PDA

View Full Version : computer problem???

shyer
Mar 30, 2012, 2:19 PM
Hi,all I need some help!!!! anyways I bought a new laptop computer 2010 and about a year later my webcam doesn't work. each time I click to use the webcam, computer say's there know file for it on screen. It's an ACER laptop, what happen ?? do I have to up date it??
Thanks really hope someone can help:):):)

**Peg**
Mar 30, 2012, 2:31 PM
Go to the website of the manufacturer of your webcam; see if they have a support forum.

tenni
Mar 30, 2012, 2:34 PM
Drew
It seems like a Canadian problem? maybe Ontario?

void()
Mar 30, 2012, 3:46 PM
Here is Acer's support (http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx) site, I accessed using Canadian English, they have a global front page (http://www.acer.com/worldwide/selection.html) which allows choice. Do you have more details? Knowing it is an Acer laptop is good, but more information is needed before suggesting a means of fixing it. Is it an integrated camera or one that hooks in? Who made the camera? What model is the camera? When was driver software last updated? Using Windows or Linux?

If you are using Linux, may consider using a Dynamic Kernel. This helps avoid a need to remember updating driver software. The Kernel itself when updated will check to see if any driver modules need updating, build and compile them in. Windows auto update may do so as well.

Your new driver software may actually be the problem too. Sometimes newer drivers may have errors in their coding. A good way to avoid this snafu is to wait until the driver software updates twice. The older of the two new updates will be the more stable and error free. The newer the code, more likely the buggier.

Brian
Mar 30, 2012, 3:51 PM
Hi Shyer, I am afraid I am of almost no help on the webcam thing. If it is a built in cam then the Acer website is your best bet. You probably want to find and resinstall the driver file(s) for the webcam. You might also try (in Windows) Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device and Printers (that is for Windows 7 - I think slightly different for XP and Vista.)

Hi Tenni, are you referring to his webcam issue? You might be referring to the Forum thread display issue which affected all threads started by someone who doesn't have an avatar - it is fixed now.

- Drew :paw:

tenni
Mar 30, 2012, 4:44 PM
thanks drew
It was the visibility of Peg, my posts and others. Avatar thread problem..Glad that it is fixed now. :)

It also created a problem sending PM's as they showed as blank too. That is fixed now as well.

welickit
Mar 30, 2012, 6:56 PM
Acer notebooks have a useful utility called Acer Erecovery Management which you can use to reinstall. Goto Start, All Programs, Acer Empowering Technology Acer Erecovery Management.

shyer
Mar 30, 2012, 7:22 PM
Thanks for the help!!! will figure it out.;)

Brian
Mar 30, 2012, 7:31 PM
Thanks for the info Tenni. Glad all is well again.

- Drew :paw: