PDA

View Full Version : HOUSE APPROVES: Does Kansas Law Legalize Discrimination?

æonpax
Mar 31, 2012, 9:04 AM
"Kansas lawmakers voted overwhelmingly today to pass a bill that opponents say legalizes discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Members of both parties joined together in the House on the 89-27 vote, according (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/mar/28/house-gives-preliminary-ok-bill-supporters-say-pre/) to the Lawrence Journal-World. If the Senate follows suit and Governor Sam Brownback signs the bill, as he has indicted, then anyone could opt out of anti-discrimination laws that protect gays and lesbians by claiming they violate their "religious freedom." source - http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/03/28/HOUSE_APPROVES_Kansas_Law_Legalize_Discrimination/

My observations;

1) This isn't a law YET but could very well be.

2) I predict the DOJ will go after this law right away. States laws do not trump Federal law.

3) This is a perfect example of "Christian Reconstructionism (http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v08n1/chrisre1.html)."

void()
Mar 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
"We did this in your name. You voted for us and it." Not much else I can say, nor to say.

*pan*
Mar 31, 2012, 1:13 PM
what ever happened to the seperation of church and state. what the heck ! how does what i do effect someone else's religion. this is going too far, more government intrusion to the point of facist police state, forget the constitution it's almost all gone. this is what happens in a preventive state.this will also make a class of people without equal constitutional rights. to be denighed equal opertunity to employment and other things because of sexual preference. how stupid.

void()
Mar 31, 2012, 3:22 PM
forget the constitution it's almost all gone.

Is gone, has been since Patriot Act came to exist, probably even before.

pepperjack
Mar 31, 2012, 6:37 PM
"We did this in your name. You voted for us and it." Not much else I can say, nor to say.

Yeah, right, the hard-working Kansas farmers are to blame; at one time we were known as " the breadbasket of Russia." Now we're "fascist" because of state politics.:rolleyes:

pepperjack
Mar 31, 2012, 6:56 PM
My knowledge of Brownback is sketchy but I've seen enough for red flags to have been triggered. This saddens me because it reintroduces Kansas into the negative national spotlight that Fred Phelps & his bunch, also from that part of the state, have started.

DuckiesDarling
Mar 31, 2012, 7:55 PM
I do fully believe it will be struck down the first time someone challenges it in court. It's ironic they recently had a federal housing change that eliminated discriminations based on sexuality and then this comes about.... It's like yin and yang but it sure as hell ain't equal.

Randypan
Mar 31, 2012, 9:04 PM
Colorado tried to do the same thing and it was shot down.

Long Duck Dong
Mar 31, 2012, 10:52 PM
its a interesting issue......

I support the right of people to live and conduct their religion / faith / belief ( within reason ) even if it means aspects of discrimination against others.... as its a aspect of any part of life....... so in a church, they have the right to ask me to vacate the premises or refuse me the right to preach to the church as a witchcraft practising lesbian..... as it can be offensive to their beliefs.....

I also look at it from the point of view that discrimination in a church / faith / belief, happens all the time IE ( believers v's non believers )

but I am curious as to how the law would work.... could a employer remove you from a church / faith / belief place of residence / employment etc cos expression of your sexuality / race / culture etc, conflict with their beliefs.... or cos a person is a disruptive obnoxious person that is causing problems.... and no matter where I look around me, ( forums, the net / public etc ) I see active discrimination going on... IE smokers v's non smokers etc etc.....

to remove the rights of discrimination and / or expression of discrimination... is to deny any person the ability to express any opinion / stance or view that is singling out any other faith / sexuality / culture / race etc etc etc...... and that is why we will never get rid of discrimination...

void()
Mar 31, 2012, 11:41 PM
Yeah, right, the hard-working Kansas farmers are to blame; at one time we were known as " the breadbasket of Russia." Now we're "fascist" because of state politics.http://www.bisexual.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

Moron. The We I referred to was generalized as in We the people. That includes voters in 50 states. I did not point a finger but used a big wide paint brush. But if the buckshot hits your ass, may as well own up to being dumb enough to be caught poking where you don't belong. Idiot.

And yes, I'm name calling. So what?

pepperjack
Apr 1, 2012, 2:58 AM
Moron. The We I referred to was generalized as in We the people. That includes voters in 50 states. I did not point a finger but used a big wide paint brush. But if the buckshot hits your ass, may as well own up to being dumb enough to be caught poking where you don't belong. Idiot.

And yes, I'm name calling. So what?

And yes, you're a poor,dumb, hillbilly. So what?:smilies15

æonpax
Apr 1, 2012, 3:26 AM
Is gone, has been since Patriot Act came to exist, probably even before.
`

You and *pan* are correct. In the name of so-called government "National Security", our rights are being stripped away, little by little. It gets much worse when that same government gets involved with far right wing iinterests, hell bent in setting up a theocracy and corporations who know how to manipulate religion.

æonpax
Apr 1, 2012, 4:09 AM
its a interesting issue......

I support the right of people to live and conduct their religion / faith / belief ( within reason ) even if it means aspects of discrimination against others.... as its a aspect of any part of life....... so in a church, they have the right to ask me to vacate the premises or refuse me the right to preach to the church as a witchcraft practising lesbian..... as it can be offensive to their beliefs.....

