I do agree with what ya say about being all over the place about one's sexuality---its not something I care to talk about and let people know back when I considered myself to be totally heterosexual or now that I identify as being bisexual--for me----my sexuality is only a very small part of who and what I am---but the bigger point of what I am trying to get at by having shared this story originally---is that this guy basically is telling anyone who is not purely heterosexual in not so many words as I that---"you are a sick bunch that barely deserve to live, so just surely shut the hell up and also---totally hide who and what you are because it makes the rest of us uncomfortable!"

Now granted---I keep the fact I now identify as being bi, close to the vest and don't disclose it to but a few in the "hetero world" for a number of reasons---and no--I would surely not talk about it with co-workers--any more than I ever talked about my romantic/sexual life when I identified as being completely hetero just because--"my sex life ain't no body's bidness but my own!!!"

It sure did seem though--as being a guy getting older and still single--and didn't date too much as far as they knew--many of them sure as hell were trying to figure out "what was up with me."

When it comes to that Congressman in the OP---I think its pretty clear that he holds very strong negative attitudes towards anyone that he considers might even be "something"---and he has every right to hold those personal feelings--what does concern me with someone in his position--who gets elected to represent the entirety of his constituency, that he and other elected leaders will use their position to enact laws that negatively affect specific groups like GLBT people and not just those in his district, but all over the country. When they do things like that----instead of extending freedom--they actually seek to limit them---because to go along with my tag line below---if some elements of society are not granted their full set of rights---NOT SPECIAL RIGHTS--just to have their rights "limited"-then it really does limit the rights of everyone, whether they think so or not.

The message these sorts do send is---"you play the game the way we tell ya to play it and live life according the way we dictate---and things will be fine for you---we will protect your rights----but if you deviate from that---you are out of luck and might be in some deep do-do to boot for having done so--and we don't have any problem in restricting your rights and freedoms, in fact--we have every intention of doing just that if we can just be allowed to finally have our way!."

This crowd is obviously intent on not just restricting the rights of GLBTs, but of women, minorities of all sorts, and anyone else they see as not being the "proper and deserving people."

shyer
Apr 6, 2012, 12:35 PM
I would never talk about being bisexual with co-workers because of the problems it would cause me,when I'm around male friends at work. but thats just me.

void()
Apr 6, 2012, 2:37 PM
Volty, check out my blog here. There's a link to an interesting article. You might enjoy the read.

Dapper_Fellow
Apr 7, 2012, 1:33 AM
I used to hold the "it's nobody's business, so unless they ask I won't tell" attitude. Well, I began working at a restaurant, and one of my co-workers was gay. For some reason he did not like me at all, and took great pleasure in publicly disseminating my online dating profile to my coworkers as well as making derogatory comments in front of staff and customers about how I was "half a man because I'm bi" and engaging in conversations about his disdain for bisexuality and how it's not a "real" sexual orientation. Well, needless to say the harassment didn't stop, it got to the point where I was having anxiety attacks about going to work. This character had been at the restaurant for 8 years and basically ruled the roost, so I didn't speak up because I needed the job. I worked there for a year and a half and finally quit to do a community theater production, well, this fella was in the show as well, and he actually ended up being a little bit less of a prick after we had to share a dressing room. After the show was over I didn't return to my job, hoping for greener pastures at another restaurant.

Well, I live in a small town, and discrimination strikes from all angles. I found myself working at a restaurant where my coworkers were respectful and friendly, and all seemed well. Unfortunately, the restaurant (a Diner) was popular with the LOCAL locals, the real hardcore conservatives who would habitually (daily that is) describe our president with that most unfortunate epithet. Needless to say, it was only a matter of time before one of these fellows complained that I had disregarded his order and been rude, thus I was promptly canned. Needless to say, I walked on eggshells around these guys, and the incident that this guy complained about was a complete fabrication. Those who have hate will find a way to act it out against you if that is their modus operandi. Whether they are gay coworkers, or straight conservative good old boys, it doesn't matter. A lot of people are bastards, and being in the closet is no protection from that.

