PDA

View Full Version : My First Time Speaking Publicly About My Sexuality

glantern954
Jun 10, 2006, 9:50 AM
A friend of mine volunteered me to speak with them at a national conference for Florida Social Workers. It was a group of about 25 people in the audience. I was nervous because not only have I never done anything like that before, but I have been busy lately and waited until the night before to prepare what I wanted to say. I quickly read it a couple times at home and was satisfied with it.

At the presentation my friend gave a great introduction about bisexual stereotypes, Kinsey, and Klein. Then the 4 of us did our introductions and then our presentations.

I wasn't expecing it, but during my presentation I got caught up in my emotions when reading the paragraph about how my wife reacted to my sexuality when I came out to her. Tears ran down my face, then down hers. This in turn made me more emotional about other parts of the presentation.

We hadn't originally planned for my wife to speak, but she had read my presentation 45 minutes before show time and was a little embarrassed by my description of her reaction. (Though I do believe her reaction was valid). After my presentation I asked her if she had anything to add and she told her story of a previous negative bisexual experience.

The response we got from the group at the end of my presentation and the entire event was phenomenal. Today I feel really good about something I was petrified to do.

Below I am sharing the presentation with you because I have been asked to do so by a couple people here and at other places. I did add some additional detail in places during delivery, escpecially the introduction, that is not included here. Also keep in mind that it was probably more the delivery that made the connection with people in the room than the actual words on paper.

My name is Mike and I'm a happily married bisexual with no children. I am 38 years old and currently work as a Network Administrator for MJ.

I am out to my wife, my entire family, all of my close friends and a few co-workers. The most rewarding and important thing in my life is my relationship with my wife. I’m not a cheater. I don’t have an open marriage and I don’t consider myself a swinger.

From my personal experiences, if I tell someone I am bisexual I am usually assumed to be a swinger or cheating on my wife if they are straight. If that person is gay I am regularly told right to my face that it is just a phase. Sometimes it is said jokingly other times it is not, either way hurts. With all these assumptions, no wonder so many bisexuals stay closeted, even from their spouses.

Coming out to my wife was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. At that point in my life and our new marriage, I had no desire to act on my bisexuality. It was just something I had finally accepted about myself and thought she should know. I was terrified that she would not understand and leave.

Her first reaction was complete shock, then hysteria, followed by lots of questions and lots of alcohol. The next 24 hours of my life were miserable. As she lay in bed weeping <PAUSE> and getting drunk <PAUSE> and vomiting <PAUSE> I felt guilty for making her feel this way. Thirteen years later and I still sometimes feel guilty for making her insecure about our relationship.

The next day, we spoke some more and she had come to the conclusion that I was still the same guy that she had fell in love with. The only difference was that she now knew me more than anyone else in my life ever had. We have been through a lot together in the 13 years since then. She is here today supporting me and will be available for questions during our Q&A section.

Some of you may be asking yourself, well what made you realize and accept your bisexuality? Well, I had always had occasional same sex fantasies about really fit or exceptional looking guys, but I always just thought it was something that most guys probably experienced. It wasn't until I developed an online crush on another guy that I sat back and really thought that there might be more to my attractions to men than I was letting myself believe.

Now comes the part I’m sure you are all just waiting to hear. The juicy stuff. Yes, I said earlier that I don’t consider myself a swinger, but over the years, at the encouragement of my sweet little heterosexual wife we have had a small handful of experiments. Dirty DIRTY experiments. All in the name of science of course.

We tried to see if my sexuality was something we could incorporate into our relationship. I don’t mean just sex. I mean someone that we both cared about, possibly even loved. A Triad. This Monday, a TV documentary movie on this scenario called Three of Hearts is being shown.

As perfect as this scenario might seem to a bisexual, the couple times we tried to go down this path it only seemed to result in one of us feeling insecure or jealous. As I mentioned earlier, I would rather not act on my bisexuality than risk destroying the most important thing in my life. Is it healthy? I don’t know.

I do know that neither of us is open to the idea of going to swing clubs and getting sexually involved with strangers for a night of empty sexual fun. This might be a more viable option for us if I was more sexually driven or more interested in anal-sex but I am personally just not wired this way. It also turns out that many other bisexual and gay men are also not interested in anal sex.

Although I have a strong preference for vaginal intercourse and seem to bond emotionally more with women, I identify as Bisexual because of my awareness of my physical attraction to some men and the potential to also love them.

