PDA

View Full Version : Summer flower pics

**Peg**
Jul 28, 2011, 2:49 PM
at least the hollyhocks seem to enjoy this extreme heat :

bullhead69
Jul 28, 2011, 3:49 PM
peg, 2nd and 4th pics are very unusual. never seen before. Quite pretty.
I think the first pic was a variety of campanula or maybe a verbascum. Night quite the right color for verbascum. All are pretty. I am bi not gay but I still like flowers and plants.

Long Duck Dong
Jul 28, 2011, 11:10 PM
beautiful flowers...... makes me wish for a bigger garden again.....

currently we have a small garden full of daffodils that are flowering in the middle of winter, but I would dearly love some holly hocks in there for colour.....

thanks for posting them peg....

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Jul 29, 2011, 4:43 AM
Quite beautiful Miss Peg..:}
Cat

**Peg**
Jul 29, 2011, 9:14 AM
thanks bull......

pics 2 and 4 were hollyhock blossoms backlighted by the setting sun. First pic is a campanula, http://snipurl.com/sgwne but we call them bluebells when they aren't cultivated - these were a gift from the birds :), hehe and they aren't even blue!

your basic common mullein is a verbascum, but the petals are the wrong shape as is their growth habit/form.
http://www.daytonnursery.com/encyclopedia/perennials/verbascum.htm

Thanks for your kind comments, I love hollyhocks. Last year I posted more flower pics but this year has been SO dry and hot that nothing else did very well.

thanks Cat :)

peg, 2nd and 4th pics are very unusual. never seen before. Quite pretty.
I think the first pic was a variety of campanula or maybe a verbascum. Night quite the right color for verbascum. All are pretty. I am bi not gay but I still like flowers and plants.

Quite beautiful Miss Peg..:}
Cat

csrakate
Jul 29, 2011, 9:18 AM
Beautiful pics!

**Peg**
Jul 29, 2011, 11:38 AM
thanks kate , LDD

:bigrin:

Troubleshooter
Jul 29, 2011, 1:27 PM
Peg, these are LOVELY! Thank you for posting them!

Falling Leaves
Jul 29, 2011, 11:28 PM
beautiful peg, thanks for sharing!!

DuckiesDarling
Jul 29, 2011, 11:51 PM
Beautiful pics, Peg. I wish my parents had taken pics of their robbed corn...three rows of corn, all partially shucked and eaten courtesy of a family of coons. We got to eat fresh corn one night and mom put up about four bags of corn but three rows....all those ears. Well I guess it was for a good cause....

But the hollyhocks are gorgeous, all the flowers around here are suffering a bit, not enough rain when we need it and too much when it does come.

elian
Jul 30, 2011, 6:53 AM
They look beautiful!

Sometimes I plant a few annuals but I haven't planted much of anything this year because the weather has been so extreme and I'd likely have workmen stepping over them because of needing a new roof. The previous owners loved roses and I did get one or two blooms from them. Some daylillies and irises. With the weather here they last about a week and then they are gone - the heavy rains beat up on them. I should've gotten a few pics.

Realist
Jul 30, 2011, 8:53 AM
Your flower photos reminded me of my late mother.

She went to Holland in the '60s and took miles of 8mm film of flowers and very little else.

My dad asked her why she wasted all that film on flowers? ......there was so much else to see.

She said, "I took movies of things I liked!"

I don't know how many times over the years that she set up the projector to watch that movie!

It made her happy.

elian
Jul 30, 2011, 7:54 PM
Hmm, yes - my mother and I went out to Oregon last Fall to watch my uncle get married and I was taking a lot of pictures of the side of cliffs in the Autumn where stonecrop once was and the like.

My mom couldn't understand why I was taking pictures of the side of "uninteresting" cliffs instead of people. Well, long story short it was all I could do to drag her off the jetway to come back, she has since moved out there and in the Spring time she FIGURED OUT why I was taking all of those pictures once the flowers were in bloom.