PDA

View Full Version : Chat Bug #2

bidirectional
Feb 4, 2012, 8:24 PM
While in Chat everything seems like it was working. When I exited suddenly I was no longer logged in. I had noticed when I attempted to check my INBOX. It prompted me for my user name and pswd. Hitting my BACK button allowed me to get back into the chat room. Seems my user login was still cached at that moment but then exiting chat I was logged out again.

I was on Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox 10.0, w/addons: Ad-Block Plus 2.0.3; Ad-Block Plus Pop Up Addon 0.3; NoScript 2.2.9

NoScript is pretty effective at blocking java script but I had allowed all of the site to run scripts.

thx.

BiDi

Brian
Feb 4, 2012, 8:31 PM
ok, thx. will look into that. If anyone else experiences something similar please post what you saw.

- Drew :paw:

welickit
Feb 4, 2012, 8:49 PM
I had this problem during the beta testing. The problem was my system. Once I told adblock to allow on this site everything has been OK. Also when you log in under your user name make sure "remember me" is checked. If that is not checked the page transition will clear the cookie that says you are actually here and you will be logged off. On the old site remember me was the default but here it isn't yet.

elian
Feb 4, 2012, 8:52 PM
Yes, the new site appears to have a user session timeout.. I was composing a very verbose reply that took a long time to write. When I went to preview it, the site prompted me to log back in presumably because of a session timeout for security reasons. When I logged back I clicked reply again and my text was gone. When I clicked on the "restore autosave" button it only restored a very small portion of what I had typed.

It may have been in my haste to try and recover that I started a new post and it "accidentally" autosaved some of the new post over the old one before I saw the "restore autosave" button at the bottom of the dialog.

I suppose I'll have to learn to be more to the point, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Or at least learn to press CTRL-A, CTRL-C more often until I get the hang of the autosave.

bidirectional
Feb 4, 2012, 10:43 PM
I had this problem during the beta testing. The problem was my system. Once I told adblock to allow on this site everything has been OK. Also when you log in under your user name make sure "remember me" is checked. If that is not checked the page transition will clear the cookie that says you are actually here and you will be logged off. On the old site remember me was the default but here it isn't yet.

I never had this issue with the old site. For reasons of privacy I never save cookies in my FireFox session. So I never had my user name saved anywhere. Even though it was selected in the old site it couldn't save it. And I never had to add this site to the ADBLOCK addon while using the old site. But I can certainly try this option on this site. But I never got a time out that logged me off either while on the old site. I have experienced this same issue with a different site. Some of what Drew is using appears to be the same code or app for the user profiles so maybe it is the nature of the app.

bidirectional
Feb 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, the new site appears to have a user session timeout.. I was composing a very verbose reply that took a long time to write. When I went to preview it, the site prompted me to log back in presumably because of a session timeout for security reasons.

I had the exact same thing happen just a moment ago. lost my whole message. I was in the Quick Response field while responding to a pvt msg but decided to move into the ADVANCE REPLY window and it prompted me to log in again. I could see the site was "auto saving" during my QUICK REPLY session but apparently it was gone. LUCKILY I have encountered a similar issue with another site I frequent so I am accustomed to highlight my whole response and copy it and then paste it back into a NOTEPAD session. Whew. 15 mins of typing saved.

Is there a way to warn a user of inactivity and he may be logged out? Or maybe increase the session time out?

Brian
Feb 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hi bidirectional,

Regarding your original post about chat... I think this should not be a problem any more. We added something to refresh the page while chatting so you should stay logged in even during long chats.

Regarding this though:
For reasons of privacy I never save cookies in my FireFox session.

I really can't guarantee how the site will operate without cookies. It is one of those very feature rich sites that pretty well demands cookies be accepted. And the fix for the chat will not work on other pages. I think you can get away with most things on the site working because sessions by default stick around for 15 minutes (I think). But I think you will occasionally run into problems without cookies. The cookies get cleared with the Logout button if that helps.

- Drew :paw:

ps. If anyone still has a problem with being logged out while in a long chat let me know, otherwise I will assume we have this one (the chat) fixed.

**Peg**
Feb 10, 2012, 2:17 PM
Regarding this though: I really can't guarantee how the site will operate without cookies. It is one of those very feature rich sites that pretty well demands cookies be accepted. And the fix for the chat will not work on other pages. I think you can get away with most things on the site working because sessions by default stick around for 15 minutes (I think). But I think you will occasionally run into problems without cookies. The cookies get cleared with the Logout button if that helps. - Drew :paw:

ps. If anyone still has a problem with being logged out while in a long chat let me know, otherwise I will assume we have this one (the chat) fixed.

what works for me is to use the cookie feature in CrapCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

No matter which browser I use, I have ccleaner set to keep my bisexual.com cookie. Open ccleaner and click options/cookies and move the cookie for www.bisexual.com to the "Cookies to keep" column. Perhaps that is the reason I haven't been having some of the cookie problems previously mentioned.

HTH
Peg

bidirectional
Feb 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Regarding your original post about chat... I think this should not be a problem any more. We added something to refresh the page while chatting so you should stay logged in even during long chats.

Hmmm I was on chat last night and thought I experienced the same thing, logged me out in the "background" while on chat. One thing that I have done is open a second page or tab and navigate around a bit. That is my usual work around. I will pay attention and if it happens again I will let you know. May try and disable NoScripts to see if that helps.

Regarding this though:

For reasons of privacy I never save cookies in my FireFox session.

I really can't guarantee how the site will operate without cookies.

Actually I think I misspoke about the cookies in FF. During the session I think they are saved temporarily but when closing the browser it will auto clear cookies.

Thx Drew.

welickit
Feb 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
One other issue we found during beta was that some add on's will either block the chat or log you off. One I use is an add on called flash stop. It stops annoying pop up advertisements but will also kill or otherwise inhibit flash chat. Also if you have a program that kills super cookies (LSO files a/k/a SOL files) that will have a bad effect. One ad on that I know of is called Better Privacy. You can adjust the settings and everything will be fine on most ad on's.

LastGent
Feb 14, 2012, 7:13 PM
The problem I have been having with the chatroom is the ignore button doesn't work. I really need this!-a guy keeps picking on me, upsetting my conversations and stressing out my lads in waiting. Perhaps Ignor, Thor's younger brother, is no longer giving me his grace; maybe he needs an asshole sacrifice.