PDA

View Full Version : Queer Muslim leader El-Farouk Khaki on Studio 4

NotLostJustWandering
Aug 5, 2011, 2:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVIjWKmHSU&feature=share

tenni
Aug 5, 2011, 6:34 PM
Atiq
Thank you for finding and posting this interview. I'm not sure how to get to the part 2 section though.

One thing that I found interesting is when he said that he started the Salaam group in 92 and stopped it in 96 because everyone was expecting him to do all the work and that everyone thought that he didn't have any issues to resolve as a gay Muslim. It is good that he found the strength to start it up after the other man also started it.

I knew that there were moderate Muslims in Canada because I had seen some talking on TV. I had not seen this man though. He said that he thought that 911 helped /forced moderate Muslims to speak out more. Do you agree?

NotLostJustWandering
Aug 6, 2011, 5:29 AM
Atiq
Thank you for finding and posting this interview. I'm not sure how to get to the part 2 section though.

Wasn't there a link in the video itself? No worries, click here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtoYBVwcEKI&feature=share) I haven't actually watched the second part yet; Internet connection was horrible this afternoon and I am stretched a bit thin, trying to keep the balls rolling while fasting to the best of my ability.

One thing that I found interesting is when he said that he started the Salaam group in 92 and stopped it in 96 because everyone was expecting him to do all the work

Leadership burnout. Happens everywhere, but leaders of small communities are particularly susceptible to it. We here who have taken on organizing events for bisexuals in NYC may have bitten off more than we can chew... and we have hardly started our work.

and that everyone thought that he didn't have any issues to resolve as a gay Muslim. It is good that he found the strength to start it up after the other man also started it.

I knew that there were moderate Muslims in Canada because I had seen some talking on TV. I had not seen this man though.

He's very active on Facebook; send him a Friend request if you like. Works as an immigration lawyer. Met him and his bf when they visited NYC a few years back; they were a lot of fun.

He said that he thought that 911 helped /forced moderate Muslims to speak out more. Do you agree?

More precisely, the reaction to 9/11. Muslims of all types realized they had to speak out to defend themselves. Not the first time I've heard that one. Me, I was living in Hawaii at the time, hadn't yet embraced the faith and hardly knew any Muslims myself. Later, in New York, I was surprised how many people I met who told me they'd embraced the faith shortly after 9/11; it made them curious about Islam and after looking into it realized it was the religion for them. It was a bit unsettling to hear, because it almost made for a justification of the attacks. But that's the irony of life; you never know how things will turn around. Good can come out of evil intentions, and vice versa.