PDA

View Full Version : This is an explanation (of This Is An Experiment) part 1

dafydd
Feb 8, 2012, 12:17 AM
Right. A follow up to my rather bizarre 'experiment' post over a week ago entitled'This is an Experiment' (http://www.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?12460-This-is-an-Experiment)
This is a really really long post, (2parts because i did not have time to finish it all tonight) It is not me just waffling for no reason, and is intended mainly only for those interested in the original. I tried to condense my thoughts but I wanted to explain exactly what led me to write the post This Is An Experiment. If you're easily bored by having to sit through holiday snaps or hearing about what dream someone's had, you may want to skip this thread. If you think its just the usual Dafydd self-indulgent psychoanalysis, you know me too well, for it is. Be grateful for the back button on your browser and hit it NOW.
----0----

One of the things I have always struggled with is how my homosexuality sits alongside my heterosexuality. Some of you may know how I came into bisexual.com, identifying as a gay man who felt things didn't feel quite right within his sense of self re: sexuality. In some ways I didn't believe that my sexual feeling towards both sexes could be authenticate. I had known heterosexuals who had explored their homosexual desires but no experience of the other way round.
That was 5 years ago and of course in between I have redefined my definition of what being bisexual means to me in terms of emotional, social and sexual aspects. Im not a fan of the Kinsey scale, and I don't understand the idea that bisexuals 'have more choice' just because they like men *and* women. I don't want sex with a generic male or female form, but with the person. In that sense, my choice is limited to the type of people I like. The more specific the type, the less choice I have in finding them. So when people say bisexuals have more choice to me they are assuming that it is simply the default male and/or female physical attributes that bisexuals find attractive.
Surelt in that sense maybe it is more accurate to say that male bisexuals have more choice, because men are perhaps more able to have sex with default faceless bodies than women. perhaps not. anyway the 'more choice' rhetoric also hints at a more intriguing premise for me to explore.
Is my bisexuality really added value? 2 for the price of 1. hetero attraction + homo attraction = more attraction and/or bisexuality

What I’m trying to say is I do not know whether my bisexuality is really the unit addition of heterosexuality and homosexuality, or whether it is formed by mixing the two (rather like mixing 2 colour paints together for the result of making a different shade, not to get a greater volume of paint.)

And if so, do I lose the original memories of those two colour. Am I no longer gay because of it? The teenager, withing me might ask am I no longer straight?

Lately there seems to have been a number of posts whose topics include 'Bi and Gay', 'Biphobia the Gay Side', 'Lesbians and Gay Men Who Don't Date Bisexuals'

I couldn't understand how bisexuals could talk about gay people with such distance, in some cases enacting homophobia in their generalisations. Surely they would understand homophobia too and be more aware of their own criticisms or judgements made about same-sex desire. The word 'gay' may have been used to describe an identity rather than a desire in those discussions but still why was there such a dividing line between biphobia and homophobia?

My theory: If bisexuality was personally defined as a mixture of sexual feelings so intertwined that some original parts e.g homo/hetere could no longer could be indentified as individual distinct elements of desire, it might make sense that people would find it hard to empathise with the purely homosexual mind or the purely heterosexual one and go on to further 'other' those gays and straight as not like themselves.

I realised that I couldn't assume everyone defined their bisexuality the same way e.g. maybe it was possible to regard same-sex sexual activity in ones own mind without feeling it was 'homosexual' activity.

And so I wanted to force the identification with one of those two ideas. Another analogy: it was the difference between thinking of bisexuality as a bowl of M&Ms (you can still see the individual colorerd sweets that make up the bowl) or a pan of melted M&Ms (the colours combine, the elements fuse together, to form something completely unlike the original components). Not a good analogy if you've ever melted M&M's and seen what they turn into.

So before I could open up discussion of bisexual homophobia I wanted to understand idenitifcation with homosexuality.

