PDA

View Full Version : Baby Steps

hgf33
Aug 17, 2011, 11:01 AM
Went to the doctor yesterday for some stomach issues, and had to fill out all that crappy paperwork.

I checked the "bisexual" box for the first time in my life. Might not seem like a big deal to you, but hey, baby steps!! It was kind-of a big deal to me! :bigrin:

I've never done this before, not even to my gyno, for 2 reasons:
Reason Number One:
I would've felt like an ass for checking it off after always putting "straight". I wasn't always lying to my doctor. It was simply because it had nothing to do with my care. If I was single and sleeping with both, then sure, I would've definitely put "bisexual", but I was totally monogamous with my boyfriend and she knew all about my wonderful relationship. I did, however, keep it from her after my boyfriend let me sleep with a woman. I just didn't have the heart to tell her and ruin the image. Odd for someone who doesn't care what people think, but sometimes I do care. A lot has to do with the demographic of the area. I try to be above the norm, to give those poor doctors a little hope for the city, lol! Buuut really, I just chickened out, plain and simple. I know, I know. Shame on me.

Reason Number Two:
My mom works within the health system. While I understand all the privacy laws, it's sort-of an understanding with her that, if she needs to look something up for me, that it's ok as long as I say it is. And if I say it's not, she's going to ask why.

I went to see her after my appointment and sat and talked for hours. We eventually got into some important conversations, talking about LGBT rights and all the discrimination within the community, and how sad and disgusting that is. She seemed to be all for bisexuals. I almost blew it by saying "we", but she understood that I was speaking "for" bisexuals, not necessarily myself, because I talk like that all the time. It's more like "we" as human beings, bc I am for the rights of ALL. Anyway, I mentioned how people mistake "us" as greedy or confused, and she seemed just as upset by it as me. Then I said "Why do people hate them so much, they like 'everyone'! That's a great thing!" She cheerfully agreed.

I wanted to come out right then. I didn't. It was such a lighthearted conversation about all sorts of things, I didn't know how to just blurt out a bombshell. Besides, her boyfriend was there. If I come out to her, I'm going to come out to her, privately. I don't care if he knows, but this is a big deal to me, and I don't need an audience. At least now I know she's really open-minded and accepting of various things. (A HUGE change from when I was younger. Must be a menopausal change in life perception!)

ANYWAY... geez I'm always so long-winded! Lol! Mostly because I'm a former writer, and this community gives me a place where I can open up. I don't have that opportunity very often, other than a couple of trusted people, so it feels really good. So yeah, I still haven't officially come out, but yesterday felt really good, and I think maybe someday I could at least tell my mom. The hard part will be telling my dad.

Say what you want, I'm proud of my tiny little baby steps! :tong:

Jobelorocks
Aug 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
I think it is wonderful that you are taking these baby steps! I can understand. It is hard for me to be honest with my gyno especially because I am a military spouse and if they know that I have multiple sexual partners, they assume that I am cheating on my husband while he is away and that is not the case. Also if it is found out that he sleeps with multiple people he could get in trouble if certain people found out. Henceforth why we need to work towards a society that is more excepting of people of all sexual identities. :three:

hgf33
Aug 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
I think it is wonderful that you are taking these baby steps! I can understand. It is hard for me to be honest with my gyno especially because I am a military spouse and if they know that I have multiple sexual partners, they assume that I am cheating on my husband while he is away and that is not the case. Also if it is found out that he sleeps with multiple people he could get in trouble if certain people found out. Henceforth why we need to work towards a society that is more excepting of people of all sexual identities. :three:

Thanks! I totally agree with you. It sucks, but sometimes we just have to play to the standards of the judgemental and unaccepting, for reasons bigger than our own. We'd all like to say that doctors are professionals and will treat you without bias, but unfortunately, that's not always true. I'm just gonna keep pushing for rights until we get them! :)