PDA

View Full Version : switch your phone off?

locotom
Dec 1, 2011, 9:41 AM
came across this article.If you value your privacy chuck your smartphone away?

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/secret-software-logging-video/

makes you wonder what else they're doing?

ohmymy69
Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 PM
Either people will be lazy and do nothing or you'll hear the sort that say "I have nothing to hide" much like the bunch that smilingly supported The Patriot Act!!!

Sadly any ghost of privacy is almost gone... to quote James Madison: “Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation”

Spaka69
Dec 1, 2011, 1:21 PM
"I have nothing to hide" is the easy out of this intrusion into your privacy. You may have nothing to hide but you do have the right to privacy. People don't realize their privacy is being slowly chipped away and the people behind this intrusion sell it as being a "good" thing. Just like "On Star"

lizard-lix
Dec 1, 2011, 5:43 PM
In most phones you can turn the GPS tracking off, but in some of the smartphones (at least one version of the iPhone for example), even if you turn it off, stays on (see the phone and the maker are smarter than you :bigrin:

Forget privacy, the damage is so badly done, that you;d need to go off grid and move several times to maybe have any.

darkeyes
Dec 1, 2011, 7:10 PM
Nothing surprising about lack of privacy and mobile phones.. the first time I remember hearing of it was when Diana's phone was hacked and I was only a teenager then. Now of course we have the British media hacking scandal so its not just the state that screws around with our privacy.. and its going to get worse as phones become ever more sophisticated and we know less about just what they can do..they are radio devices for God's sake and they have been able to covertly listen to radio devices since the early part of last century and track them almost as long. Sophistication means they can track them even more closely than ever before and, listen to our phone calls more easily than ever before and read our texts without any great trouble.

..and if government and media are doing it.. I have no doubt whatsoever that private corporations and other institutions are doing it for one reason or other.. and on a scale we should be seriously concerned about..and not just on other corporations and institutions, but probably their own employees...

Most of our calls and texts, and other uses we make of our phones are useless to others; government, institutions or individuals.. but each of us uses them for things which at some stage in our lives, our communications may become hostages to fortune and can and may very well be used to harm us. Our phones, from the tracking of our movements to reading our texts and listening to our calls and what we use the internet for, can all be used by unscrupulous institutions and individuals..including governments.. they are used for such purposes quite legally now.. many of these functions are used to combat crime and terrorism..for purposes of "national security" but it is just as simple to use that same technology as a method of surveillance of and control over the general population..

Don't think that because u believe yourself honest and have done nothing illegal that you have nothing to fear.. history proves that a fallacy.. our telephones are in the vanguard of making it easier for oppression, suppression, simple old fashioned commercial corruption and industrial espionage... and we mustn't forget.. to sell newspapers..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/leveson-inquiry