PDA

View Full Version : Japan's Quake Debris hits west of N A

tenni
Dec 26, 2011, 4:00 PM
Reports have been in the news in Canada for the past few days about debris from the Japanese Earthquake hitting the west coast of North America. The size of the debris is suspected to possibly be as large as the size of California.

Items appearing to be of Japanese origin(writing etc.) have been washing up in Tofino, BC for about twenty days. Tofino, British Columbia's mayor was discussing how this will have to be a co ordinated effort between various levels of government. Procedures are being planned as to how to deal with the debris. There is the likelihood that there will be items of personal significance of those who died or those who have had relatives disappear in the sweep out to the ocean. There is a possibility of human remains and people are being asked to show respect for anything that washes up on beaches. There are plans to create a website of the items that are suspected of a personal nature. There is the possibility that this may continue for months.

What are people hearing who live in BC or the US west coast?

mikey3000
Dec 26, 2011, 5:45 PM
I'm hearing that the debris could be highly radioactive and a disaster in the making.

FunE1
Dec 27, 2011, 10:24 AM
Tenni-- thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard anything about this (on the east coast of the U.S.) ... very interesting story. Looks like the remnants of this could take years to clean up.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Dec 28, 2011, 2:41 AM
Question is, How are they going to clean it up? It may take years to clean all of that stuff up. How is it to be disposed of? Recycled? Cant burn it all. I know the expense its going to take to rid the shoerlines of it, not to mention the impact its going to have on our already becoming frail invironment...:( Hope they find a way to deal with it. I reallly dont want to see this on our tax forms. "Environmental tax to clean up Tsunami mess"
Cat