PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Emotional Masochist
Aug 30, 2011, 10:35 PM
Is it really that important to let your doctor know about your sexual orientation? I never really thought it was such a big deal and i am actually not sure if I have told her. I was reading an article and it made it seem important but never really went into details as to why. I was hoping you guys could shed some light on the subject.
Thanks E.M.

Long Duck Dong
Aug 30, 2011, 11:16 PM
yes and no.... lol hows that for being hopeful......

lol a lot of it is personal choice, but with some issues, yes, telling the doctor your sexual orientation can be important, or at least sexual practices....

things like a anal prolapse.... if you are into anal sex, it can be better to talk to the doctor about your risks with future anal sex.... or oral sex with a mouth infection.... etc etc

my doctor knows that I am a asexual natured bisexual dysthimic..... and there are a few other things listed as well

I could spend the next hour explaining why the asexual nature is listed there, but its regarded the same as the dystimia, they are both affected by some types of meds, so there is a long list of meds, I can not take or be given....

from a partner aspect, being listed as bisexual, means that I can have a male and a female listed as next of kin / partners, in NZ and have both present in the event of a emergency..... I am not sure about other countries tho....

lizard-lix
Aug 31, 2011, 8:59 AM
I'd say yes...

If for no other reason, s/he might recommend preventive things that s/he otherwise might not.

I.E. If you are sexually active, getting Gardasil , the HPV vaccine, is probably a good idea, even if you are not in the target age/sex group. It is certainly not offered to 54 year old men.. But if I was active with new people, I'd get it.

The more your doc knows about your lifestyle, the more s/he can tune exams, education and preventive care to your real needs.

One of my buds, found a gay doc who caters to somewhat promiscuous gay men and really works with them to keep them healthy and safe. He swears by this guy.

bullhead69
Aug 31, 2011, 9:07 AM
It is also important for men that have sex with men to get the hepA and hepB series of shots.

zappafan
Aug 31, 2011, 2:59 PM
There are two areas with your question, one likely matters to your doctor, the other does not.

The area that will matter to your doctor is what your sexual practices are. For instance, if you practice oral and anal sex, then those areas should be checked for STD's as well as your genitalia, to ensure that there aren't infections in those areas. Many STD's that have genital symptoms will not have oral or anal symptoms. Those STD's are why some people who practice receptive anal sex get prolapses. The muscles can handle the action, provided lube, warm up, relaxation; but, the muscles cannot handle chronic, untreated infections.

What generally matters less to your doctor is your orientation. Yes, it is important. Yes, it affects quality of life. But, an orientation does not truly affect your risk of an STD, or the location of it. Your practices do.

So, instead of an orientation, tell the doctor what you practice, general number of partners, any health information about them you may have, and what you do for safer sex practices.