What was the video chat?

hudson9
Jun 12, 2005, 12:18 AM
got my vote
:bigrin:

Brian
Jun 12, 2005, 1:27 AM
> Bring back the video chat

I just don't think it's going to happen anytime soon folks.

The video chat was good for just that, chat with video; but not too many people used that feature. Most people seem to prefer the group text chat, and that is where the video chat really sucked; it was very awkward when you had a lot of people in the chatroom because it only showed the last 16 messages or so (including messages about comings and goings), and was hard on the eyes to read. The text-only chats, including the one we use now, seem to be much better for large rooms with lot's of group "chatter" (messages colour-coded by user and so on). I tried to give this feedback to the folks who wrote the video chat software, but they didn't seem to get it - they saw nothing wrong with their interface. (They need to send their designers to a software interface/ergonomics seminar, in my opinion)

And then there were the reliability issues... (don't get me started on that)

So the bottom line is I think the video chat idea is dead for now, until someone comes out with a better product.

I am still hoping to test a new text chat program in the coming days/weeks that I hope will fix the problem that about 1 in 8 or so have in enterring the chat.

- Drew :paw:

bigregory
Jun 12, 2005, 10:12 PM
we know you will fix it drew
best of luck..

katie
Jun 12, 2005, 10:18 PM
I dont have a cam so am not interested in the video feature but being the one in eight I would love a chatroom I could actually get in all the time instead of just very occasionally..... :banghead: knocking on the door but not getting in......:compuser:Katie

hypershot
Jun 13, 2005, 3:40 AM
Sorry guys, I'm all for the chat feature alone, no video. Thats what we have messenger (MSN/Yahoo/Whateverelse) for.