I don’t have very many close friends, especially straight male friends and I think part of me desires a masculine bond in my life. But my fear of either becoming attracted to them or them thinking I have a sexual interest in them, or my wife being threatened by that relationship prevents me from even trying.

One of the reasons I volunteered for today’s presentation was to have a chance to share an experience that could help other bisexuals.

A little over three years ago my wife and I decided to go to Gay Day’s in Orlando with my best friend and his boyfriend. Rosina and I went up a few days before the gay events and relaxed at a Disney Resort with all the families. As we relaxed by the pool, I watched the parents and kids playing in the pool and I felt like I didn’t belong.

A couple days later our friends arrived and we transferred to the gay host hotel and went to a couple events and again I felt like I didn’t belong, I felt judged for holding hands with my wife, and there was no obvious sign of any other out bisexual men. I felt like I was the only one in the world.

The night before we were leaving, we were in the lobby on our way out to dinner and my best friend’s boyfriend made a comment along the lines of “bi today gay tomorrow”. My heart sank even lower. When he went upstairs to grab the keys that he had forgotten, I asked my best friend as to how I could possibly be friends with a guy who doesn’t believe I exist.

I do acknowledge that some people do stop at “bi town” on the way to “gay city”. Being gay these days is as much a cultural thing as it is an orientation and I know there are people that identify as gay that have bisexual feelings, but don’t admit them so they can fit in. My “gay” best friend admits to being attracted to some women and desiring sex with women but because he largely prefers men he uses the gay label. I prefer women, but to call myself straight, to me would be a lie.

I arrived home from that trip feeling alone and betrayed. I was also insulted that he would say something like that in front of my wife. How is that supposed to make her feel? Ultimately the lack of bisexual representation at that event caused me to start looking for the bisexual community. I needed to talk to people who understood how I felt and could relate to the things I said.

The best resource I found was a bisexual support and social group at the Ft. Lauderdale GLCC. After a couple meetings I no longer felt alone and Rosina also started coming with me. To this day it is one of the few places I can talk about my sexuality and not feel like I am being judged or questioned.

I still attend this meeting regularly today, not so much because I need to but because I can help others like me know that they are not alone either. I also sometimes fill-in as moderator and have organized things like going out for drinks after each meeting and planning the occasional night out at a club. It is because of this group that I befriended Crystal and how she got me here to speak with you today.

Over the last three years I have seen well over 100 bisexual people come to meetings at the GLCC. One of the biggest things I have learned through that group is that just like any other group of people. We are a very diverse group. Some closely resemble the bisexual stereotype, others couldn’t be further.

It isn’t exactly the bi community I was hoping to find but it’s a start and I feel good about what I have found. Being the only bisexual male willing to come and talk about myself here today is a big disappointment for me. But I do understand how scary public speaking is for people. Especially when speaking about very personal things and giving people a chance to assume things about you.

Things seem to be getting better though. Men in general seem to be becoming more comfortable with showing affection for other men. These days fathers kiss on their sons and straight male friends hug in public. How often did you see these things 10 years ago? I am hopeful that as same-sex relationships become more accepted by our culture more bisexuals will feel comfortable enough to not be ashamed to admit their same sex attractions or feelings and come out too.

Flounder1967
Jun 10, 2006, 9:58 AM
That was very good and I undersand everything. Your speech is very inspiring. I also want to thank you for posting this thread

gentlepen9
Jun 10, 2006, 10:12 AM
It's really encouraging to read something so personal from a the point of view of a guy who's bisexual. Thank you Mike for sharing your story.

NWMtnHawk
Jun 10, 2006, 10:20 AM
BRAVO my couragous gutsy friend! I have to say that in my view of things, it takes an incredible amount of personal courage to put yourself under the microscope of the public eye like that. I admire your courage and salute you. You should be proud, both you and your wife!

jenniferhell@hotmail
Jun 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
thank you for this thred i know what you went through i went through this with my husband i told him before we got married and we are better for it we are best friends its still uncofortable for him but he excepts me for who i am that all we ever want is to be excepted as being bi not in between geing gay(or on the way to being gay and just a phase) its not its the way we were bornits not somthing we chose to be but we except ourselfs as such and live our live the way we need to. so agian for that thred huggs to u :grouphug:

:bipride: jenn

JohnnyV
Jun 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
Kudos on your courage, Mike. Bravo! It was wonderfully written.

