PDA

View Full Version : Bisexuals endure worse mental health problems and suffer equality gap, report claims

Brian
Feb 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Interesting news item today...

A new report on sexuality groups claims that bisexual people have the worst mental health problems including higher rates of depression, anxiety, self-harm and suicide.

This has been found in the UK and internationally, and is linked to experiences of biphobia and bisexual invisibility.

The report, led by Dr Meg Barker, Senior Lecturer in Psychology at The Open University, found that bisexual people experience biphobia, distinct from homophobia.

[MORE...] (http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory/6946/16/02/2012/bisexuals-endure-worse-mental-health-problems-and-suffer-equality-gap-report-claims.aspx)
http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory/6946/16/02/2012/bisexuals-endure-worse-mental-health-problems-and-suffer-equality-gap-report-claims.aspx

- Drew :paw:

Edit: And the full report on which the article is based is here: http://www8.open.ac.uk/ccig/files/ccig/BisexualityReport_final.pdf

*pan*
Feb 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
hmmm. well i'm not none of them things stated i don't think i am anyway. maby i am the exception lol. is this study done on people who don't accept being bisexual, or are bisexual married and wife knows and accepts it or sneaking around behind everyones back doing it with feelings of guilt and so on. if it is the latter then i can understand why one would have mental problems. there always seems to be a lot of veriables left out in these study's depending on who their trying to please or who the study was done for and what purpose it serves.

*pan*
Feb 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
are these assumptions because unlike people who are out many bisexuals are not out. most of the gays and lesbians i know are out, because they live the life style openly, but people like me that accept their bisexuality yet are not out to everyone about it and keep it on a need to know basis. how would they know how i am or feel. and how many of me are out there not in their statisticts ? be cool to reconize the bisexual community just like the other groups but the question is would i be out even then. my wife nor my family not being interested i feel dose not need the exposure. so why in a world where everyone points fingers, lumps you into stacticial data and judges everyone would i do that ? but then thats just me i guess....

darkeyes
Feb 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
U r such a dope at times Droosy Woosy.. the report was the subject of a post and discussion a while back.. but no doubt ya wer 2 enmeshed in2 upgrading the site really 2 notice so its understandable.....

tenni
Feb 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
This report is similar to the report on Bi Invisibility and previous research results.
www.sf-hrc.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=989

The San Francisco Bi Invisibility report dealt also with the systemic ignoring of bisexuality within LGBT organizations but referred to mental illness and suicide being greater in bisexuals than other minorities. As I understand the San Francisco study there were processes included to deal with the reluctance of some bisexuals from disclosing their sexuality.

As far as Pan's concern about the numbers of bisexuals who are in a cross gender relationship and their partner knows, I suspect that they are suffering less from mental health issues. Based upon some biguys that I have communicated with just because a partner knows your sexuality does not always mean that you will not become depressed. How the partner reacts or is supportive is a factor. Add to that systemic bi invisibility in some LGBT organizations and there may be few resources for such bisexuals to turn to.

I've only read the article and not the British document. Thanks for posting this Drew.

tenni
Feb 16, 2012, 1:31 PM
The report refers to negative stereotype of bisexuals as having to deal with
""Attitudes towards bisexual people were found to be more negative than those towards other minority groups, with them often being stereotyped as promiscuous, incapable of monogamy, a threat to relationships and spreaders of disease."

Instead of these negative stereotypes it may be better for places like bi.com as promoting bisexuals as open and loving without possessiveness, capable of monogamy but may chose to love more than one gender and is loving enough to prevent the spread of disease.

void()
Feb 16, 2012, 4:15 PM
News?

slipnslide
Feb 16, 2012, 7:39 PM
Instead of these negative stereotypes it may be better for places like bi.com as promoting bisexuals as open and loving without possessiveness, capable of monogamy but may chose to love more than one gender and is loving enough to prevent the spread of disease.

Versus strangers in panties, blowing and shaving each other? That kind of negative stereotype? ;)

Sometimes I wonder how bi I really am because this whole idea of biphobia is inconsequential to me. Does anyone here actually experience it? I've had gay guys tell me that they think bi guys are flakes. I rolled my eyes and moved on.

