PDA

View Full Version : OFF TOPIC....Need advice on Yard or Tag Sales

onewhocares
Sep 8, 2011, 7:31 PM
Hi All,
I know that I have not been posting much as I have been busy with family and work. It is official….my mom has come to live with us. After a test period of over two years…YES, that is a while, our guest room has now become her room. Recently reappointed in her colors and taste, the bedroom is now a reflection of her. She is in good health and independent, but it seems she does not want to live alone. Having hubby and our daughter around (and our dog Oliver too) has made her long to stay.
So create room in our home we are having a yard sale in two weeks. I have NEVER had something like this and do need some advice from those in the know. How do you price the items? What sells the best? Does clothing-be it childrens or adult- worth selling? What about books? We have so many household items that I am thinking of creating “rooms” for items.
I well all comments and hints to try and make this sale a success. I am also planning to sell baked goods to benefit our local senior citizen center to establish a hurricane preparedness program (we were SO lucky in our area).
Thank you in advance.
Belle

Spiro
Sep 8, 2011, 8:36 PM
hi,

are you trying to earn money or move stuff out of your house. Or both, I think if you are trying to sell and make money then that is your driving factor, but if it is to move stuff then that is your driving factor.

thanks

Sam

othercat
Sep 8, 2011, 9:28 PM
i have had several yards sales and sold things at flea markets. theres not a whole lot of difference from my experience. first dont get hopes to high on getting what you ask for and be prepared that you can have a good day and you can have a not so good day. i have had days when i did not sell anything at all. and days when i sold almost every thing in a few hours. be prepared to bargain, alot of people are going to ask you the price of something, or if you have things already priced with a sticker or a tag, they will ask will you take $$ for this, $$ being a price lower than your asking. then you can say yes or no. they might ask you how much lower price you will take. iv found that tools sell very well.even old shovels or rakes, some times the older and more weathered the better, some peole want them for ornamental or decoration other than the specific use. electric item should be in good working condition. you can have an extention cord handy to show people electric items work. clothe should be in good condition and washed and folded or nicely hanging, be prepaired to refold because things will get tossed around. have things grouped similarly. if you want to move things fast price them well below the price new, and accept offers asked. if you want to make a specific amount you will need to hold firm with your asking price. have plenty of coin change and $1 $5 $10 ready, you will be handed large bills and you have to be ready to give change. check weathet forcasts so you will have clear weather on the day of your sale. have space for parking if you can. wear a smile and be friendly.

othercat
Sep 8, 2011, 9:54 PM
part 2, lol. make sure glass items are not cracked, chipped or broken, your better off just throwing broken stuff away, and you dont want any one to get cut or injured. dont haveanything placed where some one can trip ovet it. keep safety in mind. be aware of what any children are doing so they dont brake any thing or get injured. have some bags ready for people to carry their purchases, depending on what your selling mabe some cardboard boxes. grocery bags are fine. you probably have some of those already, or save a bunch up. iv never had any problems with thefts but watch that no one walks off with any thing. you could have some lemon aide or cookies for free or cheap but very important check with your area if you do that, many places require petmits even for kids who want to have a lemonaide stand. you dont want to end up spending your profits on paying a fine. have a tarp or covers handy, in case it does start raining. get things ready the night before and set up early.

mikey3000
Sep 8, 2011, 10:10 PM
And prepare for the hagglers!

baachus
Sep 8, 2011, 10:23 PM
These articles are a couple of years old but should still hold true.

Ten Tips for Hosting a Yard Sale (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977285062&nav=Namespace)

10 Do's and Don'ts of a Successful Garage Sale (http://www.rd.com/home/the-10-dos-and-donts-of-a-successful-garage-sale/)

Good luck

Falling Leaves
Sep 8, 2011, 10:25 PM
Have a couple people to help you work the yard sale, walking around, helping, watching people. We have an annual sale and make it a family event, everyone helps, it's not for us to make money but to get rid of excess.

One good rule is to price an item what "you" would reasonably pay for it if you saw it at a sale. You know the value of your things, but balance that with what you'd be willing to pay if you saw it somewhere.

If you have jewelry or valuables set them close to the cash table so you can watch them. If you are doing baked goods for a charity cause, suggestion is to maybe have that as a separate table and have someone else assigned there.

Don't try to do it all on your own. Family members are good helpers!!! Good Luck! They can be fun. Let us know how it turns out!!!

