PDA

View Full Version : Sighs... Tornado Sirens

DuckiesDarling
Feb 29, 2012, 9:46 AM
I thought I'd like living in town, getting pizza from anyplace delivered. Got used the to the trains, however I am so not used to having tornado sirens going off. There is a huge system moving through the Ohio River Valley today and this is the fourth time the sirens have went off in the past hour and a half. Pray for the people in the affected area, please.

welickit
Feb 29, 2012, 2:00 PM
You will get used to it. I felt the same way when I lived in Kansas. Tornado is a sneaky storm. I would take a blizzard or hurricane any day over a tornado. We are watching the news and praying for those in storms path.

DuckiesDarling
Feb 29, 2012, 8:05 PM
We were lucky here, supposedly two tornadoes hit, one was confirmed an F2, lots of damage and the power was off for quite awhile right here in town, sirens blared all day both the tornado siren and the fire engines and ambulances.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/kentucky-sees-heavy-damage-as-at-least-2-tornadoes-touch-down-few-injuries/2012/02/29/gIQAKvSziR_story.html

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/content/storm-damage-elizabethtown-and-hodgenville

Doggie_Wood
Feb 29, 2012, 8:13 PM
I am currently in the Madison IN area when that weather system blew through. Tornado warning sirens went off - I slept right through it.
I even slept through Hurricane Charley in Aug '04, when it hit Florida.

But I will still pray for those affected by the weather conditions.

Doggie :doggie:

scouthsv
Feb 29, 2012, 8:48 PM
Don't ever get used to them and don't ever sleep through them...complacency in a place prone to tornados will get you and your family burried above ground or blown away...Almost a year later and I can look out my windows and still see the scars and destruction from the Alabama tornados last April.

elian
Feb 29, 2012, 8:56 PM
I've never been in a tornado but I have been in hurricanes and seen hurricane damage before - it's very peculiar how one house can be heavily damaged and the house next to it can still be intact. I imagine the sirens must be pretty aggravating but it's better to know than not know.

The first place I moved into was a trailer park with a train track a mile or two away, a close highway with a traffic light and a dip in the road where tractor trucks would constantly power brake, a furnace with a plenum that would heat up and contract so fast it sounded like a gunshot, a toilet with a leaky flapper valve, the sky above was a popular approach vector for the local airport and every Saturday they had car races about 5 miles down the road, typically with fireworks after the race.

The first week I lived there I don't think I slept for a week, but after a month the only noise I really couldn't deal with was the car racing w/fireworks at 2AM...I seriously thought of going to the races a few times just so that I could join in the "fun" and not just be irritated by it.

Let's hope that soon the tornadoes will pass and you won't hear that siren for a very long time...

pepperjack
Feb 29, 2012, 9:16 PM
Tornado season seems to be getting an early start here this year. Was indulging in small talk yesterday (the weather, natch) with a newspaper editor I work with; I mentioned the approaching tornado season & he told me about their annual " tornado page" which typically comes out mid-March. Last night, the first twister hit the state & the same storm also hit Branson,MO. There's a big bare spot on my front lawn, a sad reminder of a nice shade tree I used to enjoy,along with all the critters it attracted. It was brought down by a tornadic storm passing through a couple of years ago which leveled a good portion of a smaller community just east of here. I slept through that storm with my windows & doors open overnight, completely oblivious to those raging winds until the next morning when my groggy eyes surveyed the damage in the neighborhood. So, yes, you can get used to it....somewhat. Nevertheless, tornadoes remain as one of nature's more unpredictable forces. My younger brother impressed upon me once the aftermath of one which struck a town he worked in. Among the things he saw, a young tree impaled in a car's engine block.

DuckiesDarling
Mar 1, 2012, 6:49 AM
Pepper, it's definitely starting early, we had Tornado Sirens going off in January here but luckily no tornadoes developed until those on the 29th. It was a rather scary day all around when all you can hear are the huge blaring tornado sirens and then the ambulance and fire and police sirens as they raced to the scene to offer aid. We were lucky all in all, it could have been worse. The F2 that hit threw some semi trailers into each other, that place it hit is on the very end of the road I used to live on. With the way the weather is going, I'm pretty sure we are in for one rough tornado season.

DuckiesDarling
Mar 2, 2012, 8:13 AM
More bad weather heading in today, they have cautioned it could be worse than the last system So say a little prayer for those in the path of it, please :)

pepperjack
Mar 2, 2012, 5:46 PM
Been watching the tv coverage all week with the graphic images of destruction. Heard reports awhile ago of a town "completely gone" in Indiana. Conflicting comments by experts that this pattern is unusual. A beautiful day here & arrived home from work to an ironic scene: a neighbor has a tree service at work in his yard as I write this, removing the last of the tree toppled in his front yard, a remnant of the storm I mentioned in my previous post. Gov. Huckabee of Arkansas gave a very compelling interview earlier concerning dealing with these storms.

DuckiesDarling
Mar 2, 2012, 6:31 PM
Yeah, Henryville, IN was pretty much hit hard. Just heard breaking news of a baby brought into a local hospital about three months old, blonde hair blue eyes, searching for the family.

void()
Mar 2, 2012, 7:00 PM
Presently @ 18:57 EST --> gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/groundhog/usa/forecast?wv%208

This is a gopher protocol version of the NOAA reports. A task bar applet in Gnome fetches the same report for users. Currently residing in the forecast zone. News on television is upgrading the watch to warning.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
All of ya'll Please be careful, Darlings. Not much in this world scares me, but tornados DO. :(
Hugs to you all
Cat