Long Duck Dong
Feb 16, 2012, 8:01 PM
honestly and this is after years of working with people in a counselling and therapy field, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people simply can not handle the bisexual lifestyle..... the constant pulling in two directions at once while they want to just settle down.....

not everybody is able and capable of handling multi sexual relationships and for many of them, they never come to terms with being bisexual, the desires and cravings are there, but not the interest in acting on them... and its not cos of upbringing / religion etc... its cos they are not interested in being with the same / opposite sex.....

its a bit like people that want to have a drink but can not handle alcohol.......

the other aspect is what is causing the mental health issues.... I suffer from a form of depression and PTSD, but neither of them are cos I am bisexual, the ptsd was from military service..... but in studies like what is listed, I would be listed as a bisexual suffering from a mental issue, not a person with a mental illness that is also bisexual

pepperjack
Feb 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Very interesting to me right now agreeing with you two; especially Slip because I seriously clashed with you in the past because of your atheistic beliefs. I've also been questioning my bi desires for several months now;it appears I've lost them since my last encounter with a man and currently only desire women. I like the way I feel...liberated, stronger. Does that mean I was mentally ill while turned on to both sexes? All I know is I've experienced a lot of psychological & emotional turmoil throughout my life trying to figure myself out sexually. So, I feel more calm, relaxed, but I'm also wondering how much of this is sexual apathy and resignation because I am getting older and experiencing age-health-related issues. And then for me also is the spiritual factor because I believe in God and feel a need to account for how I've lived my life. I recently viewed the movie "Ghost" for the umptheenth time and intrinsically believe the end is very much like that. I have my reasons.

slipnslide
Feb 16, 2012, 11:47 PM
I've also been questioning my bi desires for several months now;it appears I've lost them since my last encounter with a man and currently only desire women. I like the way I feel...liberated, stronger. Does that mean I was mentally ill while turned on to both sexes?

That's where I am too these days. I feel good - and less bi. I COMPLETELY understand what you're saying about feeling liberated and stronger. That's an EXCELLENT way of describing how I feel now. Anytime I tell people that I think my bisexuality is a consequence of neurochemistry, and there appears to be a connection between depressed mood, anxiety, and bisexuality for some, I'm told I'm a repressed closet case. But it sounds like you can appreciate what I mean.

So there is a chance that depression and other mental illnesses are not a consequence of living as a bisexual, but that bisexuality is a side-effect of depression and other mental illnesses.

keefer10.7
Feb 17, 2012, 4:28 PM
That's where I am too these days. I feel good - and less bi. I COMPLETELY understand what you're saying about feeling liberated and stronger. That's an EXCELLENT way of describing how I feel now. Anytime I tell people that I think my bisexuality is a consequence of neurochemistry, and there appears to be a connection between depressed mood, anxiety, and bisexuality for some, I'm told I'm a repressed closet case. But it sounds like you can appreciate what I mean.

So there is a chance that depression and other mental illnesses are not a consequence of living as a bisexual, but that bisexuality is a side-effect of depression and other mental illnesses.

Hyper sexuality and risky sexual behaviors are well known with manic/depression. Does this explain everyone away, of course not, but it does explain much.

pepperjack
Feb 17, 2012, 4:43 PM
I think you just hit the proverbial nail on the head, Keefer.

slipnslide
Feb 17, 2012, 5:14 PM
Hyper sexuality and risky sexual behaviors are well known with manic/depression. Does this explain everyone away, of course not, but it does explain much.

For sure. I thought I included "for some" in my reply but it appears I didn't.

tenni
Feb 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
It was my understanding from reading the report that there is no connection between bipolar (manic depression) and bisexuality. There is a report of increased depression amongst bisexuals and more so young bisexual men. Depression on its own is not connected to increased sexual activity as far as I know. That is not the same. It also reports that race, age and other factors impact the health (physical and mental) of bisexuals.

The report indicates that some health professionals connect bisexuality to mental illness whether the bisexual agrees or not even if the bisexual did not seek out help for a mental illness!! It also states that counsellors and doctors are uncomfortable with clients who are bisexuals. Some attempt to convert bisexuals to heterosexuality or gay.(a small number but really..wow! in this day and age)

Sean380
Feb 18, 2012, 1:11 PM
Very true, I am living proof :(

Randypan
Feb 18, 2012, 1:20 PM
My therapist helped me understand that my problems were not from being Bi (She feels that this is a normal state) but having to suppress it for so long. The process of suppressing and or hiding a fundamental part of yourself is extremely damaging. However, in today's world it is still to dangerous to simply be who I am to the world.

slipnslide
Feb 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Very true, I am living proof :(

How so Sean?