PDA

View Full Version : My "gay" music

ezervet
Jun 7, 2006, 5:35 AM
For me, there's some music of mine that i definitely associate with my "gay side". As in, i say to myself "you totally wouldn't listen to this if you were straight." :tongue:

So i was bored, and thought i'd share my very own "gay" music. (a gaylist perhaps? :cutelaugh: ) For me, its anything by Rufus Wainwright, the Magnetic Fields (69 Love Songs=awesome), and the songs i have from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack.

Again, these aren't things that necessarily gay in subject matter or performer (though they are often) but things you self-identify with the gay side of your bisexuality music.

Hmm, looking at this post, this seems as though it may sound incredibly stupid. It happens.

wildangel
Jun 7, 2006, 8:09 AM
Hmm, well I guess as a female my 'I wouldn't listen to this if I was straight' leans more to the gay/bisexual performers anyway- Tegan and Sara, Queen, Ani diFranco, Janis Joplin...Females aren't really taunted for liking Sarah McLachlan and Jewel as males are, though they don't exactly fit into my cd collection of Metallica, Pantera, Kittie, and Deftones very well.

arana
Jun 7, 2006, 10:50 AM
I like such a wide variety of music I don't even know what part of it would be considered "gay". I guess it would depend on the person judging me, aye?
I listen to everything from pop, rock, goth, symphonies and some opera. Old country is the only thing I have a hard time listening to.

Lisa (va)
Jun 7, 2006, 12:15 PM
Though I don't consider the music gay (or otherwise), but my hubby once told me it was - Disco. Now certainly not all of it is good, but much have an upbeat tune to them, and I love to dance. We have a party boat that goes on cruises on the lake that play that type of music and seems like all there are having a marvelous time. Thus maybe Disco is gay (gay does mean happy).

Lisa

hugs n kisses

littlerayofsunshine
Jun 7, 2006, 1:34 PM
I don't have any gay/straight music. I listen to music of all kinds, but relish ones with a message and personal meaning.

For instance right now I greatly enjoy the song "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. Here are the Lyrics (http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Natasha-Bedingfield/Unwritten.html)

bigdaddyden59
Jun 7, 2006, 6:32 PM
Gay Music...hmmmm....

There are artists that I associate with gayness. I'm not saying it's a bad thing...It's just word association. Like when somebody says John Wayne you think cowboy. When I hear the following artists, I think gay.

The Village People are the first to come to mind. YMCA...Need I say more.

Freddie Mercury & Queen...an awesome, awesome band. I saw them live way back in the 80's... Freddie was a stage presence. He commanded your attention. God he was good.

David Bowie...I like alot of his music, in my younger days I was a drummer in a band and we used to do a whole block of Bowie...Blue Jean, Suffergette City, Hang On To Yourself, Ziggy, China Girl, Cracked Actor, Diamond Dogs...there was more but I can't remember them now...I've burnt too many brain cells between then and now.

Prince...Don't know why...Maybe it was the purple french cuffed jacket.

Joni Mitchell...cause alot of my gay friends used to get stoned and listen to "Miles of Aisles" every time it rained.

Alot of the New Wave bands of the 80's...again, cause that's mostly what my gay friends were listening to. I liked some of it also. I was more into hard rock,...,you know...head bangin' material...bein' a drummer and all...

jamiehue
Jun 7, 2006, 6:48 PM
The brokeback mtn soundtrack is very good the emmylou harris song is ...itAs for everything else i love to go into the local club and sabotage the jukebox gets the girls dancin the guy just keep playin pool

Contee
Jun 7, 2006, 11:54 PM
Rufus Wainwright makes me melt...

Some of my favourites are Gay Messiah, Go or Go Ahead and Vibrate.

Gay Mesiah is the perfect song - I could listen to it all day forever. Go or Go Ahead contains my favourite elements of Radiohead and Pink Floyd songs. And Vibrate... only Rufus could sing a love song about changing the settings on your mobile phone.

DiamondDog
Jun 8, 2006, 12:14 AM
all of my "gay" music is music that a mixed crowd LGBT bar I went to in college played.

Depending on who the bartender was you'd hear everything from: Remixed rap/hip hop, disco (Donna Summer!), Madonna, top 10 dance music, classic rock, and remixed disco.