Right now I'm fortunate enough to have employers who know my sexuality and respect me for who I am. But that could change tomorrow. I have been through enough rubbish because of trying to save face and "be polite" by being closeted. I simply don't care now. That doesn't mean I wear rainbow pride gear everywhere (or at all), but it does mean that when my coworkers are discussing their lives, I share what's going on with me, only my pronoun use may be different than their expectations. The more we as a population treat our sexuality as a non-issue, the closer we can come to having it actually be a non-issue.

void()
Apr 7, 2012, 7:44 AM
Right now I'm fortunate enough to have employers who know my sexuality and respect me for who I am. But that could change tomorrow. I have been through enough rubbish because of trying to save face and "be polite" by being closeted. I simply don't care now. That doesn't mean I wear rainbow pride gear everywhere (or at all), but it does mean that when my coworkers are discussing their lives, I share what's going on with me, only my pronoun use may be different than their expectations. The more we as a population treat our sexuality as a non-issue, the closer we can come to having it actually be a non-issue.

Thank you for sharing food for thought.

12voltman59
Apr 7, 2012, 11:56 AM
The thing that when it comes to most people these days--when it comes to someone being bi, gay, or whatever--more people pretty much have adopted a "live and let live" attitude about it---what I really think that people like Rep King, Rick Santorum and the rest REALLY HATE, is that most of society has become so accepting and tolerant of non-hetero people in relation to the way they were in the past--and unholy fucking shit!!!!! They cannot stand that for sure---and as such----want to try to move the society's temperature gauge back to where the "average American" once again no longer accepts such "perversion" and if that fails---they have no problem using the power of government to impose upon all of us such intolerance----look at how they get really pissed with big time corporations go and institute programs as a private entity that allow for same-gender partners of employees to be covered by their company provided health care plans and other GLBT friendly policies---such that they do things like propose laws that would undo or prevent PRIVATE companies from doing so---when these same nimrods try to make it so agencies like the EPA cannot regulate things like granting permits for mountaintop removal coal mines or prevent USDA from going in and doing inspections of food processors by either outright denying those agencies from doing so or cutting the budget for their inspector programs like they are now wanting to do for the inspection program for chicken processors by eliminating the funding for and cutting 800 of the inspectors.

Void--I did try to read your blog entry--but was denied access by the site---perhaps its because you have to be a paid member now to have access to the blogs and I have not yet done so--I don't know--wished I could have read it, though.

binow123
Apr 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
I can't add much to what has already been said except you need to be very secure and comfortable in your job or whatever you do "for a living". if you do decide to come out about your sexual preference, be prepared for some surprises. (alot of those suprises you are not going to like) As Walter Cronkite used to say--- "and thats the way it is"!!

elian
Apr 7, 2012, 9:52 PM
The guy is obviously pro-business, he seems to be of the opinion the less government regulation the better.. I agree that typically I don't openly discuss my SEXUALITY at work - but I wonder sometimes if these things come up by accident in the lunch room or as some of you say - pics in a cubicle. I do NOT believe in laissez-faire economic policy for business (can anyone say "mine safety" ?) but I do feel that my sexuality should NOT impact my work. I guess I value my job enough that I don't make a point of doing anything to BROADCAST my sexuality.

Rhevan
Apr 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
I honestly don't believe that is anyone's business about another person's sexuality at work unless your work is sex. There are times when it's not a big deal, there are times it can create a very awkward work environment. There are times that I feel I should not have to explain the picture is my girlfriend rather than a friend, but most of the ones I work with already know I am bisexual but they employ me for my skills as a journalist, not because I happen to be a member of the LGBT. Race, religion, sexuality and gender should have no bearing on whether or not a person meets the criteria for getting and maintaining a job. But reading the original link, it's clear he was just saying if you are worried about it, keep quiet. Just do your job. So I'm torn, part of it seems as if it's wise, the other part of it makes my blood boil.

