PDA

View Full Version : Freud's Theory of Innate Bisexuality and Monosexuality

SirLooney4
Feb 19, 2012, 4:50 PM
Okay, I really need help here.

I have been bisexual all my life. However, my attraction for guys has been escalating while my attraction for women has been decreasing to the point where I don't crave them or get turned on by them anymore. I believe I am gay now.

Freud believed that bisexuals would eventually become attracted to exclusively one sex. That describes me exactly! But I don't believe there is any scientific evidence that backs up Freud.

If Freud's theory is true, then that explains why I've gone from bisexual to gay.

But what if it's not true? Then how in the world do you explain what's happened to my sexual orientation? Am I really gay? If so, am I permanently gay? Or am I still bisexual with an extremely strong attraction to men?

Thoughts or comments?

tenni
Feb 19, 2012, 6:13 PM
Hi
You and others who quote Freud would be best to put his ideas aside and not put a lot of credibility to his theories. They have been found to be lacking in credibility years ago by other theorists.

Today, sexual orientation is recognized as a complex interaction of environment, biological and cognitive factors.

You might want to give more credibility to the idea that sexuality can be fluid throughout your lifetime. That may explain your changing interest. It may move from hetero to homosexuality. It may move back to hetero again. Most posters will tell you that you are the only one to make the final decision as to whether you are gay or bisexual. If you are sexually and/or romantically (emotionally) attracted to both gender, hopefully you will accept your bisexuality. You don't have to be attracted to both genders at the same time though.

People who have thought themselves gay for twenty years also may find their sexual attraction changing to opposite gender as well.

Try to relax and accept your bisexuality. Others here will tell you that you don't have to decide either what sexuality that you are. You will pretty much figure that you are not hetero though if attracted to both genders.

SirLooney4
Feb 19, 2012, 6:43 PM
Thanks for your input!

Even though I was born sexually attracted to both genders, I am not emotionally attracted to both genders (biromanticism). I am only romantically attracted to males, which makes me homoromantic. I've never had any romantic feelings for any female in my life because I don't have the capability to.

If my sexual orientation does change again, I just hope my attraction to men does not wane, because being a heterosexual homoromantic would be a serious predicament.

Herculoid Poirot
Feb 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
I went through something very similar recently, and all in a very short time. I can say now that my sexuality has swung back to where it always was, but, although it was scary at first to feel so different than I always have, I know that I could adjust in time if it were to change again.

As tenni says, sexuality is a complex fluid thing.