PDA

View Full Version : So, care to share examples of worthwhile profiles?

DoctorAtrocity
Oct 5, 2011, 7:29 PM
Good day everyone,

I am a newbie to bisexual.com who will be writing up his profile this coming weekend. I have carefully read through the post about profile writing, "Tips on Using the Personal Ads" (http://main.bisexual.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16), and will largely follow its advice.

However, I am curious to know what profiles folks think are interesting and effective, and why they think so. Is there a profile on here that really gets your attention? If so, please share it. And feel free to mention your own profile. However, if you do, please try to share a few others as well so, you know... you don't come across as completely self-absorbed :bigrin:

Meanwhile, I look forward to participating in this community. I like the general tone and atmosphere on this board, and compliment the site owner and community leaders for keeping things fairly smooth.

Cheers,
Doctor Atrocity

falcondfw
Oct 6, 2011, 12:44 AM
Simple answer. Honest profiles. If you can't be yourself on the annonymous internet, where can you be yourself?
Besides, anyone you meet will figure it out quickly enough if you lie.
There are some good fake profiles that fool people, but the ones that attract me are the ones that are honest and true to themselves where that honesty shows through.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Oct 6, 2011, 1:45 AM
Just be You, Sugar. Thats all you'll ever need. Many folks wont talk to a person that doesnt have at least Something on thier profiles...its that whole trust issue, ya understand...
Just be fun and witty, open, honest and You.:}
Cat
Everybody's Feline.

Realist
Oct 6, 2011, 6:53 AM
Welcome, Doc!

I think you'll enjoy this site; there's some great folks here and you'll soon discover your favorites and even a few you'll not care to interact with..

As for your profile: The profiles that stand out to me are the ones that are clear and concise. They are well-worded, not long, or convoluted, and leave a good impression of why the member is here and what they hope to find.

DoctorAtrocity
Oct 6, 2011, 10:13 AM
Simple answer. Honest profiles. If you can't be yourself on the annonymous internet, where can you be yourself?
I concur, falcondfw. Honesty is an essential part of this. I will keep in mind your advice, and will thus be especially blunt and forthright. As well as honesty, I think specificity is on order. Thanks for the tip.

DoctorAtrocity
Oct 6, 2011, 10:19 AM
Welcome, Doc!

I think you'll enjoy this site; there's some great folks here and you'll soon discover your favorites and even a few you'll not care to interact with.
I too think I will enjoy it. I appreciate the vibrant little community that is buzzing around here. The forums are proof of that, given the many posts that are not hook-up related.

As for your profile: The profiles that stand out to me are the ones that are clear and concise. They are well-worded, not long, or convoluted, and leave a good impression of why the member is here and what they hope to find.
NO! Don't say that! Not concise! Excess verbosity is my one great and fatal flaw in the verbiage department. Oh no :-( Have you any idea how hard and long I will have to work to cull down my profile? (Not that hard and long is a bad thing, mind you.)

Sigh... yes, you are right, brevity is the soul of wit. I will cut and edit till my backspace key is bloody.

Realist
Oct 6, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hey, Doc, that was not a DIRECTIVE!

You should go with what you feel best.

Do your own thing!

I was only stating what gets my attention.........everyone may find interesting whatever you write!

DoctorAtrocity
Oct 6, 2011, 5:45 PM
Hey, Doc, that was not a DIRECTIVE!

You should go with what you feel best.

Do your own thing!

I was only stating what gets my attention.........everyone may find interesting whatever you write!
Don't worry Realist. I didn't agree with you because you, Realist, so decreed. I agreed with you because I agreed with you.

In looking over a few profiles, I noticed a couple of really long ones - the sort I am inclined to write if I don't exercise some self-discipline. My eyes glazed over at the length, and I gave them a cursory skim at best.

You are right - moderate length is best if I want people to actually read what I write. Thanks for the advice.