I empathize with the way you felt when your best friend's boyfriend made his insensitive remark. I have had hundreds of moments like that with my gay male friends; sometimes I think my relationships with them are so hurtful. But they have this annoyong habit of always being there for me when I need them. So I love them too much as brothers in spirit to break away from them.

The only married bisexual male I've ever known, outside of men who have had a purely sexual interest in me, is the husband of a woman very close to me, and he's extremely guarded. I know of his past and he knows about me, but he won't ever let the two of us be alone for long enough to talk about these issues; it's very sad. He has lots of "guys' events" and conspicuously excludes me, possibly to avoid slipping up and making a reference that might force the issue out into the open.

So I commend you for your courage. In fact, I feel a little embarrassed about my own cowardice. As a professor and scholar I speak publicly nine times a week, in front of audiences who need to hear just the things that you are saying. I have never spoken publicly about my sexuality in such a setting, instead only murmuring about my personal life with close friends, and writing about these issues in an abstract sense, alluding to literature or history as the only way to make them personal.

You've inspired me a great deal.

Love,
J

Rhuth
Jun 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
What questions were posed to your wife during the Q&A? I often feel that my straight husband is doing all the bending to accomodate me for being bi. I don't want to be selfish in my marriage. What does she feel are the best things you have done to accomodate her?

glantern954
Jun 10, 2006, 12:55 PM
Thank you guys for your wonderful responses.

glantern954
Jun 10, 2006, 1:00 PM
We ran short on time so we didn't get to answer LOTS of questions. Much of the feedback she got was support for her being able to "move on" from her previous bad bi experience and accept me as an individual.

My answer to your question is that putting our relationship before my same sex needs is probably the BEST thing I have done to accomodate her.

I will have her answer your question here if you like.

What questions were posed to your wife during the Q&A? I often feel that my straight husband is doing all the bending to accomodate me for being bi. I don't want to be selfish in my marriage. What does she feel are the best things you have done to accomodate her?

glantern954
Jun 10, 2006, 1:07 PM
Her responses were:

Respecting her neurotic insecurties

Encouraging communication

Tolerance of her possesiveness

After her answer I gave her mine and she said that was a good way to sum it all up.

We ran short on time so we didn't get to answer LOTS of questions. Much of the feedback she got was support for her being able to "move on" from her previous bad bi experience and accept me as an individual.

My answer to your question is that putting our relationship before my same sex needs is probably the BEST thing I have done to accomodate her.

I will have her answer your question here if you like.

glantern954
Jun 10, 2006, 1:09 PM
Same here Johnny. Much of my inspiration comes from things I have read at this site.

You've inspired me a great deal.

Love,
J

Rhuth
Jun 10, 2006, 3:45 PM
Thank you, and give her a thank you hug from me please. Now we know the true power ring behind the Green Lantern! ;)

Her responses were:

Respecting her neurotic insecurties

Encouraging communication

Tolerance of her possesiveness

After her answer I gave her mine and she said that was a good way to sum it all up.

Mrs.F
Jun 10, 2006, 3:59 PM
glantern...that was absolutely wonderful! I know tears would have fallen from my eyes also if I had been there. As a straight wife of a bi husband..I know exactly how your wife felt when she found out and I know how much courage it took for you to tell her. And now to take that and talk publicly about it, I think it's wonderful that you stand with your head held high and your wife standing beside you. Thank you for posting that.

Mrs.F :)

littlerayofsunshine
Jun 10, 2006, 8:22 PM
Thank you for posting this from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate you sharing your experience and how honest and heartfelt it was. I truly believe that your story touches most of us, if not us all.

Lorcan
Jun 10, 2006, 9:20 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW!

BRAVO my couragous gutsy friend! I have to say that in my view of things, it takes an incredible amount of personal courage to put yourself under the microscope of the public eye like that. I admire your courage and salute you. You should be proud, both you and your wife!

You said it, NWMtnHawk!

KatieBi
Jun 11, 2006, 7:50 AM
Thank you,thank you Glantern! I certainly admire you both for your awesome bravery and courageous activism as a devoted couple! It is a fine line, trying to balance the need to maintain some kind of "private life" with the ones we love, and the need to break the silence and create visibility for bi people and bi issues.

onewhocares
Jun 11, 2006, 7:51 AM
Michael,

Kudos to you for a well written and timely thread. Feeling a sense of belonging is so important, or more importantly not being excluded for who you are and the feelings you posess. I can agree with your comments about having close relationships with other men, my husband is in the same boat. It is not always easy.

