PDA

View Full Version : The Commitment: Cheat vs. Discreet - Fidelity vs. Infidelity

bityme
Dec 4, 2011, 3:48 PM
We have been following the interesting discussions on the two threads referred to above.

Seems like everything boils down to the promises you made to your S/O because you got together on a 24/7 basis, paid a license fee, or otherwise became a permanent relationship.

As a couple, we met in the lifestyle which we both enjoy. We both are bisexual and enjoy watching and participating in the activities of each other with either gender and transgendered individuals. To complicate things we also fell in love and are getting married this month.

While two "M" words, matrimony and marriage, are in our vocabulary, one "M" word, monogamy is not. The "F" word, fidelity, is also foreign to us.

While we do believe in discretion, we are open and honest with each other, so cheating is not an issue.

With all this in mind, we wrote our own wedding ceremony. Here are just a few excerpts from it. You might note that words like "obey" and "faithful" are not present. We have, however, included in our commitment the promise to join with each other in seeking the best of life's experiences.

Perhaps, those thinking of entering into a relationship should consider what they want from it and reject the use of some standard ceremony, the words of which might come back to haunt you in later years. We did, and the time taken to write our own ceremony really helped us define our own relationship.

Pappy & Ms Tiff

What do you think of the following?

A Few Excerpts from the Officiant:
To make this relationship work, therefore, takes more than love. It takes trust, to know in your hearts that you want only the best for each other. It takes dedication, to stay open to one another, to learn and grow, even when it is difficult to do so. And it takes faith, to go forward together without knowing what the future holds for you both. While love is our natural state of being, these other qualities are not as easy to come by. They are not a destination, but a journey.

The true art of married life is in this an inner spiritual journey. It is a mutual enrichment, a give and take between two personalities, a mingling of two endowments that diminishes neither, but enhances both.

Marriage deepens and enriches every facet of life. Happiness is fuller; memories are fresher; commitment is stronger; even anger is felt more strongly, and passes away more quickly. Marriage understands and forgives the mistakes life is unable to avoid. It encourages and nurtures new life, new experiences, and new ways of expressing love through the seasons of life. When two people pledge to love and care for each other in marriage they create a spirit unique to themselves, which binds them closer than any spoken or written words. Marriage is a promise, a potential, made in the hearts of two people who love, which takes a lifetime to fulfill.

The Vows:
[Recited by both]
Will you take this woman/man, whose hands you hold, choosing her/him alone to be your wedded wife/husband? Will you live with her/him in the state of true matrimony? Will you love her/him, comfort her/him, through good times and bad, in sickness and in health, honor her/him at all times, and cherish her/him? Will you support her/him and be her/his helpmate as a part of her/his family?

The Commitment:
[Recited by both]
We entered into each others’ lives
and experienced love and happiness.
I find joy in the fact that we compliment each other
and that we are complete individuals in and of ourselves.

Today I am confirming my promise
for all of my life to love and respect you,
to cherish you and be honest with you,
to give you encouragement, strength and trust,
to join with you in seeking the best of life’s experiences
and to enjoy with you all that life offers, 

to stand together in our times of joy and of sorrow.

I pray that our home will be one
of love and understanding and patience ... 

not to remain the same,
but to grow better and stronger with the passing of time, 

through the love we have for one another. 

I am promising from this day forward that I will be your husband/wife,
to walk with you throughout all your tomorrows. 

I love you.

Gearbox
Dec 4, 2011, 7:54 PM
Well I personally think it's fan-freaking-tastic!!:2cents:

Wedding vows that actually give some thought to freedom and dare I say 'unconditional LOVE!'.
That's (IMO) the only way we can know somebody. Just love them!:)
As the very doable Sting once sang, "If you love somebody, set them free!".;)

tenni
Dec 4, 2011, 8:17 PM
I also think that you have done a super job at creating these vows. There are a couple that I might not pick but over all they are great!!!

You are two very wise bisexuals. May your joys be many and friction seldom.

Congratulations!!!;)

Long Duck Dong
Dec 5, 2011, 3:46 AM
congrads to both of you and may your home always be as welcoming for others, as your arms and hearts are welcoming to each other......

your vows are nice..... different to the way I would do things but the way I do things is different than most people.... I am drawn more to the old celtic ways, than the modern ways.........

just one minor thing
" Seems like everything boils down to the promises you made to your S/O because you got together on a 24/7 basis, paid a license fee, or otherwise became a permanent relationship "

most of the issues boil down to what a person doesn't say to a person......not what they do say..... as anybody can say wedding vows on that special day, its what you say or do not say every other day of your life that makes the difference......cos its what we say every other day that reflects the changes in our lives and with each other.... wedding vows may only be said 1 or more times in a lifetime or for some, not at all.......

welickit
Dec 5, 2011, 10:37 AM
The vows are quite nice and it might catch on with others. However, many times issues come along when one partner or the other finds out after being married for years that they have new and different feeling about being bisexual. At that point do they share their feelings or take what seems to be the easy way to pursue their curiosity? It would be great if they could modify or renew their vows.

