PDA

View Full Version : Going Dark

tenni
Jan 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wiki and several other websites have gone dark for twelve hours over the US government's plans to create legislation that will impact not only the people of the US but Canada, Mexico and other countries. SOPA (The Stop Online Piracy Act) and the PIPA (Protect IP Act) are the names of the legislation.

Opponents say the proposed law fails for a several reasons:
1: Scope
Webmasters are especially concerned about the onus the proposed laws place on anyone linking to a particular piece of content. Because the legislation could punish someone who links to a site that happens to also host copyrighted content, those doing the linking could be forced to first make sure the site is completely free of such content – an incredibly difficult task in the case of massive sites, such as YouTube.
2: Cross-Border Effect
Even though SOPA and PIPA are proposed American laws, their impact is unlikely to be contained within U.S. borders. As Canadian copyright expert Michael Geist points out, SOPA defines “domestic” IP addresses – the numeric code by which websites are listed – as an address for which the allocating entity is located within the United States. However, the American Registry for Internet Numbers, which is located in the U.S., doesn’t just assign IP addresses domestically – it’s also in charge of allocating addresses to Canada and 20 Caribbean nations. That means, American legislation designed to alter the domestic Internet landscape could end up altering much more.
3: Unintended Consequences
Among the provisions of the proposed laws are sections designed to criminalize the use of technology that would allow users to essentially get around the law itself. For example, software tools that let users hide their geographical locations, thereby avoiding the blacklist of banned sites that SOPA would create for U.S. Internet users, would be illegal. However, such tools are vital for activists in places such as the Middle East and China. As such, the proposed laws could have a chilling effect on those activists and the organizations that make the software they use.
4: Reach
In addition to Internet service providers, provisions of PIPA and SOPA allow the government – and, in some cases, the individual copyright holders – to compel online payment services, ad networks and search engines to stop doing business with or listing targeted websites. And unlike other laws that focused on websites involved primarily in piracy, the bills expand the focus to include sites on which any infringing content is found, no matter how minuscule. As such, American users of cloud storage or video hosting sites could find the entire site, along with their own content, suddenly much more difficult to access, because a single user uploaded a piece of copyrighted content.

Are you in favour of this protest? What are your thoughts about this issue?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/four-reasons-why-the-web-hates-the-us-anti-piracy-acts/article2306149/

keefer728
Jan 18, 2012, 3:00 PM
I'm totally opposed to these two bills in Congress. One thing that our Congress can not and will never do, is just target the issue. Due to malicious and corrupt individuals in the Congress, there is always a dirty under belly to such laws; i.e. invasion of the internet. This bill has been kicked around like the proverbial can for sometime now and it's the government taking over the net that we fear. When entities that are supposed to be protected by the bill don't want it, then you know something stinks in the language of the bill.

Gearbox
Jan 18, 2012, 4:31 PM
Freedoms are often taken away 'for the good of all'.:rolleyes:

IMO if they are so concerned about copyrights then THEY should police the net, and NOT conscript others to do it for them.
Then if there's an issue of free expression, complaints can go straight to the source.

Caaveman
Jan 18, 2012, 4:37 PM
Go here if you would like to sign the petition aganst this:
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

keefer728
Jan 18, 2012, 5:54 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/204749-websites-strike-to-protest-online-piracy-bills

Voices are being heard. I signed a petition a few weeks ago against the bill. I'm thinking that hundreds of thousands have also.

tenni
Jan 18, 2012, 8:52 PM
Jimmy Wales, a wiki representative, is on CBCNewsworld right now stating that so far ninety million people have visited the protest site. Four million have called the numbers listed of their government representatives.

12voltman59
Jan 19, 2012, 12:34 AM
For whatever it is worth---on Tuesday--I called the local offices of my Congressman and both US Senators---to suggest that they should consider voting NO for both SOPA and PIPA which are the respective bills before each legislative body---like so many things with our dear elected leaders these days--they are doing the bidding of their big money masters, pushing fast consideration and passage of legislation without considering the real and potential unintended consequences.

If these bills pass and sadly---the do seem destined to do so---if the worst case scenarios put forth by the internet service provider side of things are correct---as soon as these laws go into effect--the nature of the internet as we have known it will be forever changed and not for the good.

The arguments that the pro side makes is that "oh we won't pursue cases here in the US!" or something to that effect--but history shows that when some powers are granted--for those whose duty it is to enforce those laws--- they make sure that they fully (and even a bit beyond) take advantage of the power now granted to regulate, prosecute, etc!!

Life in this Modern World--ain't it grand???

keefer728
Jan 19, 2012, 1:43 AM
Volty........that bill is dead where it stands. Right now I don't think Congress has the balls to touch it. So much uproar has been heard that the bill is like picking up a turd.

æonpax
Jan 19, 2012, 3:33 AM
`
While it appears that SOPA and it's far worse companion bill, PIPA. appear to be stopped, it would be a major error in thinking these US bills are dead, they've only been shelved. Updates:

PIPA support collapses, with 13 new Senators opposed - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/pipa-support-collapses-with-13-new-opponents-in-senate.ars

Obama Stops Controversial SOPA Internet Piracy Bill - http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane-mccalla/obama-stops-controversial-sopa-internet-piracy-bill/

One can expect the corporations, whom all have deep pockets, to again resurrect these bill when they think no one is paying attention.