PeterNZ
Apr 18, 2012, 7:40 PM
I used to hold the "it's nobody's business, so unless they ask I won't tell" attitude. Well, I began working at a restaurant, and one of my co-workers was gay. For some reason he did not like me at all, and took great pleasure in publicly disseminating my online dating profile to my coworkers as well as making derogatory comments in front of staff and customers about how I was "half a man because I'm bi" and engaging in conversations about his disdain for bisexuality and how it's not a "real" sexual orientation. Well, needless to say the harassment didn't stop, it got to the point where I was having anxiety attacks about going to work. This character had been at the restaurant for 8 years and basically ruled the roost, so I didn't speak up because I needed the job. I would have reported that gay bigot to your boss or manager. If he was a boss or manager I would have reported him to someone who is higher up than he is for harassment and bigotry on his part. Some of the most biphobic and bigoted people I have ever met are hypocritical gay men and lesbians. I have never had issues with my sexuality at work but I have the opinion that I am out and if other people do not like me or my sexuality that is their problem.

dafydd
Apr 19, 2012, 7:51 PM
oh gawd and this is the land of the free...

12voltman59
Apr 19, 2012, 8:58 PM
I do agree with the views of most that one's sexuality should not matter at work and is not really something that needs to be disclosed---but the reality of life is that people in the office do wonder about the sexuality of people if they are single and its not clear that they are dating someone of the opposite gender, or engaged. I don't really care for anyone I have ever worked with knowing who I dated, screwed or whatever----but the real point is that it of course should not matter and if a person is openly gay, bi or anything other than heterosexual---it should not matter--only your job performance. Fortunately many large corporations actually have no problem with hiring GLBT people having them serve at all levels---and doing things like extending their partners insurance coverage and such----while you actually have members of Congress--who say that government should but out of all sorts of things that corporations do--who have actually floated putting legislation out there to prohibit enlightened companies from offering their employees such benefits and such and allow them to freely discriminate against GLBT people if they so desire--so I really doubt that King was offering any friendly advise to GLBT people--he was basically saying: "you are sick, disgusting people and you don't deserve anything but a jailcell or death but since we haven't yet gotten to that point again yet--just go back in the closet and keep your damn mouths shut about your faggotry!!"

JP1986UM
Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 PM
good stuff--if you are a tea bagger I guess!

Isn't that like a gay slur or intended to be so?

12voltman59
Apr 20, 2012, 1:33 PM
I guess in ironic sense it is----only because those who tend to be Tea Party members among many things--tend to be homophobic and it is sort of a slam against them using something that they would not like----back when the Tea Party thing got started---Bill Maher and Jon Stewart tended to make fun of the Tea Party types because some of them said they were "tea baggers" and both Maher and Stewart pointed out what the meaning the term "tea bagging" now has attached to it.

When it comes to the Tea Party---just like the Occupy Movement was a response to things each side doesn't like about in politics that are actually very similar---sad to say that if the those in the Tea Party had just stuck with being against the ways that things are messed up---it would have been a pretty good movement--but that so many of them went down the slippery slope of letting out their baser feelings about things like using some very pointed, racially charged words about Barack Obama instead of simply being against him due to his policies or his "ideology" if Obama really has one.

Back in late summer or early fall, 2010, I happened to be up in Columbus (our state capital) for something, and when I was done, I saw that there was a Tea Party rally going on not far from the statehouse. I decided to go check it out since I was interested in what they were about and even though I had heard some bad things about them--decided to give them the benefit of the doubt---so I turned around when I could, got lucky enough to find a place to park relatively close by and walked around their rally a bit.

Oh man--I was shocked at the sorts of signs that many folks had--with depictions of Obama as a monkey and others--and the things that speakers were saying--I almost thought I had stepped into a time and space warp and was in Birmingham, Alabama at a rally of the Klan and some Neo-Nazis back in 1962, not in Columbus, Ohio in late 2010.

Now that was only one such rally by that group, but on the internet---there would be video posted up that people had taken at other Tea Party rallies that were much the same---so I have to say--its for that and other things that I don't have much respect for those who follow that "tea party line" and they have no problem that so many of those who like the Tea Party with their blatant racism, homophobia and many other similar things they express and don't distance themselves from that part of it or denounce it.

Oh yes--there were also a contingent there that were like the Phelps clan that says that "God Hates Fags."

So my use of the term "tea baggers" is only a slur against them since many of them at first did call themselves "tea baggers" until they realized that the term "tea bagging" refers to a form of oral sex among "the perverts," so I don't have a problem using it against them and don't apologize for that--its as much satirical humor as anything and since even though I am not gay--I am closer to gays than I am most of those who are Tea Party types--its just like that so many GLBT people proudly claimed the term "queer" as their own as far as I am concerned.

darkeyes
Apr 20, 2012, 2:16 PM
Tea bag is what I used to call me dad cos his love of Tetley tea.. mum hates tea bags and always makes a pot with tea leaves.. "as it should be.. not clothed but loose like nature intended". Not wot she says 'bout me however..but thats another story... ne way we got tea leaves.. dad his cuppa with a lil bag...

