PDA

View Full Version : Denver and D.C. quakes :(

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Aug 23, 2011, 5:34 PM
I am hoping that all of our East Coast members are fine and well in light of the recent quakes? Marie and Rock, Jamie and Miss Belle, let us know how ya'll are doing!!!
And in D.C. my oldest daughter said she was feeding the baby, and she sneezed. A second later the house started to shake hard. When it was over her honey says, "Good thing she didnt fart, huh!" LMAO:bigrin:

Be safe an well M'Loves.
Your Concerned Cat

jamieknyc
Aug 23, 2011, 5:49 PM
I was outside when it happened, so I didn't notice anything until people started coming out of the buildings. Missed the excitement over getting a cup of coffee!

tenni
Aug 23, 2011, 7:31 PM
Our media stated that the quake was centred in Virginia and 5.9. It was felt in my area around Toronto but I felt nothing. My butt must be numb or something as I think that I was sitting?..:tong: One story involved a roofer and with the quake he nearly fell off the roof. This one lasted longer than the one in June, 2010.

elian
Aug 23, 2011, 7:52 PM
Just happened to be in 8th floor office bldg in downtown Baltimore, felt sort of like an amusement ride - for about four seconds and then it was over. You could certainly feel the tremors but no papers even shifted around on the desk.

I think it was probably a lot more severe in the epicenter near Virginia, they shut down high speed commuter rail for an hour or so and then ran the trains at slower speed anyway when they came back up.

redheadchick
Aug 23, 2011, 7:53 PM
I am originally from Maryland and I'm sure my family felt something, although I haven't talked to them yet. My friend's mom down there felt the house shake and another friend called me from work to tell me he felt it as well. That's the second earthquake in my area that I've missed. :( Everyone is okay though! :)

mikey3000
Aug 23, 2011, 11:36 PM
Conflicting reports say the Washington Monument is or isn't damaged.

My guy in Maryland felt it good. He was terrified. I have family visiting the DC area also felt it. Even here in Toronto it was felt. Me? I didn't feel a thing. Story of my life.

DuckiesDarling
Aug 23, 2011, 11:38 PM
Supposedly we felt here, but it wasn't anything more than we usually feel when Ft. Knox is having fun. From what the seismologist said the reason the quake was felt so widespread is that the rock on the East Coast acts like a bell since it's solid and not broken up like West Coast is with many quakes for many years.

The epicenter was a little town called Mineral, VA population 400, you can bet they were surpised more than DC which first thought it was a terrorist attack and felt relief when it was found to be a natural earthquake.

hgf33
Aug 23, 2011, 11:53 PM
I personally didn't feel it, but I was in the shower at the time and may not have noticed a small tremor. Other people in the area did, though. Pretty crazy!

BiDaveDtown
Aug 24, 2011, 5:22 AM
With earthquakes.. once you have made it through the initial rumble.. it's over. Aftershocks rarely pose a threat and yeah.. the chance of you being any real danger depends solely on where you are.. so if you're in a 19th century building... in a densely populated city... you're fucked.. but most of the states have urban and suburban areas that are spread widely and the buildings are not that old either.. if the epicenter isn't in the middle of times square NYC.. the death toll of a 5.3 to 5.9 should be ziltch.

elian
Aug 24, 2011, 5:24 AM
Conflicting reports say the Washington Monument is or isn't damaged.

My guy in Maryland felt it good. He was terrified. I have family visiting the DC area also felt it. Even here in Toronto it was felt. Me? I didn't feel a thing. Story of my life.

They may call it the Washington Monument, but I can't help but think "Clinton Monument" when I see its long smooth shaft. <wicked smiles>

Don't know whether it is damaged or not, there were a lot of rumors going around.

elian
Aug 24, 2011, 5:33 AM
Everyone worries about terror attacks and atom bombs 'n stuff but it's the severe weather that bothers me..still what i felt yesterday was mild considering the duration, if it had gone on any longer though there could have been serious consequences. In Japan I think they have automated the trains to automatically detect a quake and shut down. It would surprise me if they made the same investment on trains operated by humans here, "Huh? What's that?!" - by the time they figure out what's happening it's already over..that's not good. although I didn't hear about anything derailing or anything like that.

I think they primarily shut things down just to be safe (or is that "we don't want to be liable so everyone needs to evacuate now" ?) Funny story, most office buildings much better designed to handle earthquakes than the human body smashing into loose concrete or cars, but yet we were all told to evacuate. The fact that people don't know what to do scares me more than the Earthquake, fear and indecision incites panic in people.

I guess we live with and manage risk every day, the important thing is to still look at and cherish the positive stuff in your life.

void()
Aug 24, 2011, 9:17 AM
Just happened to be in 8th floor office bldg in downtown Baltimore, felt sort of like an amusement ride - for about four seconds and then it was over. You could certainly feel the tremors but no papers even shifted around on the desk.

I think it was probably a lot more severe in the epicenter near Virginia, they shut down high speed commuter rail for an hour or so and then ran the trains at slower speed anyway when they came back up.

Here in WV, some felt it, others did not. Me, wife, father-in-law were visiting the local super center Wal-Mart to pick up groceries. Her granddad needed a specific type of lighter, else we would have shopped elsewhere. Her mom was here at the house, felt it and called us. We were clueless. Mom back in VA felt it. No one was injured and afaik, no real serious damage became of it.

* makes note in self-achievement log 'survived earthquake' *

bullhead69
Aug 24, 2011, 10:12 AM
and the earth moved!!

bi_guybmoremd
Aug 24, 2011, 10:21 AM
I live in the Baltimore Metro Area...my first real experience of being in an earthquake and it felt like it lasted forever lol but was really only 15 seconds of decent shaking action. No damage here but now we get to worry about a hurricane woo-hoo!!!

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Aug 24, 2011, 3:35 PM
When I lived in Calif we were in the middle of an "Earthquake Swarm", and got to where we'd feel them, access them, then ignore them. A 3 feels like standing on the street and feeling a big truck or bus going by. A 4 feels like standing next to the train track when a train goes by. A 5 must be pretty scary. I was sleeping when the Northridge quake hit, and it actually woke me up. Few mins. later, on the toilet (I know..TMI) that the roll occured. Verrry weird sensation.
Its that weird rolling motion afterward that creeps me out. You get to where you feel a slight sick feeling to your stomach, and a bit of disorientation.
I'm sure one of these days there will be a big one up here too. But I'm not going to be too concerned unless I see smoke pouring out from the top of Mount Ranier...lol;)
Cat

lost1
Aug 25, 2011, 4:44 PM
Felt it in pa, just south of pitt

IanBorthwick
Aug 25, 2011, 9:29 PM
I can understand how it's scary for the rest of the Country. Out here in California, we don't really much care or notice unless it does serious damage. And they are rare. Compared to Hurricanes, they are usually small potatoes for total damage. Conversely, you all back east don't fret the storms as much as WE do here in California. It's all a matter of what you're used to, I suppose.

19Brady64
Aug 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
My wife felt it in Frederick MD, but was not sure what it was until I told her there was an earthquake. Her office building in Chantilly, VA had some damage but nothing major.

Now comes the hurricane!