Meanwhile, does anybody care to cite any specific examples of cool profiles?

hgf33
Oct 6, 2011, 6:50 PM
Hello, and welcome!! I agree with what others are saying, that you should just be yourself and be honest, but put whatever your heart desires! The more info, the better. You want to intrigue people by showing your personality, and maybe including some fascinating things about yourself. If you like, you can check mine out. Now, I'm not bragging, just being honest, lol... but I get lots of personal messages from people complimenting me on mine. Maybe you'll get some ideas for your own! Have fun with it! :flag4:

DoctorAtrocity
Oct 7, 2011, 8:09 AM
Hello, and welcome!! I agree with what others are saying, that you should just be yourself and be honest, but put whatever your heart desires! The more info, the better. You want to intrigue people by showing your personality, and maybe including some fascinating things about yourself. If you like, you can check mine out. Now, I'm not bragging, just being honest, lol... but I get lots of personal messages from people complimenting me on mine. Maybe you'll get some ideas for your own! Have fun with it! :flag4:
Thanks for the example hgf33, I appreciate it. And I concur with others - you do have a good profile which is interesting to read.

However, in reading over your profile, a few thoughts come to mind. You are looking for another woman to join you, as you make clear in your summary. So a longer and more informative profile makes sense for your purposes. Women tend to prefer highly informative profiles. Guys? Not so much. (Yes, I know - this is all stereotype and there are plenty of exceptions - but such a statement is broadly correct.)

This leads to two questions. First, do you feel that your very specific summary effectively wards off unwanted attention from inappropriate people? Second, while your detailed profile is likely quite effective in finding suitable women, do you think such a profile would be as effective for a man looking for other men or couples?

hgf33
Oct 7, 2011, 1:26 PM
Thanks for the example hgf33, I appreciate it. And I concur with others - you do have a good profile which is interesting to read.

However, in reading over your profile, a few thoughts come to mind. You are looking for another woman to join you, as you make clear in your summary. So a longer and more informative profile makes sense for your purposes. Women tend to prefer highly informative profiles. Guys? Not so much. (Yes, I know - this is all stereotype and there are plenty of exceptions - but such a statement is broadly correct.)

This leads to two questions. First, do you feel that your very specific summary effectively wards off unwanted attention from inappropriate people? Second, while your detailed profile is likely quite effective in finding suitable women, do you think such a profile would be as effective for a man looking for other men or couples?

Thank you. :)

My profile is actually not written solely to be an ad. It's the same profile I use on other sites as well, just to give people an idea of who I am. Granted, it's much longer than most people would bother with, but that's just me, it's what I prefer to do. At this point, I'm not even really trying to meet a girl. I'm more in the mindset of "if it happens, great, I'll go from there, and if not, no big deal." I'm extremely happy in my relationship.

Does it effectively ward off unwanted attention? Definitely. As long as I've been on this site, I haven't received any unwanted attention. I've only gotten polite messages from people who have read my profile, which tells me it's effective. If people are PMing me, they are obviously intrigued enough to talk to me, and because I have stated what I want or don't want, they respect it. I imagine if I didn't specify certain things, the attention would be different. I also think if I didn't put much on there, including pictures, no one would see a reason to talk to me, aside from seeing what I write in the forums.

Personally, I like reading interesting profiles, no matter who they are or what they're looking for. It makes the experience seem more human, and the person seem a lot more real, like you're talking to them and not to just an icon or a name. It paints a picture and puts a face with the name. Not Sometimes, when I see a blank profile, I wonder, "What is this person hiding, and why?" Emphasis on sometimes, because you can also get an idea of who people are from the forums and things. You don't need to have one as extensive as mine, of course. That is merely my preference, and I have a lot of time on my hands. However, I still believe being informative is good. It's just like a dating site profile. Leave it blank and you probably won't have much luck. People want to see pictures and read about you. I know I've honestly passed up people who have blank profiles.

So do I think it would be successful for a man seeking another man or a couple, then yes, I do. I don't think it really matters. I've gotten WAY more messages on this site from men than women, and they usually quote things from my profile, which tells me they are reading it. That said, they have all been respectful. Not only will a good profile help you gain the attention you want, but it will also help you weed out those you aren't interested in.

Good luck!

domsubmerge
Oct 7, 2011, 1:59 PM
(As I've said before ....)

Unfortunately, I'm afraid most of this discussion is wishful thinking. You see, I did what many of you suggest ... was as honest as anyone can be when looking in the mirror ... and it didn't work. I received lots of "free advice" and amateur psychoanalysis but very little respect or appreciation from this community. Apparently, most of us seem to prefer dishonest and superficial content.

I've since "gone sarcastic" ... still not much action but at least it doesn't generate the denigration that the other version did. You know, for a group that claims that they don't want to be judged, we sure seem to like doing it to each other.

Just my two-and-a-quarter cents worth ... again.