However..talkin' of tea baggers and the Tea Party, u will needless be aware that Ayn Rand is not 1 of me favourite authors.. essential reading for anyone wishing to understand the mentality of selfishness and greed and even more required reading for anyone wishing to have utter contempt for humankind, especially less well off humankind.. .. but not something u would recommend to a nice person of impressionable disposition.. the Guardian printed a blog by George Monbiot early last month (yep.. me knows, Darlin' darlin'.. that paper again!!!!). A fun read with tea bagging and the Tea Party having some prominence... makes me wonder why I am a socialist tbh...;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/05/new-right-ayn-rand-marx

elian
Apr 20, 2012, 4:00 PM
So they want to go back to the "good ol' days" ? I'm sorry but there is no going back now. We can learn to forgive past mistakes, hopefully not repeat the same ones over again but we are all very much more globally connected than we have ever been - free trade agreements, conglomerated world economies.. I don't think we could "go back" even if we wanted to, at least until the trolley finally runs completely off the tracks and brings everything crashing down around it.

When I think of trollies I often go find a nice stream or a tree or something - something with big, blue sky or nice shady pines, or big puffy clouds and I think on just how long the river has been here, how long the trees, and rocks and soil have been here - and I remember that I am connected to things that have been here a very, very long time despite the folly of man.

Do you think that people would have a fit if they realized just how connected we all really are?

scilla08
Apr 20, 2012, 6:46 PM
When I signed up for this job in California their questionnaire asked me if I was Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or heterosexual. I gave them the honest truth and said I was Bisexual, I get a call a month later for a interview, and they asked me why did I answer that questions regardless if it would hurt my chances of getting hired, and I told them "I am me and I am true to myself. Why not put it and save you the hassle when you find out later when one of my co-workers ask if it's true or not." To each their own when it comes to being honest or just private. No judgement here :)

12voltman59
Apr 20, 2012, 7:59 PM
I am surprised that a prospective employer would actually be allowed to ask you what you consider your sexual orientation to be----I know that its clearly illegal to ask a person's marital status.

Jobelorocks
Apr 20, 2012, 8:27 PM
I am surprised that a prospective employer would actually be allowed to ask you what you consider your sexual orientation to be----I know that its clearly illegal to ask a person's marital status.
It depends on state or local laws if an employer can ask you about your sexuality and discriminate against you because of it. To ask someone their sexual identity is not the same as asking their marital status. Also some companies depending on their status can discriminate no matter where they are due to them being a primarily "religious" based one. It makes sense like in Church ministries and such, but some companies abuse and take advantage of this. I heard the Chik-fil-a does this. I don't know how true it is, but that is what I have heard.

12voltman59
Apr 20, 2012, 8:33 PM
I have heard that about Chik-Fil-A and Cracker Barrels too---I wish that Jaime were around--we could ask him about the laws regarding companies and what they can ask when considering job applicants or not.

scilla08
Apr 20, 2012, 8:52 PM
The top 3 industries that go religious are chik-fil-a, in&out and cracker barrel. But in& out is one business kinda shy's away from those who aren't in a religion to hire. Though their main reason is because the original owner of those companies have strong values and God, is one of those values/morals.

Jobelorocks
Apr 20, 2012, 9:16 PM
The top 3 industries that go religious are chik-fil-a, in&out and cracker barrel. But in& out is one business kinda shy's away from those who aren't in a religion to hire. Though their main reason is because the original owner of those companies have strong values and God, is one of those values/morals.
I don't know about the In N' Out thing. I have an gay athiest friend who works at In N' Out in my home town and I think his boyfriend works there as well.

scilla08
Apr 20, 2012, 9:28 PM
I don't know about the In N' Out thing. I have an gay athiest friend who works at In N' Out in my home town and I think his boyfriend works there as well.

Thats really cool. I know the one in Nor-Cal is a bit picky when they come to hire.