Hephaestion
Jan 19, 2012, 6:13 AM
Perhaps if the entertainment media people stopped doing things like hiking up prices without artists benefitting and undermining the much vaunted free trade by persisting with e.g. Region restricted DVD's then one might have a little sympathy for their so called plight. Otherwise it is sheer hyprcrisy on their part.

reddc513
Jan 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
I am completely against the idea of censorship on the web. The web is just about the only place to express freely anymore and so if the start with this they will soon decide they can go farther and restrict and restrict. If you look at it if you post a poem you have written on myspace. it becomes their property and is copyrighted as such. I could be sued for re posting something i have written.

12voltman59
Jan 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!!!

Keefer was right---many of those in Congress who supported these bills---with what does seem to have been a major groundswell of consternation and complaint about this law----politicos are jumping like rats from a sinking ship away from these bills, at least for now!!!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT---maybe we poor peasants who cannot write $100 million dollar checks to pay for lobbyists and set up our own deep pocketed PACs, can still get our voices heard by simply calling up our reps to let them know where we stand on an issue and to "suggest" they at least consider our positions.

In my local paper in Dayton this morning---the local Congressman and both US Senate offices said that they were swamped with calls coming in against the bills and guess what---they all put out statements that either directly stated their opposition to the bills or at the very least something along the lines of: "that we need more thoughtful consideration about the issue before we take action"---which is the position I took when I called---I simply said that at present--I don't think that they have thought through all of the unintended consequences of the bills as now written and to look at other ways to deal with what is a real problem with piracy.

My thought on this was that those bills would be a situation of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater!" if they went forward as proposed.

Lately I have been getting a big jaded, pissed off and cynical about "the process" as it now stands, but that this was such a "win" on this issue--I am going to keep those calls to my reps offices coming---the young staffers at those offices are getting to know me lately since I have been calling so much!!

I guess I am getting to be "one of those old cranky bastards!" but man---while I am not one to think that America is this purely perfect pie in the sky "beacon to the world" and all that crap--it is my country and while not perfect---is still a pretty good place---and when you compare us to many places around the world--we still have much in our favor. I am going to do what I can to try to keep too much of what I consider to be "the stupid shit" from taking place!!

keefer728
Jan 19, 2012, 2:08 PM
I read a book back when I was in HS, which was a looong time ago by the title; None Dare Call It Conspiracy. The book literally blew my head off at what it implied. That was approximately 35 years ago, and I see it today as almost prophetic in what it said. But, the one thing that I held onto thoughout the years was a premise put out in it. Give the people all the Sony tv's they can handle, the cars, the life they so desire, and what the politician will get in return, is a very subdued and overly burdened electorate too busy with paying bills and buying more "stuff" Well, tell me that isn't exactly what happened in the ensuing years. One thing that WE, the people need to realize is that by simply picking up the phone, the pen and paper, the email; we can effect change in our representatives actions immediately if we only JUST DO IT! Does your vote count? You're damn straight it counts. Does your phone call matter? You're damn straight it matters. The thing is, if only ten percent of people in any one district only called, you would see an avalanche of reps pulling tight their belts and finally start listening to what WE the people are saying. I refuse to be cynical. I believe in our system of governance. I also believe that I will continue to communicate with my elected representatives.

tenni
Jan 19, 2012, 2:50 PM
I have a few connected questions for Keefer and Voltie.

Do you think that it was the intensity of the phone calls happening on one day that impacted legislators or the numbers?

Was yesterdays high numbers in one day that did the impact?

Would the same number of phone calls over say five months make an equal impact?

just wondering?

keefer728
Jan 19, 2012, 3:14 PM
You're just wondering, huh? Not buying it. You're a known shit stirrer.

tenni
Jan 19, 2012, 3:21 PM
I prefer to see myself as a sane mover and a shaker...:bigrin:
In other words a creative thinker.

No, I just wondered what Keefer and Voltie thoughts were. I am not sure what you think that I am not believing?

It seems to me that there are two factors: a/ number of calls b/ duration that the number of calls happened(one day is pretty intense)

I think that it is great that this approach yesterday has created some positive change. Remember that I posted this thread. I am interested as a creative worker, I am impacted by these decision dealing with copyright.

darkeyes
Jan 19, 2012, 7:16 PM
You're just wondering, huh? Not buying it. You're a known shit stirrer.

In the face of oppression, suppression and very dubious regression a highly laudible attitude if u ask me, Keefer:).. not enough of us about but we r larger in number each day... keep it up, Tenni babes...

Gearbox
Feb 24, 2012, 8:43 PM
I just found out that my favourite torrent site has shut down. I says that it voluntarily shut down, but I wonder if it has anything to do with recent legislation?

Long Duck Dong
Feb 24, 2012, 9:39 PM
btjunkie closed down cos of the megaupload site issue a few weeks ago, and there are serious questions being asked over how a german person living in nz, can be charged in the US and be extradited to the us to face US legal charges relating to websites hosted in russia, china and other countries and most of the NZ legal system was circumvented in order to get kim dot com and his mates in court in NZ and all of their property seized....

they face their first extradition hearing on feb 22nd, in NZ.....

so yeah BTjunkie shut down rather than be held legally responsible for the actions of the people that use the torrent site.... cos the same thing happened to the pirate bay site.... the EX owners ended up in court, not the people actually doing the file sharing.....

wanderingrichard
Feb 24, 2012, 9:58 PM
i don't know how well these protests have gone, but i will tell you that this is an unenforceable act of a paranoid compromised government.
we really need to take back our country from the domestic threat that has become the true enemy.