You, like us had the advantage of both being bisexual and open with each other before you tied the knot. You will certainly have a more relaxed relationship and enjoy life as you go forward. We wish you the best. If even one person benefits from your post then it is well worth it. Thanks for sharing. :bipride:

bityme
Dec 5, 2011, 2:40 PM
just one minor thing
" Seems like everything boils down to the promises you made to your S/O because you got together on a 24/7 basis, paid a license fee, or otherwise became a permanent relationship "

most of the issues boil down to what a person doesn't say to a person......not what they do say..... as anybody can say wedding vows on that special day, its what you say or do not say every other day of your life that makes the difference......cos its what we say every other day that reflects the changes in our lives and with each other.... wedding vows may only be said 1 or more times in a lifetime or for some, not at all.......

LDD,

Thank you.

I absolutely agree with you about how things change as life goes on. My reference was to the other discussions about commitments made and later being brought up after those later changes took place.

As we change in life, we certainly have the opportunity to modify our commitment if we have kept the communication and honest going as we progress. It's often tragic when people reduce their efforts at that communication when they experience even the slightest fear that their comments or concerns won't be well received.

Pappy

bityme
Dec 5, 2011, 2:49 PM
Gearbox & tenni,

Thank you for the kind compliments.

At that point do they share their feelings or take what seems to be the easy way to pursue their curiosity? It would be great if they could modify or renew their vows.

welickit,

Thank you.

Yes, it would be great. I have often thought and sometimes advocated that marriage licenses be time limited. Every 5 or 7 years the parties would be forced to reconsider things and would have the opportunity to extend or modify the ground rules or let the relationship be automatically terminated without all the animosity. Probably impractical and unworkable when issues like finances and children are involved, but in a perfect world who knows? :) :)

Pappy

Realist
Dec 5, 2011, 2:53 PM
You lucky Devil!

This is the third marriage for you and, apparently, all three have been what many of us have dreamed of. I'm sorry for your losses, but you've definitely made the best of each situation.

I think the secret of your success has been your openness and honesty, about who you are and what you want.

You've never settled for less than you wanted, unlike some others I could name...like me!

I wish the best for you both.

bityme
Dec 5, 2011, 2:57 PM
Thank you, Dennis

ErosUrge
Dec 5, 2011, 3:36 PM
ahh the best to you both. The very relationship you two are committing to is precisely what I would like as well. Filled with honesty and openess and understanding of the greater needs to fulfill your lives. Again, the very best to you both.

bityme
Dec 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
Thank you, ErosUrge.

ShesBi72
Dec 6, 2011, 1:03 PM
I know I am new here, but I just had to comment on these vows. They are beautiful!! I hope that you guys have a long and happy marriage!

Ours is open and right now I am dating another woman, sometimes her and her boyfriend join us. I was lucky enough to find a guy that was not only ok with me being bi, but encourages me daily.

bityme
Dec 6, 2011, 2:11 PM
I know I am new here, but I just had to comment on these vows. They are beautiful!! I hope that you guys have a long and happy marriage!

Ours is open and right now I am dating another woman, sometimes her and her boyfriend join us. I was lucky enough to find a guy that was not only ok with me being bi, but encourages me daily.

Thank you.

Keep that openness and communication going. For me, it was the key to two wonderful prior marriages of 18 and 20 years. This third has the promise of being the best of all.

Pappy

lizard-lix
Dec 6, 2011, 5:24 PM
Pappy, thank you so much for this!

Being completely self centered for a minute, this comes just at the right time, as my wife and I are getting to the decision point about giving up monogamy. I have been working on a letter telling her how I feel about her and the situation, and I am going to put your post in as part of it..

Being not so self centered now, I am so very happy for you and the ones you share your life with, and everyone who may benefit from these words.

Thanks!

Liz

bityme
Dec 7, 2011, 3:34 AM
Pappy, thank you so much for this!

Being completely self centered for a minute, this comes just at the right time, as my wife and I are getting to the decision point about giving up monogamy. I have been working on a letter telling her how I feel about her and the situation, and I am going to put your post in as part of it..

Being not so self centered now, I am so very happy for you and the ones you share your life with, and everyone who may benefit from these words.

Thanks!

Liz

Thank you, Liz

I'm flattered by the compliments, but knowing that I might have been helpful to someone else gives me an even better feeling.

Pappy