As Mrs. F said, I also am the wife of a bi guy,and it has not always been what I expected. I have found a sense of belonging at this site, a site which I came to for hubby and now stay for me.

Belle

Itsjustme14
Jun 11, 2006, 9:57 AM
Mike,

Thank you for speaking publically, via this forum and your pursuits, and making ME feel like less of an outsider, which I do many times--even on this website.

Feeling extensively alone many times, I have often felt that it I is who might be wrong and just need to toughen up and "be a man", when little things hurt my feelings and/or send me spiraling into depression. Even within the bisexual community it gets difficult, being a religious man as well, I often feel battered by the people whom I try so hard to feel a part of.

It is courageous acts and words from people like you, who make our community, this country and the world realize that we are not alone, making it easier to be strong and have faith in themselves--one person at a time.

Thank you and God Bless

glantern954
Jun 11, 2006, 12:59 PM
Thank You! What has helped me recently is to try and remember that even though most people here share bisexuality as something in common, we all also have many more characteristics that make each of us different from each other.

Being a group makes us stronger and safer, but don't let it take away your pride in your individuality.

Mike,

Thank you for speaking publically, via this forum and your pursuits, and making ME feel like less of an outsider, which I do many times--even on this website.

Feeling extensively alone many times, I have often felt that it I is who might be wrong and just need to toughen up and "be a man", when little things hurt my feelings and/or send me spiraling into depression. Even within the bisexual community it gets difficult, being a religious man as well, I often feel battered by the people whom I try so hard to feel a part of.

It is courageous acts and words from people like you, who make our community, this country and the world realize that we are not alone, making it easier to be strong and have faith in themselves--one person at a time.

Thank you and God Bless

glantern954
Jun 11, 2006, 1:01 PM
These kind of comments in particular make me feel awesome about the entire experience.

As Mrs. F said, I also am the wife of a bi guy,and it has not always been what I expected. I have found a sense of belonging at this site, a site which I came to for hubby and now stay for me. Belle

arana
Jun 11, 2006, 1:10 PM
If this is what you do your first time out, I can just imagine what you'll be like after a few more events. Congratulations to you and to your wife! A supportive counter part can make all the difference.

citystyleguy
Jun 11, 2006, 2:56 PM
bravo! it is difficult to speak in public, it is extremely hard to speak of intimate subjects to anyone else, so to combine both is a true act of courage!

very well expressed!

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 6:09 AM
Well done, a great speech. I'm sorry for all you went through when you told your wife (I thought my (then unofficial) fiancee reacted badly!) but you don't need me to tell you it was well worth it. Your gay friend makes me laugh - a bi guy who says he's gay and there's no such thing as being bi!

glantern954
Jul 5, 2006, 8:03 AM
Last weekend we went out dancing to a gay bar with this couple. The next day my friend called me to tell me that his boyfriend is all upset because he (the guy who said "bi now gay later" ) got a woody while dancing with my wife.

Well done, a great speech. I'm sorry for all you went through when you told your wife (I thought my (then unofficial) fiancee reacted badly!) but you don't need me to tell you it was well worth it. Your gay friend makes me laugh - a bi guy who says he's gay and there's no such thing as being bi!

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 8:11 AM
Last weekend we went out dancing to a gay bar with this couple. The next day my friend called me to tell me that his boyfriend is all upset because he (the guy who said "bi now gay later" ) got a woody while dancing with my wife.

Quality :bigrin:

Azrael
Jul 5, 2006, 10:26 AM
Very well written indeed. I approve. Nothing more fun than being told you don't exist by friends. Been there, done that. :flag1:

creative_ly_inclined
Jul 5, 2006, 10:53 AM
as a new member, this is one of the first topics i have read.

i want to add my thanks for posting this speach, and providing such a strong voice as an inspiration for all of us.

there is a tread in your talk that hasn't been picked up as of yet, or maybe not directly:

you said:
"I am out to my wife, my entire family, all of my close friends and a few co-workers"

i personally have been aware of my bisexuality for 9 or 10 years, and out only to a handful of people until the last 2 years. my spouse, however, was one of the first, and has been my confident for over 8 years.

i often wonder about coming out to my family and to a wider sphere of friends b/c i don't have an active female partner, and think it would be an added pressure on my spouse when there doesn't seem to be something tangible to point to as an example of the loving extention that i see my bisexuality to be. it feels that it easier for people to jump to conclusions about promiscuity and unfaithfulness if there isn't a person to introduce.

does anyone have anything to add about intricacies of the ongoing process of coming out when you have a primary partner?