I also look at it from the point of view that discrimination in a church / faith / belief, happens all the time IE ( believers v's non believers )

but I am curious as to how the law would work.... could a employer remove you from a church / faith / belief place of residence / employment etc cos expression of your sexuality / race / culture etc, conflict with their beliefs.... or cos a person is a disruptive obnoxious person that is causing problems.... and no matter where I look around me, ( forums, the net / public etc ) I see active discrimination going on... IE smokers v's non smokers etc etc.....

to remove the rights of discrimination and / or expression of discrimination... is to deny any person the ability to express any opinion / stance or view that is singling out any other faith / sexuality / culture / race etc etc etc...... and that is why we will never get rid of discrimination...
`

Here is a copy and summary of the Kansas Preservation of Religious Freedom Act (HB 2384)

http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/measures/documents/hb2384_00_0000.pdf

http://jurist.org/paperchase/2012/03/Kansas-House-approves-controversial-bill-to-strengthen-First-Amendment-rights.php

How this is going to play out, is unknown of course. The bill does have far reaching implications beyond gay rights and if it does pass, will be challenged immediately.

void()
Apr 1, 2012, 8:57 AM
And yes, you're a poor,dumb, hillbilly. So what?:smilies15

No worse than a poor dumb redneck dirt farmer. Dumb ass.

Sorry, forgot something. Void fluctuates loudly. "Kiss for you, dirt farmer."

Long Duck Dong
Apr 1, 2012, 9:25 AM
`

Here is a copy and summary of the Kansas Preservation of Religious Freedom Act (HB 2384)

http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/measures/documents/hb2384_00_0000.pdf

http://jurist.org/paperchase/2012/03/Kansas-House-approves-controversial-bill-to-strengthen-First-Amendment-rights.php

How this is going to play out, is unknown of course. The bill does have far reaching implications beyond gay rights and if it does pass, will be challenged immediately.

cheers for that, aeon... I read the first link about 4 times before i asked DD for her opinion.. cos to me that law fuckin near makes religion near untouchable when it comes to discriminating against people for near any reason.... and yes, definately far reaching beyond LGBT.....

I respect the fact that they are trying to protest religious freedom but it would empower hospitals, schools, places of employment etc etc to discriminate at will......

Brian
Apr 1, 2012, 9:47 AM
Easy on the name-calling. Can't we all just get along?

- Drew :paw:

Gearbox
Apr 1, 2012, 10:35 AM
Surely to God (pun intended) for anything to override laws, to make certain people exempt from certain laws, there must be a FULL inquiry into the reason/s given.
Simply saying "It's against my religion/belief." should NOT be taken as FACT before an inquiry into that claim!

There is sufficient debate whether or not homosexuality/homosexuals are deemed 'Against the teachings of Jesus' to warrant a full investigation of religious texts concerning that claim. And before that takes place, an investigation of those texts coming from a 'higher state of being' should ensue, AND a debate whether that (if true) should effect laws. The WHOLE of religious belief should be examined and weighed up to determine 'Just cause' of prejudice that goes against Human rights, and a Human rights vs religious belief debate should be tackled.

Lets face it! The bill is an aid to execute 'sin cleansing' on behalf of Jesus. If the Christians become the majority in Kansas, gays&lesbians may find it hard to get work there. Also ANY others that don't fit in with Jesus's 'good books'.
Oh the KKK would have loved such a bill.:yikes2:

pepperjack
Apr 1, 2012, 6:20 PM
No worse than a poor dumb redneck dirt farmer. Dumb ass.

Sorry, forgot something. Void fluctuates loudly. "Kiss for you, dirt farmer."

Aw, go hang out at your local laundromat for awhile; maybe it'll calm you down.:smilies15

æonpax
Apr 1, 2012, 7:40 PM
Aw, go hang out at your local laundromat for awhile; maybe it'll calm you down.:smilies15

http://i.imgur.com/0jEo1.jpg

void()
Apr 1, 2012, 8:08 PM

Hell yeah, might even meet a man there, get laid. Wow, sometimes you're a pretty fart smeller. :)

void()
Apr 1, 2012, 8:13 PM
Easy on the name-calling. Can't we all just get along?

- Drew :paw:

Trying to and sorry for being trying, too. Couldn't help myself. Sometimes folks just beg for it as well.

pepperjack
Apr 1, 2012, 9:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0jEo1.jpg

Cute. On a slightly more serious note, read an editorial in today's paper really slamming this particular piece of legislation. The writer expressed hope that it would die in the Senate due to the existence of a coalition of moderate Republicans & Democrats. Apparently, the Catholic Church did an effective job of lobbying for the bill.

dafydd
Apr 2, 2012, 5:47 PM
Trying to and sorry for being trying, too. Couldn't help myself. Sometimes folks just beg for it as well. i thought 'redneck' was a compilment. Ask Dingaling Duck. He was quacking over a cute member 2weeks ago the minute he said he was a 'redneck'. tho i must admit i find them quite sexy too. hey Ding Dong! u remember that fit redneck? how u scared him away with ur grovelling......so sexy

pepperjack
Apr 2, 2012, 10:01 PM
i thought 'redneck' was a compilment. Ask Dingaling Duck. He was quacking over a cute member 2weeks ago the minute he said he was a 'redneck'. tho i must admit i find them quite sexy too. hey Ding Dong! u remember that fit redneck? how u scared him away with ur grovelling......so sexy

Inclined to agree; also perceived it as such 'cause I AM a tough, rugged, earthy sumbitch.:impleased

void()
Apr 3, 2012, 11:26 AM
i thought 'redneck' was a compilment. Ask Dingaling Duck. He was quacking over a cute member 2weeks ago the minute he said he was a 'redneck'. tho i must admit i find them quite sexy too. hey Ding Dong! u remember that fit redneck? how u scared him away with ur grovelling......so sexy

Coming from a hillbilly, it's a disgrace. Thought don't see it mattering much as we both likely been both. Besides he's too thick for paying mind to me. Tsk, his loss.