PDA

View Full Version : 5 people, one guitar

Long Duck Dong
Jan 11, 2012, 9:57 PM
5 people, one guitar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d9NF2edxy-M)

no, its not a kinkier version of 2 girls, one cup..... its actually a very well done song and guitar playing that was amazing to watch and beautiful to listen to.... so I thought I would share it.......

here are the lyrics

"Somebody That I Used To Know"
(feat. Kimbra)

[Gotye:]
Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad that it was over

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

[Kimbra:]
Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it was always something that I'd done
And I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You said that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

[Gotye:]
But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
And you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though

Somebody
(I used to know)
Somebody
(Now you're just somebody that I used to know)

todaystheday
Jan 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
These guys are from my city of Burlington Ontario. Very talented musicians and singers. There was an article in the Burlington Post about this song just today. Check link below for more info http://www.insidehalton.com/community/burlington/article/1277340

Hope to see them live in a local bar, maybe even the Waterfront Festival this year. I have been hearing the original version lately on the radio, which seems to be getting a lot of airplay.

Long Duck Dong
Jan 12, 2012, 1:08 AM
cheers dude for that info.... it was in a NZ online news link, so I watched it and yeah, brilliant, absolutely brilliant.....

hope you get to see them live, I reckon that it would be a awesome performance

Realist
Jan 12, 2012, 8:25 AM
They're great!

Very unique and interesting way to present a song!

Darkside2009
Jan 12, 2012, 4:47 PM
Wonderful! I couldn't stop smiling.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jan 12, 2012, 5:02 PM
Was great and I know exactly how the words feel. Been there, done that, evolved on to something bigger and better..:}
Good job Guys..
Cat

tenni
Jan 12, 2012, 6:47 PM
Walk off the Earth have just released a comment video on the video that went viral. This band is also from my city. Russell Crowe's comments made their video go viral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ9xgrUqbgs

DuckiesDarling
Jan 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
It's an amazing song and that video was tremendously well done. I must admit I'm addicted to both versions of the song but I think the guys sing it better than Gotye IMO.

DuckiesDarling
Jan 18, 2012, 10:20 AM
Thought I'd add the link to the original song. They are both awesome but female, Kimbra, in this video. The energy coming off of her, you can really put yourself in both positions in the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

Enjoy :)

reddc513
Jan 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
WOW;):tong:

12voltman59
Jan 19, 2012, 1:18 PM
FUCKING AWESOME!!!

They are a great group of musicians--if they can do that great with one instrument---think of what they can do with everyone playing their own---their voices are great too and they compliment each other.

It really was a cool thing to do that as a sort of demonstration thing--I am going to be looking for them---I hope they come do some gigs in my neck of the woods!!

Thanks for the post!!!!!

I just went back to watch the vid of the version that Duckie posted--I actually prefer the cover version with the five people---even though the original is good too---that guy's voice, the instrumentals and the composition very much reminds me of something done by Sting or even The Police.

12voltman59
Jan 19, 2012, 2:03 PM
I have gone back and replayed the Walk off the Earth's version like nearly a dozen times now to primarily watch--and listen--but man----each time I watched the vid I caught more and more nuanced aspects of their playing and I have to say that from very aspect of musicianship---they are really highly skilled---first point--the first male vocalist--his subdued "creamy" way of singing is great--he has a great voice----then the long hair guy sings the higher pitched, more emotional lyrics---once again---great---he has that "Sting-esque" sound as well---then the singing of the blonde girl---she really gets the emotional parts of her portion down---her playing of the guitar is wonderful---very controlled and had to be tough because the long haired guy is working one section of the frets, as is the first vocalist who is working further up the frets then the bearded guy on the end--at first I didn't see him doing anything--but at times--he was tweaking the strings up above the frets--almost replicating the "twing" effect that the late and great Stevie Ray Vaughan did on one of my fave pieces of his--"Riveria Paradise"

The other guy who never sings--but did the percussion thing with the knocks-once again--AWESOME work.

Going back to the guitar playing of the "mesmerizing" blonde girl---she played her strings in a very "tight" way and I loved the sound she got from the guitar---she also sort of took on the role of the character in the lyrics if you watch her closely----she is ready to make videos!!

A final point--when the girl and the three guys were harmonizing----once again--just great stuff!!

One last bit on the band---I already "Liked" them on Facebook--on there they said they have been pestering the production people on the staff of "The Ellen Show" and after this video making such a big splash---they are going to fly to LA and do a taping for an upcoming Ellen show!!

Looks like they are off and running--they deserve it though--just hope the success they are bound to find doesn't take 'em down "hell's highway" like it has for so many others!! They seem like nice "kids"---

It does surely seem that they have plenty of talent thus far--now if they are do to well---they will need to have good song writing, composition and arrangement skills and come to find what is their individual, unique musical style.

Hephaestion
Jan 20, 2012, 4:00 PM
Both version posted are great

Talented sausages - and what's more it ain't (C)rap.