Avocado
Jul 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
as a new member, this is one of the first topics i have read.

i want to add my thanks for posting this speach, and providing such a strong voice as an inspiration for all of us.

there is a tread in your talk that hasn't been picked up as of yet, or maybe not directly:

you said:
"I am out to my wife, my entire family, all of my close friends and a few co-workers"

i personally have been aware of my bisexuality for 9 or 10 years, and out only to a handful of people until the last 2 years. my spouse, however, was one of the first, and has been my confident for over 8 years.

i often wonder about coming out to my family and to a wider sphere of friends b/c i don't have an active female partner, and think it would be an added pressure on my spouse when there doesn't seem to be something tangible to point to as an example of the loving extention that i see my bisexuality to be. it feels that it easier for people to jump to conclusions about promiscuity and unfaithfulness if there isn't a person to introduce.

does anyone have anything to add about intricacies of the ongoing process of coming out when you have a primary partner?

Just be yourself. You could be single or in a monoganous relationship with either a man or a woman. It doesn't matter, it doesn't make you a cheater, not bi, etc. If there's any misconceptions the best thing is to put them straight.

jedinudist
Jul 5, 2006, 2:19 PM
Much kudos to you and your wife!!!

Herbwoman39
Jul 5, 2006, 11:06 PM
Mike;

My thanks goes out to you and your wife. Having only been out 18 months to my husband, sons and a couple others, you help me remember that my marriage IS the most important thing there is and that hubby and I can make this work.

Please understand, he is VERY supportive, but we are both insecure and it's comforting to see other straight/bi marriages working. If you're ever down around Melbourne maybe the four of us could meet somewhere for lunch. In central Florida there aren't any support groups so we're prettymuch on our own here.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 6, 2006, 2:48 AM
glantern / mike.. and loving partner..... I admire you both

you stood up with your wife and said * you are not a swinger, a cheater or a male whore..... you are a husband, a lover, a friend.... and that you are bisexual *

in those words, you have classed how life is for a married bisexual... and how little bisexuality plays a major role in a bisexuals life and just how open, honest, caring, loving and considerate, most bisexuals are in their relationships and marriages

you are my choice for bisexual.com poster child ....lol...to me you portray bisexuality for what it truely is.....its a sexuality... and only truely raising its head during sex when its most obivious... the rest of the time, bisexuality is placed behind the roles, of parent, provider, friend, etc etc etc

thank you to you and ya wife for the thread, its made awesome reading, along with the other posts in the thread

Nara_lovely
Jul 6, 2006, 6:41 AM
Agreed! Wow...awesome.

Not much else I can say, honestly appreciate you sharing your experience with us too.

glantern954
Jul 6, 2006, 8:18 AM
Thanks again for the wonderful feedback! I have since given this presentation to my brother, who probably understood me less than any other family member. He called me a couple days later in tears to tell me how much he loved me and how he admired my courage. I think that was a big step for him.

When I gave it to my Mom to read and was talking about it, she started to cry a little and came over and kissed me on the cheek and said she would love me know matter what I was. I thought she was talking about some of the bi sterotypes at first, but I think she was trying to say that it was okay if I was really gay.

On one hand it is great to know that she would accept me if I was, on the other hand it sounds like part of her still doesn't understand that it is normal for some people to be bisexual. I might be reading too much into it though.

Brian
Jul 6, 2006, 10:56 AM
Congratulations GL! What a huge and courageous step! Very inspiring. I have a phobia about public speaking, so even standing up and talking about my car is enough to cause uncontrollable sweating. But I think your story is an inspiration to all of us to stand up and be counted each in our own way as best we can.

- Drew :paw:

biandu
Jul 6, 2006, 11:34 AM

LOL

OMFG... that is priceless.

sorry that just made me laugh so hard.

Mike.. thanks for posting. Excellent .. you touched on so many topics w/o any of them being threatening..or putting other beliefs/ideas/etc.. on the defense-
which i'm sure let people open their minds and hearts.. readily--- as none of what you said.. attacked.

More of us should be such an example. thanks again.

littlerayofsunshine
Jul 6, 2006, 11:37 AM
Awe GL this is so great! You are a wonderful person surrounded by love. Your an inspiration and an open and kindhearted person. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. *wiping tears from my eyes*