Realist
Sep 8, 2011, 11:37 PM
Don't sell any of your stuff, Belle; that's all good.

Just sell Bill's stuff, it's all junk!

It's best to have your sale when he's gone, too!

DuckiesDarling
Sep 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hon, it depends on a lot of things.

If there are any valuable first edition books and things then yes price separately, or you can box them up and put a price on each box. Alternatively, check and see if there are any used bookstores in your area. Most of them will actually pay you some per book that is good condition, potentionally more than if you sold at yard sales. They might also give you credit for the store and if you do buy books from time to time that might be worth doing just to save some room for now.

Clothes usually sell well but only if they are average sizes. Too small or too big will not sell well, children's clothes sell the best but since your child is a teen I don't think she wants to part with clothes :)

Worse comes to worse and things don't sell, check with the local Goodwill, they will even come pick up at your house and give you a tax deduction to boot :)

12voltman59
Sep 9, 2011, 9:53 AM
My recommendations on this since I have done it a few times---don't start out by putting too high a price on anything, the goal is to try to move as much as possible--you may want to think of putting boxes of related stuff together and sell them at one price.

The exception to marking prices----maybe come up with a ball park figure for certain sorts of items but price them a bit higher, with the idea that people are going to haggle with you over prices and let them work you down so they feel they "got a deal" on whatever they buy from you.

Selling clothes is a big seller---it seems that kids clothes really do sell well.

Do try to sell your books at a cheap price, what ya don't sell-if you have a Half-Price Bookstore in your area or another company that is like that chain, take your books to them---they buy pretty much most books and give a pretty good price--probably better than what you might get at a yard/garage sale.

If you have a few really high quality, expensive items----put a higher price on them--allowing some wiggle room for hagglers since people who do the yard/garage sale thing--- they do love to haggle.

The thing to go into such a sale is----not to really make money per se--but to simply move the items you have put out and get rid of them--towards the end if you have some things left that might still be decent----be prepared for at least a few people to offer to "take all of your stuff off your hands" for one price--if you get one of those folks--take their offer since your goal is to get rid of the stuff and not have to go and put it back in your closets.

Good luck, Belle.

onewhocares
Sep 9, 2011, 1:17 PM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the great advice. We are not really trying to have the yard sale to raise money but rather to clean the basement. When we moved into our newly built home ten years ago in January the weather was not really great to go through the stuff at that time. We were also taking items from my mother in laws who came to live with us back then. My aunt also died and left me all her stuff too. I have gone on the premise that if I have not touched it in five years, then it is an automatic yard sale item.

Bach, thanks for the links, Jenn...asking friends for help. Cat..great ideas- you too Volty. Realist.....you are TOO funny. Maybe instead of selling Bill's things ( although there are tons of clothes from all the weight he has lost over the last few years) I could put a sign on him. "Good cook and house cleaner. Likes his cocktails and snappy dresser" Best Offer. Ah...love him too much to sell him. How can you put a price tag on love?

Belle

onewhocares
Sep 18, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi All....

Just want to say THANK YOU to ALL who replied. This weekend we had a yard sale...first and LAST we will ever have. We have worked like dogs for the last three weeks gathering items in our home to sell. We were not really looking to make money, but rather to clean out our home to create room as my mom (another thread) has come to live with us. Well I am not a yard sale person but I had NO idea that there is a whole new and interesting contingent of folks whom I have not had the pleasure to meet....not sure they will be on my intimate dinner for eight list, but fine folks never the less.

We had a two day affair which was held under a tent and about an another 100 x 300 feet area. I was shocked at what was sold. The expensive and well known brands of thing did not sell readily but the shit sold. So much so that we made nearly 2500.00. Woo Hooo. Part of the proceeds are going to the local Counsel on Aging..the response was great.

Thanks for all the advice...the best thing was for all who were working to wear the same thing. Well as a caterer, I put everyone in the same polo shirt and that was great. We gave everyone a great welcome and and even better THANK YOU when they paid us.

You folks here are the best.

Belle

Realist
Sep 18, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm an old person, so I will accept donations, Miss Belle!

Just make the check out to Derelict Old Farts Home, in Florida.....Thanks

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Sep 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
lol Hey Miss Belle, throw a bunch of "Junk jewelry in a big zip lock bag and tell me what you want for it. Its cold weather jewelry making time, and if I'm going to be laid up, I might as well help ya'll out while I'm at it.:bigrin:
Hugssss
Cat.