Shortly after I posted I noticed something that to me was truly astonishing. It had nothing to do with the information I was seeking (I quickly realised that no trends could be identified on such a small scale, and my original bit of research had gotten so complicated for me it would have made more sense to just tease it out in a post about the real issue that was bothering me: homophobia on the site). What I did notice however in the response to the question made me question the nature of my own uneasy need to define my own personal bisexuality.

Despite being labelled as a hypothetical experiment, with clear instructions to choose only 1 generic statement, some members wouldn't respond due to principal, and indeed found the whole affair rather uncomfortable. I did too! The post looked very uncomfortable to me, and the whiff of trying to dumb down bisexuality by forcing identification with generic ideas reeked from the first post. I wanted to say desperately why I was doing it but didn't want to influence people who thought I would just take a pop at them if they didnt embrace their homosexuality. So precious was I about my own 'fluid' definition of sexuality that I couldn't even stand people to think that I was someone who needed to define others!

Side note: This 'protection' I had of my own open-minded fluidity was the main reason I took so long to follow up. I wanted to see if I could sit long enough without replying - to live with the thought that members might see me as a 'pigeon-hole whisperer', and a man who needed to fit the world into very tight barriers of labelling (It's one of my fears in life that I'm regarded as close-minded). So in that sense, it became a bit like a CBT session in real time...and the realisation of the fear whilst uncomfortable, and weighed on my mind, wasn't that bad at all...until Void posted his prematurely critical though absolutely right-on and thoughtful moan, and I knew it was time.)

So why would some people:
a) refuse to choose or
b) respond by giving a completely new definition entirely, (despite the clear instructions that they had to choose one or the other)
c) feel as though they had to explain themselves (partly my fault for encouraging explanation and not insisting on simply listing a 1 or 2 - though at that time i had no idea it would go like this)

Could bisexuality be in some ways more inflexible and rigid in self-thought than it was promoted as? Was it a fluid notion but only in so far as the fluid had space in any one mind to flow?

continued in part 2 later

Long Duck Dong
Feb 8, 2012, 1:41 AM
I enjoyed your experiment as it made me think... and thinking about myself, is something that is very important to me....
its due to the depression and the PTSD I have... and cos I was in the military, my own inability to integrate back into society so I *study * people closely

yeah I thought about using a new definition but the issue there was why did I want to use a new definition and what would it be... finally I came to the point of admitting that it would be two spirited as there is a clear heterosexual / homosexual nature to me, as opposed to a bisexual one, and I come to that opinion by way of the different ways I can be with and feel towards a male as opposed to a female.... instead of equally and unchanging feelings and mannerisms, that most people would expect from a bisexual person.....

now it is making me question if I am two spirited more than bisexual..... the defining factor being the dual aspects to me as a person as opposed to a singular persona...... and I think the same is yes..... I can and do think as a male and as a female, rather than just a male

elian
Feb 8, 2012, 6:04 AM
Well, I've always wondered why I say "bisexual" with some resignation..I still feel like I ought to be able to identify as either gay or straight..but surely that has more to do with inertia and a lack of the proper attitude. At this point in my life having to deal with labels just complicates things, so I really need to take the "love who you will" idea to heart. "Bisexual" label is sort of like me saying "God" - It's the shortest way for me to convey there general idea of what I believe to others but it certainly isn't a perfect definition. Could spend a whole heap of time trying to describe what it EXACTLY means to me, but why should I? I've already spent so much energy on this growing up trying to please others. I'm very close to not really caring about having to define my personal motivation to society - it's not like anyone is asking and thank goodness we seem to be in a time when LGBT folks are enjoying more social progress.

darkeyes
Feb 8, 2012, 7:44 AM
Daffy.. not being bisexual I thought to responding to your little experiment but decided not to because I didnt want to confuse the issue. I'm quite good at confusing issues..

When I considered myself bisexual first, and then became active, for a very long time I didnt question it, or try and analyse it.. I liked sex, and I liked people, and when there were people about I fancied I would have sex... it was very simple to me. In a sense it is something which has never quite left me even although I am no longer bisexual.. I still like sex and even if I no longer sleep around willy nilly, I know who gets me hot and I dream wistfully of fulfilling those desires..

