PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: "More About Me"

Brian
Mar 5, 2012, 8:22 PM
4446By popular request, we have a new feature on the site.

There is now a More About Me field which you can fill out (optional) for your profile. It is a chance to describe yourself in multiple paragraphs without having to use the Personal Ads to do it. It appears under the About Me tab on your User Profile under the heading "More About Me". See the screenshot attached.

To add and edit the information you go to your Control Panel > Edit Profile, and it is at the bottom of the page. Here is a direct link if you want to add the info now: http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

This meets the need of many of you to have a profile where you can describe yourself without having to create a Personal Ad and then saying "Don't reply to this personal ad". Please delete your personal ad if you are doing that now, as it decreases the quality of the ads and must be confusing to those who are searching ads. In my mind Personal Ads should only be for people looking to "meet" in some way with other members, either in person or, by chat or, as pen pals.

Thanks to all who made that suggestion - it was an especially good one.

- Drew :paw:

Brian
Mar 5, 2012, 8:28 PM
ps. Also, when clicking on a user who has no Personal Ad you now will jump direct to their About Me tab rather than Visitor Messages - makes more sense I think.

pps. You have 10,000 character to describe More About Me - so for most of you, no worries that you will hit a wall in the system.

Long Duck Dong
Mar 5, 2012, 8:36 PM
you are spoiling us, drew lol..... many thanks for that......and that should solve the issues with the wanting to have a profile without it appearing as a personal ad

Herculoid Poirot
Mar 5, 2012, 9:26 PM
excellent work, old chap

Herculoid Poirot
Mar 6, 2012, 12:28 AM
do you think it's worthwhile to have an indicator in the 'who's on' sidebar indicating that people have filled out the 'more about me' section?

Dog62
Mar 6, 2012, 12:11 PM
Drew, If you disable the "ad" what happens to your pictures? Can there be a way to attach the pictures to your "About Me" page?

Brian
Mar 6, 2012, 1:34 PM
Drew, ... Can there be a way to attach the pictures to your "About Me" page?

4456Hi Dog,

Not to the "About Me" page directly, but you can have photos associated with all your profile pages without having a personal ad. The system does this in two ways.

1. You get 1 (just one) photo associated with your profile. It is called your "Profile Picture". You upload/change it by going to Control Panel > Edit Profile Picture (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofilepic). It appears in the top left of all your profile pages (no matter what tab is selected) under your username and user title. See screenshot to the right.

2. For more than 1 picture associated to you, but without a personal ad, there is the little used Albums feature... (And I need to improve the way we link to it so more people know about it and can use it). The Album system lets you upload many pictures (up to 20). Once you have an album started it is easy to find and change: you view your own profile, and click on your album (see same screenshot) and then you (only you) will see control buttons to add and delete images.

But here is the thing... if you don`t have an album yet started it can be tricky to find how to create it (stupidly, there is no link from your Control Panel right now - I will try to fix that). You start an album for yourself by going to the Forum page > then mouse over Community > then click on Albums > and then you will see a button to Add Album. See 2nd screenshot to right. Here is a direct link: http://www.bisexual.com/forum/album.php

I hope that helps.

4457- Drew :paw:

Brian
Mar 6, 2012, 1:42 PM
do you think it's worthwhile to have an indicator in the 'who's on' sidebar indicating that people have filled out the 'more about me' section? It is not a bad idea, but we need to be careful how much info we put on the homepage (as it is we are changing the Groups listing to remove a bunch of info) because it bogs the site down - the homepage is the most important page onthe site, but it is also the trickiest for the server to create each time you go there. So I will think about it, but it probably isn't practical.

void()
Mar 7, 2012, 6:00 PM
Void stands outside Drew's window, he peeks in for just a secod, sticks out his tongue and moves along. He is not quite sure why he has chosen to stick his tongue out at Drew, maybe it is just because he could, maybe it is a surrilist and discordian thing ... void wanders on muttering in blips, twirps, whistles and chimes to himself.