PDA

View Full Version : Huff Post: Top Five Questions Asked About Being a Bisexual Minister

Brian
Feb 23, 2012, 7:40 PM
By Rev. Dr. Janet Edwards

I have been ordained as a minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) for 35 years. About 12 years ago, I experienced an awakening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBpw0Tam40Y) -- I realized that the confusing feelings I had had all my adult life came from being bisexual. Through the process of coming out as bi to myself, my loved ones -- husband, teenage sons, brothers, father -- and friends and colleagues in the church, a number of questions have risen to the surface as those most frequently asked...

More... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-dr-janet-edwards/top-five-questions-asked-about-being-a-bisexual-minister_b_1280433.html

Jobelorocks
Feb 23, 2012, 9:19 PM
Got to say I loved that article. Even though I am no minister I am very religious. People who know that I am happily married to a man, very religious, and bisexual ask me questions similar to this all the time.

Gearbox
Feb 23, 2012, 9:40 PM
Good for her! I like the way she expresses how it feels to know yourself better.
Having no manuals popping out the womb with us, it's not something we can be told, but have to discover ourselves. That takes the harshest honesty there is, sometimes. But worth the effort.:)

tiger_M74
Feb 23, 2012, 9:47 PM
Thank you for this, Drew.
Being in ministry calls for being fully human. As long as people serve as ministers and respond to such a calling, there will be a need for us to fully live out our human experience. I think that makes us more prepared and able and open to serve others.

Brian
Feb 23, 2012, 10:14 PM
I agree with the observation that the article/column is a very good read. I was struck how her observations, after coming out as bisexual, resonate with the experiences that so many of us have shared here over the years:
Question 1. Aren't you really a lesbian who can't admit it?
Question 3. How can your husband stand for your confession that you are bisexual?
Question 4. If you're married to a man, why does talking about being bisexual matter? Aren't you just seeking attention?

- Drew :paw:

tenni
Feb 24, 2012, 1:05 PM
I thought that it was a positive article. I liked the part where her husband found comfort that of all the other men or women that she had picked him. That was nice.

However, doubts and questions arouse from reading it. She is a bisexual female living in cross gendered monogamous relationship. That doesn't seem to be too far out of the norm that society expects people to live. See, Johnny, bisexuals are not that bad. They live just like us.

How does living as a bisexual who is not monogamous and having sex with both men and women seen by her "Jesus"?
How does living as a bisexual in a same sex relationship seen by her Jesus?