I used to listen to lesbian, gay and bisexual people analzyse their own and others sexuality in very mysterious ways.. oten in very pompous and dogmatic ways and it was something I never quite understood.. still don't entirely because I was who I was and all that angst about themselves and arrogance about others always sat uneasily.. it still does... yet as I rolled into my 20s got married I began to question myself in just the same way as I had heard all those rather, what seemed to me, self obsessed people when I was younger. To some extent, removing myself from the active world of bisexuality during my marriage may have had something to do with that.. it sort of sneaked up on me and now while I am still not as questioning of why in quite the way so may others are, I do question why I am but it comes down to this in my case..

..I am easy with myself, am confident and self believing.. I look at the world and actually do find it dificult to understand why homophobia, biphobia, transphobia and even heterophobia exists.. people are people and I am me..I understand that these phobias exist and intellectually the reasons why, but my mind is unable to quite grasp the concept because inside of me having such phobias is such an alien thing.. I try to put myself in the mind of someone with such a phobia and it just turns in a blank sheet of paper.. I dont even have a phobia about spiders...

There are those that believe we are all bisexual and once I fell into this category.. that I no longer believe it does not mean I do not think that we do not have homosexual or heterosexual tendencies. I do believe everyone does, but mostly these are to do with the social mores of a society, and to do with gender rather than sex... I have many men friends for instance and dress very femininely and do like the genders to look and dress as what they are.. I am much less physically aggressive but yes, rather gobby.. but I prefer the company of women.. in many ways I am the stereotypical heterosexual woman... I look like one, act like one and I like to live comfortably and be spoilt, I like my home just so and to look as if it has the feminine touch and is ordered, decorated and furnished accordingly, and now I adore our children and act with them as a mother should... I like the best of everything and what money can buy.. I dont like cars very much and see them as just something to get me from A to B.. I am incredibly impatient with prevarication and dont suffers fools too well.. but I love football, go along to Tynecastle as often as I am able and have followed club and country to pastures across europe, which are I think much more very masculine traits... and when I go visit me mum's family in Salford I pop along and take in Rugby League matches.. not a very feminine sport at all..

I don't really think too deeply as to the why's and wherefore's for the most part... my homosexuality is a part of me and I cant and won't lose it.. it just is...my heterosexuality also such as it is, just is.. to analyse and angst about why is but an interest but it doesnt really interest me much personally except inasmuch is we should know something about it for when it raises its ugly head in the world at large... when progressing rights and fighting the phobias of those who care not or us.. even the homophobia of those who themselves are at least in part by inclination, desire and/or activity, homosexual, as all bisexuals are.. and those who by inclination on this site and elsewhere are themselves biphobic or as in some cases, heterophobic and for that matter transphobic...

I am much too comfortable with myself, the whole self, not simply that of my sexuality, to truly understand those that are not, Daffy. Truly I wish every1 else was too, but still I try and understand why people have such confusion and seem so uncertain.. and what u posted here so far has helped me in some way to understand at least some of it. and question others.. and I thank u for that.. I've tried to provide what you want and that it is in some small way a help.. am not quite sure it is what u want, and as there is apparently more to come I will leave it at that for now...it's what u've got anyway. ...

Herculoid Poirot
Feb 8, 2012, 8:55 AM
When I first looked up the word bisexual in the dictionary (a looooooooooooong time ago) it was quite a magical moment for me as it was the first time that i saw my exact sense of self put into print, albeit in a rather dry and analytical way. For me, the term is pretty much dead on. But I'm not everyone and humanity is insanely complex, both as discrete organisms and as a social mass, and I've come to the place where I am able to sit back and allow myself and everyone else to define (or refuse to define) themselves as they wish. I learned a lot from a trans friend of mine who just lives his life smiling.

P.S. Unlike those who are attracted to people, regardless of gender, I am attracted to a certain kind of man and a certain kind of woman.

P.P.S. If bi-folk tend to distance themselves from (for lack of a better phrase) the 100%-ers, there is no doubt in my mind that the historically, occasionally poor treatment of bi folk by the gay community is one cause. It hasn't happened to me in a looooong time (not as long as the dictionary time) but I did get some grief from people when I was first out and on the scene.

tenni
Feb 8, 2012, 9:14 AM
"Could bisexuality be in some ways more inflexible and rigid in self-thought than it was promoted as? Was it a fluid notion but only in so far as the fluid had space in any one mind to flow?"

Daffyd
I should wait to read your entire perspective but one aspect so far stands out for me. Your above ending statements led me to think that you may be connecting two aspects that are not necessarily linked. Sexual attraction as far as being fluid as to whether a person is sexually attracted to males or females is not the same as self perception. How we perceive ourselves is not a choice between two options imo. Our thoughts about ourselves may become more definite and acknowledge the duality of our sexual attraction. The use of the word "rigid" may be too negative rather than such words as resolved. The construct is the dual sexual attraction to both genders for a variety of reasons but when a person resolves their self perception there is no longer a need for fluidity of self perception or doubt of self perception. There is no longer confusion about this aspect of their personal identification.

Whether a person perceives their self perception as having elements of hetero and elements of homo versus a combination or blending of traits of monosexual constructs may not be what you are attempting to resolve for yourself. Both may have resolved their self perception issues.

just a thought.

FunE1
Feb 8, 2012, 9:45 PM
Daffyd:

I do not think that bisexuality is more rigid and inflexible in self-thought than other sexualities; I believe that rigid/inflexible thinking is part of the continuous push by our human psychologies to identify, codify, categorize, define, and explain things etc. That process led to reproductive success for those who followed it and so here we are today (as a species) always labeling things, but being evolved to the point that we also see that many aspects of life actually can't be labelled (at least not in an over-arching, satisfying-to-all manner).

For many, going with the labels/definitions given ("straight", "bi", "gay") is satisfactory as is their chosen reaction to each, while for others, evaluating those definitions, challenging them, and seeing how they stand up to personal use is important. While I personally value the latter approach (and thank you for your thoughtful questioning in previous posts, and this forum, too), the other is as valid... except, I think, when such strict adherence leads to violent and/or political/social action that harms others.

dafydd
Feb 12, 2012, 1:46 AM
Oh my giddy-eye. FUCK! and FUCKETY FUCK!
I just spend a rather long time writing the next part, and I've just gone and lost the fucker!
bollocks!

My brain hurts now.

Thanks so much for your comments. I don't know why, but it's the a post, where I've felt defintitely out of my comfort zone. (even though it started it) not knowing why I'm trying to articulate it like this...but it's good for my mind at least. I did try and respond to peoples' points in my lost message.

I'll make attempt 2 when I'm calm!!

FUCK!!

dx

Gearbox
Feb 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Oh just make sweet love to us dafydd! You know we want you too.:bibounce:

dafydd
Feb 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
So, which of the bouncing coloured balls am I? which one is you? and who's the third?

I'm confused though, what is this thing "make sweet love" you talk about....? do you want love or do you want sex? speak English man!

most of the time, its a toss between a mindless fuck and a mind funk.

I find kneeling and nihilism go hand in hand. always have.
unless you prefer hand over hand, which i can do also, but not as fast.

Gearbox
Feb 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
L-R Me, you, anybody nice. Just do whatever you do, and do it like you love us.:tongue:

void()
May 14, 2012, 8:08 PM
As I said in the post to your experiment, I did not choose either statement. I do not own the concepts of homosexuality or heterosexuality, bisexuality. This disqualifies answer number two in my opinion. Answer number one offers two exclusive absolutes in a neutral manner. In my opinion sexuality is subjective because people are subjective so, that disqualifies answer one for presentation in a neutral manner. I probably should not have bothered expressing my view of bisexuality as a hybrid. It wasn't what was asked.